forum

Arcade operation?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
TooManyGames
I think osu! would make a great addition to an arcade's music game line-up. Have the devs ever thought about adding coin-op features to the game, kinda like how Stepmania turned into ITG/OITG. I'd love to make a touchscreen cab and operate osu! at our local arcade!
anonymous_old
It's being developed. Don't worry.
Topic Starter
TooManyGames
Freaking awesome! Is the project far enough along that you guys can let us in on some features for the coin-op version, like will it keep its online support and rankings and jazz like that? Will it allow operators to download and install songs right from the program? Any of that kind of stuff?
Derekku
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7842 Here's an older topic of the same nature (ps: try searching first next time in both the request AND completed requests forums)

An arcade mode probably isn't the biggest priority for peppy right now, though, so don't get your hopes up just yet.
Topic Starter
TooManyGames
I do apologize for not posting in the appropriate thread. I was just excited to see a freeware PC version of Ouendan available. I've thought for the longest time that it would make a tremendous arcade game so I hope it does come to light.

BTW, Challenge Arcade (our local arcade) is a beta test site for OpenITG. While we don't currently have a touchscreen machine available to beta test, I'd bet the owner would put something together to help. We have a pretty decent size and loyal rhythm game fanbase, so I'm sure we'd get good feedback from everyone who plays osu!
peppy
Of course, if you are hosting at a public location you do need to consider the legal implications of the content. This would be my main cocern in allowing the operation of an osu! arcade system. That said, for personal/private use, there are many arcade-specific functions in place and I have done substantial testing on a touchscreen. I can't give any timeline for further development of this functionality at the moment.
Gemi

peppy wrote:

Of course, if you are hosting at a public location you do need to consider the legal implications of the content. This would be my main cocern in allowing the operation of an osu! arcade system.
This. Although, he did say:

TooManyGames wrote:

BTW, Challenge Arcade (our local arcade) is a beta test site for OpenITG.
So basically they are not worried about this, since using OITG with it's ITG theme and ITG songs is quite illeal already. (Plus the hoards of custom songs that they most likely have there)

From your point of view releasing this for commercial arcade use would be quite problematic though. The easy solution is to release and not think about it further, but that might come back at you quite quickly.The only real solution I see is paying for song licenses, then selling the game with the licensed songs for arcade use. But that's a lot of extra work and requires quite a nice sum of money for a nice bunch of song licenses.
awp
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Gemi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
LuigiHann

awp wrote:

If the game consisted almost exclusively of Miku songs (a possibility, as there are apparently 41 ranked Hatsune Miku songs) wouldn't that bypass the music licensing issue?
I'd guess around 90% of Miku songs are covers of other songs, and the other 10% are original songs written by somebody, and that leaves 0% that osu! has legal rights to use.

One thing that may actually work for a public osu! would be if the venue was a bar/club/restaurant/orsomething that already pays an ASCAP and/or BMI license that allows them to have a jukebox or live cover bands... it's sort of a blanket licensing fee to play or perform copyrighted music in public. I doubt most arcades have anything like that, but as an arcade owner, you could look into it? While it technically wouldn't cover all of the songs used in osu (since many are foreign, or remixes, or otherwise not owned by the artists and songwriters represented by ASCAP or BMI), it'd probably be enough to keep anybody from asking about it.
Gemi
Topic Starter
TooManyGames
So the only major hurdle in releasing a coin-op version would be music licensing? I'm not even going to pretend I know anything about music licensing, but, if a band has a license to cover a song, and the cover band gives you free license to use that song in osu!, would that original licensing cover the usage in osu!?
Gemi

TooManyGames wrote:

So the only major hurdle in releasing a coin-op version would be music licensing?
You'd also need to research the possible patents related to the actual game play. The creator of the original game probably a has a few nice patents that they can use in court. The patents migh not be too solid, but the problem is that they are a big company with money to go to court, while the individual small developer probably does not have enough money to defend himself for long enough, basically leading in a result where he needs to accept what ever terms the big "bad" company sets.

This is of course only if the business gets so big that the patent holder even cares.

TooManyGames wrote:

I'm not even going to pretend I know anything about music licensing, but, if a band has a license to cover a song, and the cover band gives you free license to use that song in osu!, would that original licensing cover the usage in osu!?
Usually not, unless the cover license is very weird. Most likely you need to get the license from both the original and the cover band, which means twice the hassle.
anonymous_old
I suggest you talk to a lawyer about it, not people on the internet. (Not that people on the internet can't give good advice, but you can hold a lawyer to his word so if you're screwed you can screw the lawyer? =D)
Gemi

strager wrote:

I suggest you talk to a lawyer about it, not people on the internet. (Not that people on the internet can't give good advice, but you can hold a lawyer to his word so if you're screwed you can screw the lawyer? =D)
Been there done that. I've been going through this stuff with a few lawyers and other officials, and therefor claim to know what I'm talking about. Of course some things are different in other countries, but not too much when we compare western countries to each other.

As a side note, if a lawyer tells you that murdering someone is ok, does that make it ok? A lawyer can make mistakes too, and nothing is final before you get the court decision after a law suit. And not even then if there is a higher court that you can appeal to.
peppy

TooManyGames wrote:

So the only major hurdle in releasing a coin-op version would be music licensing? I'm not even going to pretend I know anything about music licensing, but, if a band has a license to cover a song, and the cover band gives you free license to use that song in osu!, would that original licensing cover the usage in osu!?
You'd also need to consider my say in it ;). While osu! is a freely playable game, there would definitely be some conditions on having it available in a public location. Of course, discussing this is redundant for the time being.

Really it would be nice to organise a pack of free songs which could be used for such a purpose, though.
anonymous_old

Gemi wrote:

strager wrote:

Been there done that. I've been going through this stuff with a few lawyers and other officials, and therefor claim to know what I'm talking about. Of course some things are different in other countries, but not too much when we compare western countries to each other.

As a side note, if a lawyer tells you that murdering someone is ok, does that make it ok? A lawyer can make mistakes too, and nothing is final before you get the court decision after a law suit. And not even then if there is a higher court that you can appeal to.
I wasn't talking to you, of course. You are one of the "people on the internet". =]
Intermezzo

Gemi wrote:

You'd also need to research the possible patents related to the actual game play. The creator of the original game probably a has a few nice patents that they can use in court. The patents migh not be too solid, but the problem is that they are a big company with money to go to court, while the individual small developer probably does not have enough money to defend himself for long enough, basically leading in a result where he needs to accept what ever terms the big "bad" company sets.
Outside of the US (and a number of other countries) there are no gameplay patents.
This means that if the original osu! gameplay was patented in those countries we may not distribute it there,
but does not stop us from doing so in other countries.
The name can be trademarked and some art can be patented which could lead to problems
if we use a too similar style / name.
If there was a lawsuit with the creators of the original game we probably would be sued for trademark infringement though.
Gemi

Intermezzo wrote:

Gemi wrote:

Outside of the US (and a number of other countries) there are no gameplay patents.
This means that if the original osu! gameplay was patented in those countries we may not distribute it there,
but does not stop us from doing so in other countries.
The name can be trademarked and some art can be patented which could lead to problems
if we use a too similar style / name.
If there was a lawsuit with the creators of the original game we probably would be sued for trademark infringement though.
This is quite true. For example in my country we don't have software patents at all. As US is the main market however, it's a thing that always needs to be considered.

Changing the name and getting rid of everything taken from the original game would help a lot and if you don't make a huge commercial thing out of it, they probably wont care at all after that.