forum

Slider editor enhancements: bezier line/point distance indic

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy
I don't see why this would need a toggle.
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old
Do what I do and Ctrl-H and Ctrl-J and move points until they match when flipped?
Topic Starter
Ephemeral

strager wrote:

Do what I do and Ctrl-H and Ctrl-J and move points until they match when flipped?
That does nothing to aid the construction of more complex sliders like bezier-figure-eights and longer than normal curves.

Why not add functionality instead of relying on hacky faux-workarounds?
anonymous_old

Ephemeral wrote:

That does nothing to aid the construction of more complex sliders like bezier-figure-eights and longer than normal curves.
I don't know about you, but I've made plenty of fancy symmetrical sliders using my method.

Ephemeral wrote:

Slider library?
Topic Starter
Ephemeral

strager wrote:

Ephemeral wrote:

I don't know about you, but I've made plenty of fancy symmetrical sliders using my method.

Ephemeral wrote:

Slider library?
Are you even reading the posts I make?

Symmetry does not determine the quality of bezier-mapped sliders, the number of points and the distance between them do. You can't even achieve symmetry in some circumstances with the current system because it's so touch and go with spacing, working entirely off the eye.
peppy
Why don't you use the grid o.o.
Derekku
Even though most people probably don't care, I support this. For perfectionists like me, getting a slider perfect takes a while and can be difficult (especially when one can't see the distance between anchors). A lot of times I end up taking a screenshot of what I'm doing, opening it in ms paint, and calculating the distance manually. YES I KNOW THAT THAT'S STUPID BUT FFFFFF :(

tl;dr +Support
anonymous_old
Read:

peppy wrote:

Why don't you use the grid o.o.
I really don't see the problem unless I am misunderstanding the problem. Post a screenshot or something to help clarify?
Derekku
Do you know how effing hard it is to count the number of grids in the smallest setting? Yeah. Exactly.
Ekaru

Derekku Chan wrote:

Do you know how effing hard it is to count the number of grids in the smallest setting? Yeah. Exactly.

Why not simply put a grid counter instead?

You choose two points on the grid, and it would make a line triangle (or just a line if it's on an axis completely). It would label the two straight sides (ones on the axises, I mean) with the amount of units, so you'd know how many vertical and horizontal grids your destination is.

That would be more useful IMO, and could apply to more things. Maybe even the hypotenuse would have the # of grids, for the direct number.

Would that help, or am I missing something?
Derekku
@Ekaru, that would help when trying to place notes perfectly too, I guess. Anything that would make it easier for me to stop being so OCD and perfectionisty would be great.

inb4 then just don't make them perfect
anonymous_old

strager wrote:

Post a screenshot or something to help clarify?
Someone please respond to this. =|

I still don't see a problem.
Derekku
Example: Say you want to make a pretty star-shaped slider and you want the arms to all be of the same angle/length. It's very hard to get it near-perfect without lots of trial-and-error and counting, which is hard to do in grid level 3. Showing how far apart your anchor points are would make this SO much easier.
MegaManEXE
I love slider art and I love making it but I have to say, I've done just fine making symmetrical hearts and stars and circles and loops using the current tools available, and I'm a perfectionist when it comes to these sorts of things. I guess I don't really see the problem, it's not like they have to be 110% flawless; you can eyeball it and still have the resulting slider look close enough that nobody is going to notice the difference between yours and one that is absolutely perfect mathematically without a lot of scrutiny.
anonymous_old
If you want a star, place five hit notes in the same place then rotate them in 72-degree increments. Then place slider points at their centres.

I'm a genius, eh?
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
I hope the picture clarifies.

The mouse cursor will be at the bezier point in the middle of the highlighted lines.

anonymous_old
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
And that is precisely why I want this feature implemented.

Observe my imperfect figure eight slider which looks the part, albeit unrankable due to overlap and has a horrifically uneven bezier map. This is the 'brute' manipulation of maps I was talking about earlier, which is what happens when people get frustrated trying to align things properly due to how finicky it is working off sight alone currently.

You on the other hand, obviously have quite a hand an eye for the construction of sliders and are thus able to do so by eye alone with relative ease (despite that slider not being specifically perfect, whatever). Not everybody has the eyesight for this and even a zoom wouldn't particularly help here. Being able to see the numerical length of such bezier points will allow a person with the utmost basic numeracy to utilize ratios to construct better sliders properly without spending half the time they do on it currently.
peppy
You could do a much better job using multi-part curves, btw.
Kert
I highly support this feature. It's really hard sometimes to make a nice looking slider.
For example this one

It will be good if the indicator can show also how many squares to the leftrightupdown are between two points.
mm201
Nice 10 month bump.

The relationship between the distance between control points and the resulting bezier is non-obvious, and other things affect the resulting shape moreso, so I see no reason for this.

Maybe field coordinates (as in SBE) could be handy.
Sir Minelli
What?

Torran
Support.
HakuNoKaemi
Supporting this