forum

osu!mania: Always show keys

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +6
Topic Starter
Rokk
I'd like to see an o!m mod implemented (Or perhaps integrated into Easy mod) which makes the keys on the bottom of the screen always shown, not just at the beginning of the song.

Here's what I mean:

It would really help out players who can't get used to more keys.
Hanyuu
Yeah can be usefull for an option but not the default :)
Topic Starter
Rokk
Which is why I think it should be a mod or integrated into the Easy mod.
Aqo
This is more like something that's suitable for a simple menu option, not a gameplay mod
Zare
Not needed imo.
I'm retardedly bad at !mania, but that wouldn't help at all because no sane player would actually memorize which exact key he is pressing for which line
Hanyuu

Aqo wrote:

This is more like something that's suitable for a simple menu option, not a gameplay mod
she_old
Support. Would be handy to have.(as option)
Arvess
Yeah, I'd like this as a menu option.
I keep having trouble playing o!m with more than 4K because I'm always thinking about which key to press at each notes. This will help o!m beginners quite a bit, at least until they can remember and press the key naturally.
TheVileOne
I assume this would most commonly be used by those who are new to mania. I don't see why not. It's simple, and doesn't affect gameplay at all.
Zare
Could someone please explain me how this would help new players?
I never even once thought about which keys I press, but rather which finger I move to press the button I placed it on.
It's not like I think this would make osu! worse, i just don't get how it would improve the game if added.
bwross
All I can think of is that it guarantees that the information is one the screen long enough at the beginning of the song for people unfamiliar with the layout to check it. Similarly, it would be there during breaks, so it could help them find the keys again if they took their hands off the keyboard. I really can't see much use for it during play... it would just divide attention from watching the notes falling. I suppose if you somehow found that you were hitting the wrong keys (either a different column than you expected or no column at all) you could use it to correct that while playing... at the easy and normal levels the game is extremely forgiving of mistakes and it can take a very loooong time to die. But I think most people in that case would just restart.

As for implementation: it could be handled by the option to always show that in the options.
FrzR

bwross wrote:

All I can think of is that it guarantees that the information is one the screen long enough at the beginning of the song for people unfamiliar with the layout to check it. Similarly, it would be there during breaks, so it could help them find the keys again if they took their hands off the keyboard. I really can't see much use for it during play... it would just divide attention from watching the notes falling. I suppose if you somehow found that you were hitting the wrong keys (either a different column than you expected or no column at all) you could use it to correct that while playing... at the easy and normal levels the game is extremely forgiving of mistakes and it can take a very loooong time to die. But I think most people in that case would just restart.

As for implementation: it could be handled by the option to always show that in the options.
the keys reappearing during breaks is great. It shouldn't be that hard to put your fingers on the keys and play the song. Would add support but im not a supporter. :(
theowest

Zarerion wrote:

Could someone please explain me how this would help new players?
I never even once thought about which keys I press, but rather which finger I move to press the button I placed it on.
It's not like I think this would make osu! worse, i just don't get how it would improve the game if added.
I haven't played all that much osu!mania, and just like taiko, I can just spam my keyboard to see which keys I have to press in case I ever have trouble finding them. It's not that.
-Arsenal Magus-
Everyone's saying it's unnecessary and wouldn't really help at all.

I'm a new player, having a bit of a hard time with osu!mania because the keys aren't recorded to muscle memory yet and I always screw up when the pattern changes, but I definitely think having the keys always show will help me a lot to improve.

Having information on the screen is better than having none, especially for new players.
Bj007pro
I was just literally in Osu! asking if there was an option for this, (sorry for bumping a very old thread but it's better than making another for the same thing, right?) would love to see this been added as a mod option.
NSD

Bj007pro wrote:

I was just literally in Osu! asking if there was an option for this, (sorry for bumping a very old thread but it's better than making another for the same thing, right?) would love to see this been added as a mod option.
Hey I'm not sure if you play anymore but have you found anything like this?