forum

Post mapping techniques that annoy you

posted
Total Posts
show more
Tamako Lumisade
Hm... "Suprise" beat between two sliders for example. Or short rhytm change.
Saten
Mixing 1/4 sliders with hitcircles or vice versa
Well, either that or a 1/2 slider stacking with a hitcircle. Same with doing it the other way around

This rarely happens nowaday though

Oh and squares
I know, I used in on a map of mine. Please kill me
Aqo
Squares are <3
especially if they're rotating

stop with the hatin' everybody ;_;

most hated mapping technique: copy-paste in bad taste.
Like, it's ok if the music has two parts that are exactly the same and the mapper uses the same objects only somehow rotated or mirrored to show that that's fine, but if parts of the map are just arbitrarily a complete copy of each other it's boring as hell to play.
Tshemmp

Aqo wrote:

but if parts of the map are just arbitrarily a complete copy of each other it's boring as hell to play.
I always start laughing when playing this map http://osu.ppy.sh/s/39031, it is so pathetic.
Bass
Only one thing which annoyed me.

This combination of slider + circle, used in neu or shounen ripples, very hard to hit.
Cristian

Bass wrote:

Only one thing which annoyed me.

This combination of slider + circle, used in neu or shounen ripples, very hard to hit.
This is the best awnser ever
Rokk
Anything which doesn't fit the music, as well as ninja spinners, double spinners and slider streams.
D33d

Aqo wrote:

Squares are <3
especially if they're rotating

stop with the hatin' everybody ;_;

most hated mapping technique: copy-paste in bad taste.
Like, it's ok if the music has two parts that are exactly the same and the mapper uses the same objects only somehow rotated or mirrored to show that that's fine, but if parts of the map are just arbitrarily a complete copy of each other it's boring as hell to play.
Yeah, this is what gives copypaste a bad reputation. Copying sections as-is is completely fine if it's for flow/presentation reasons or if the patterns are interesting enough. That's the key--if something's to be repeated, then it should either be small patterns to create a bigger pattern or a larger pattern or section which looks and feels satisfying. Copypaste can also work as a basis for altering different parts of a pattern, even if it's just to change how the pattern ends.

The main cause of copypaste being boring is if a pattern is boring to begin with. If it's not fun to play once, then it won't be fun to play again. Also, copypaste being used between differing sections doesn't usually make sense with the music. Choruses are the most obvious application, but verses will usually have a fair amount of variance.
tetsutaro
Hey, is this still on?

Being an advocate for quality easier maps (because I cannot play difficult ones, even after this long), I really hate that some of the currently so-called Easy/Normal is simply an endless stream of notes at 1 beat or 1/2 beat, with occasional pairs joined as sliders.
Pizzicato
rotating squares

jeezus christ my hand cant do that
meiikyuu
yeah...squares
Raging Bull
10-20 1/2 note spam.

Edit: I don't care as much if there's like sliders added in for variance, but 1/2 note spam when there are parts of the music or vocals that stands out more.
7H0R
Squares actually don't bother me all the much.

The one thing I hate the most is when a songs drain is so fast and unforgiving that you could be FCing the song, then you miss one note and you practically lose.
Prancer
SV changes just for symmetry. Man that annoys me, in 90% of times it's unreadable at first try, and a map should be readable at first try. If it isn't, then it's a shitmap.

Evil-spaced streams (this map is the best example)

Jumps that don't fit the song (oh look, let's use this song and put evil jumps everywhere roflmaolmaolmao lololol!!!!!1!!!1)

ztrot formations, 'cuz I can't read it (yeah, I hate this, it's a parcialized opinion)

DR above 6 + looong combos that make you FC or die hard.

Drain sections that don't fit the song at all/drain sections made with sliders with 0.5x SV.

OD above 6 in songs with tricky timing.

Triplets made with circles in parts of the song that doesn't feel like it (god, this map annoys me for that old technique)

Repeating/rotating jump formations.

Notes that don't fit the music.

COPYPASTE.
D33d

AkagamiNamikaze wrote:

SV changes just for symmetry. Man that annoys me, in 90% of times it's unreadable at first try, and a map should be readable at first try. If it isn't, then it's a shitmap.
A good map can be hard to read for some people, because different people find different things more readable. Funky offbeat 1/4 patterns can be confusing, but entirely fair when the spacing is used properly and the patterns are repeated enough for the player to get the point.

AkagamiNamikaze wrote:

COPYPASTE.
You are bad and you should feel bad. Copypaste is how music is made and this is reflected in compelling maps when used properly. Copypaste some patterns directly or modify them slightly to create a consistent feel in a map. If none of the patterns are interesting enough that they'd be fun to play more than once, then go back to the drawing board.
Magicphoenix
left-right-left-right jumps over the whole map
especially top-bottom-top-bottom...
D33d

Magicphoenix wrote:

I find screen-spanning jumps to be horrendous when they're overused and are very fast. They're good for the odd thrilling part, but too much repetition takes the thrill out of them and they become straight-up annoying.
emonite

Magicphoenix wrote:

THIS!
alex_98
most techniques of Hatsune Miku - Atama no Taisou , every diff
Mismagius

Magicphoenix wrote:

left-right are awesome

top-bottom plays very badly though
Jenny
mirrormapping, anyone?
D33d
If "mirrormapping" means symmetry, then it's only bad when it's overused.

Now, imagine this: You're playing a map and it reaches a crescendo. Suddenly, there's a satisfying pattern to finish the map and then a spinner. The map's reached a satisfying conclusion and then, suddenly, there's an awkward pattern that follows an extremely soft tag. Annoying out-of-time or extreme slowdown optional. Then a bloody spinner, which occurs almost over silence. No thank you.

Spinners in general annoy me when they're clearly being used as filler--that is to say, they're not following some wind-up or wind-down in some element of the music. They're just occurring incidentally, while the section of the music is more or less flat. Note that, in 'Windowlicker,' the spinners follow a descending moan that wasn't evoked as well with sliders.
djjsixpack
Continuing streams with erratic jumps placed between 1/4 beats such as the ones in this map and this one too sort of. They play very badly and ruin maps for me :<
Twaintoss

Magicphoenix wrote:

Yeah, annoying.

AkagamiNamikaze wrote:

(...) unreadable at first try (...)
DR above 6 + looong combos that make you FC or die hard.
If this is combined, it´s devastating mean. It's just a kind of fake difficulty.
Yeah, I'm not good at all, but this maps don't even give me the chance to improve.

tetsutaro wrote:

Being an advocate for quality easier maps, I really hate that some of the currently so-called Easy/Normal is simply an endless stream of notes at 1 beat or 1/2 beat, with occasional pairs joined as sliders.
Yeah, true that. It's so annoying; it feels awkward if the song your listening sounds interesting but the map that is supposed to support this feeling destroys this...

D33d wrote:

Spinners in general annoy me when they're clearly being used as filler
Yeah.
AliceMargatrout
Super-fast streams ending in a repeat slider.

Or, worse, compressed streams with repeat sliders thrown around in random intervals inside, especially if they don't always stick to repeating x amount of notes. Yuck.
Liondecker
Random doubles and superfast sliders are horrendous.
hagicaderu

Magicphoenix wrote:

exactly. And sliders after a very short spinner
DarkHenrych
Whistles. More than one every once in a while gets tiresome :/. I also despise absurd map layouts that have you going back and forth over just two or three notes for the sake of it. And never forget a bunch of notes 'streamed' so far apart that you can actually miss them all not only because you're going to fast, but also because they're so far apart you try to press far before you're on them. Whistles though, get a second mention. I don't mind claps or any other random sound (for real, tennis balls and doors) but whistles blow your focus, particularly when abused. T-T.
djjsixpack

DarkHenrych wrote:

Whistles. More than one every once in a while gets tiresome :/. I also despise absurd map layouts that have you going back and forth over just two or three notes for the sake of it. And never forget a bunch of notes 'streamed' so far apart that you can actually miss them all not only because you're going to fast, but also because they're so far apart you try to press far before you're on them. Whistles though, get a second mention. I don't mind claps or any other random sound (for real, tennis balls and doors) but whistles blow your focus, particularly when abused. T-T.
Use a skin that replaces the whistle sound with something else.
quiz-chan_DELETED
I hate excessive overmapping. My hate is inexpressible by normal words, so I'll just smash my head on the keyboard...

bg vfhnzj mgbznuk nhe,gqnhz jm hnbe nh6 nmjuwe mn hughj <----- SMASH SMASH
D33d

Quiz-chan wrote:

I hate excessive overmapping. My hate is inexpressible by normal words, so I'll just smash my head on the keyboard...

bg vfhnzj mgbznuk nhe,gqnhz jm hnbe nh6 nmjuwe mn hughj <----- SMASH SMASH
I should probably try that, instead of trying to form a well-reasoned argument. Nobody ever listens!
quaternary
When whistles are on every single note.

I can handle it in this (7x7x7) but not at all in happy30's diff here. I can't actually hear the song over all that crap.

Also squares. They never fit the song.
Mismagius

tuddster wrote:

When whistles are on every single note.

Also squares. They never fit the song.
wow rude
GiraffePants
Multiple spinners in rapid succession, spinners that only last half of a second, sliders that change velocity when it makes no sense and slow AR.

I don't really mind squares that much... as long as there aren't more than two in a row :P
DarkHenrych
I fixed the whistle problem (even on Droid, where I'm usually playing). The newfound hated technique? Normally spaced 'streams'. Stuff like this:
I can play compressed streams, and I can press most streams, but these things I just hate with a passion, they're all nicely spaced, but they play fast, and while I can hit 'em, I can't get 'em perfect. Mind it's an 'easy' map, but it's one of those things that really make me want to quit practicing songs :(. I wouldn't be so put off by it if I could at least play it on droid, but I can't, for the life of me, get 'em right, regardless of how well I can perform on other songs, like http://osu.ppy.sh/s/79498 or http://osu.ppy.sh/s/39325 , those streams don't work for me. Doesn't matter how I get into 'em :(. At least they're not as frequent in the maps I like to play.
I'd complain about jumps, but jumps can either make you or break you, so it's a to each their own thing. Some are well done, others... not so much. :)
VoidnOwO
:oops:
quaternary
SHARP TURNS ON SLIDERS WHICH DON'T GO TO ANYTHING IN THE SONG
RAGE RAGE RAGE JFBVTYFVDC^DVYyGYGFBSGNH*SUEFSENUNEhfsrngsrhng9ernmzuegSGISRU

Now that that's out of the way.
lots of little things
* High hp drain with too little notes (The Island (MaxNRG Remix))
* Grid snap when placing literally everything.
* Copypasta of large sections in the map, even when they're flipped. It gets really boring, really fast.
* Unexpected SV changes, except to emphasize something with a long slider.
* Really obvious notelimiting (Roko-Don's Taiko from StrangeProgram is simply awful). When done right it can be impressive - Ascension to Heaven, Warheit.
* Long intro sections that are much easier to hit than everything else - there used to be one in Atama no Taisou
* Heck, everything about Atama no Taisou.
* He Has No Mittens.
* Inconsistent jumps - a jump in one portion of a song, but the same part later on does not have a jump. Parts of the song that sound similar should "feel" similar, but not identical.
* Spinners over a measure which "should" be mapped or doesn't need a spinner - intro of With a Dance Number
* Breaks where there shouldn't be any - intro of With a Dance Number
* SV and spacing mismatch on faster songs - intro of With a Dance Number
* Busy or very bright backgrounds - With a Dance Number, No,39
* Custom skins that suck - Impossible (Nightcore Mix). Usually these end up forcing old-style hitburst behavior, which is impossible to read.
* Requesting you to download a skin for the "best experience".
* Star patterns where there shouldn't be any. For some reason I like the ones in The Creator [Saten] though, maybe because they are actually challenging to hit
* Mapsets where every diff ends at a different point/one diff is much longer - Clint Eastwood
* Title text showing up when not in a break/intro
* Countdowns
* Lead-in time.
* Mapping with distance snap turned off the whole time and calling it "Insane" (No pain, no game)
* Fast-moving streams (>0.9 distance snap)
* Slow-moving streams and fast-moving streams in the same map.
* Auto-stacking. I really like how Haru Haru uses 0 stack leniency to pull off some cool patterns. Sadly, I don't think it's rankable now?
* Following the music too well in irregular sections (Ascension to Heaven)
* Overmapping
* Undermapping
* Things that require a SB warning
* SBs that simply change the background image for no reason at all

tl;dr things that don't fit the music

I played a little more, and squares can be cool as long as they're not any faster/larger than Nemis's squares, they fit the music, and there is no more than 1 in a row.
Koko Ban

pretty simple but this always gets me everytime
Samothrace
Not sure how to exactly call it, but jumps that go 1 - 2 - 1 and the 2 have the same timing space as the 1.
I can do it when it's only 1 set, but put in 2+ in a row and it gets sloppy.

Also 2 note jumps i guess

El Koko
I hate it when beatmaps have beats.

On a serious note, I hate 2-note stacks and sudden slider speed changes.This beatmap is a perfect example.
show more