forum

Manga Suggestion Thread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Like ampzz's anime suggestion thread, I am going to try to create an organized place for manga suggestions. (Going to copy and paste from his op as well)

Just so that this doesn't turn into a complete spam-fest of people saying stuff along the lines of, "Read [insert manga title] because I think it's good!," we shall run through a few things to keep this nice and civilized without the likelihood of this turning into a chat room just between one to three people...

If you are after an manga suggestion, please state a few things:
  1. The genre of manga you want to read or general description of what you want; in saying this it isn't a necessity but it makes it easier for people to offer suggestions.
  2. Give examples of similar manga you may have seen. If you have a MyAnimeList or Mangaupdates account with a few titles of what you've seen already, the suggestion process will be a lot easier and more efficient for all of us.
  3. Ask for a few suggestions at a time that way you will have a decent backlog of manga to read whenever you finish off one particular title and read another.
If you are offering suggestions to particular users:
  1. Break up your suggestion so that similar manga are grouped together, or if they're after multiple genre requests, group them into their respective labels. Some people prefer being able to organize their plan-to-read lists by reading one genre at a time.
  2. Give your own short take on the manga titles. The description doesn't need to be a long, even a few words is better than nothing at all.
  3. Take into consideration of which manga they've listed whether it is a title they already read or a comparative title they're after.
  4. Offer a few manga titles at a time, even if they are one-shots or spin-offs
  5. Please link to either MAL or mangaupdates, when adding links, to avoid linking to actual releases and breaking forum rules.
    Just keep these in mind when helping another person figure out which manga they want to read.
In addition, to stop repeat request and allow easier referencing, I will try to update the op with each request and the answers to each request. If someone wants to help in the process, feel free to do so. (May be removed in the future)

That's about it, enjoy making requests and/or suggestions as there are quite a few manga lovers out there who would love to offer their opinions on what manga people might not have seen or known about, which are priceless or just simply skipped out completely due of its obscurity, myself included.
ampzz
ampzz approved.

Honestly though, I'm having a very rough time trying to find anything new or interesting that I might have passed on quite a while ago so I might as well be the first to do a recommendation request.

What genre I'm after:
Action-ish minus the adventure boringness unless it's actually compelling.

What I'm looking for:
Something along the lines of Shingeki no Kyojin.

What I've read before:
Just going to skim through a few titles I've read/currently reading -
  1. Ares
  2. Berserk
  3. Claymore
  4. Id
  5. Shin Angyo Onshi
  6. Superior
  7. Übel Blatt
  8. Vagabond
deadbeat
I had a rough list worked up, but Bliss gave me an idea(thanks)

If you like things like Naruto/Bleach/One Piece, then try manga like Fairy Tail, Beelzebub and Rave

If you like more action violent Manga, Try something like Vagabond, Gantz or Berserk

If you want something like comedy, then maybe Yotsuba&

Or if you just want like a slice of life kind of manga, maybe Azu Manga Daioh
Magicphoenix
@ampzz
Have you read Akame Ga Kiru yet?
http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=25132

Synopsis makes you think that this is a pretty light-hearted manga, you'll soon find out otherwise, this is no-where near the standard action-adventure-fantasies to kill time with =D
ampzz
Yep, been reading since the initial release and even before it started being translated since it seemed interesting.
Magicphoenix
What about Psyren? It's the last only-action manga I would know about
http://myanimelist.net/manga/3438/Psyren
It's with pretty cool protagonist as well as supportive cast and the plot is not oh-friggin-fuckin-god-so-awesome but still great nevertheless, makes you feel good
ampzz
Ah, I guess I should have said a bit more.

I have seen hundreds upon hundreds of manga, my MAL account doesn't even begin to show how much stuff I've read.
This might actually be incentive to finally get both sides of my lists completed.

This isn't even a complete list:
http://www.mangaupdates.com/mylist.html ... &list=read
UnderminE
Welcome back nii-nii.

;~;
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
@ampzz, I'm bored, so lets see how obscure is the stuff I recommend
siesta - one of the few action shoujos that I approve of (Not super epic like what you want though)
Extra Existence - a random manga written by the guy who wrote Ubel Blatt (only 1 chap is scanlated)
Hayate x Blade - a manga that talks about sword fighting, but it mostly focuses on comedy...
Judas - one of SnO's author's earlier works.. Not as good as Watashi no Messiah-sama, but it is decent series with more talks about religion and wondering who is right.

I'll go through more of my list later.
Cropzy
ecchi beam
Mogsy
I think this topic deserves to be stickied, just like the Anime Suggestion thread. Crowdsourced opinion seemed to work for that thread, too~!

Currently looking into jousei drama/comedy/romance. Some titles I've read that fall into this include:
  1. Chihayafuru
  2. Kuragehime
  3. Paradise Kiss
  4. Real Clothes
I haven't read that much in this demographic, but it's one I'd like to explore more of.
Magicphoenix
@Mogs
Can't say much about it since the Synopsis has it all. It's the first, only and probably last Josei I've finished reading. Really messing up your emotions and controlling them, pretty cool stuff =p

http://myanimelist.net/manga/28393/Sakamichi_no_Apollon
Mogsy
Ah, right, I've been meaning to read the manga for that. Thanks a bunch for the reminder! :P
UnderminE
Gantz.

Just copying the synopsis here:

"Thought your life was bad? Sometimes, death is worse. There is no salvation, peace, nor god waiting to receive you into their care. But wait, a god? Maybe you are talking about that big black ball stuck in the room with you. Now you are thrown into a game, fighting green aliens and robot monsters for the chance to survive.

A word of warning: Gantz is not for the faint-hearted, but neither is it as simple as it looks. Gore, rape and violence is rampant, as are portrayals of greed, violence, and all the ugliness that one sees in society today."

One of the best seinen manga imo.
ampzz

blissfulyoshi wrote:

@ampzz, I'm bored, so lets see how obscure is the stuff I recommend
siesta - one of the few action shoujos that I approve of (Not super epic like what you want though)
Extra Existence - a random manga written by the guy who wrote Ubel Blatt (only 1 chap is scanlated)
Hayate x Blade - a manga that talks about sword fighting, but it mostly focuses on comedy...
Judas - one of SnO's author's earlier works.. Not as good as Watashi no Messiah-sama, but it is decent series with more talks about religion and wondering who is right.

I'll go through more of my list later.
Seen all bar Siesta, completely forgot to add them to my lists.
Xanaehla
Xhinryuu
Love hina And Power! /o/
ampzz

Xanaehla wrote:

http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Willabel
This is not a place where you're supposed to link your manga list unless as an example to show what you have read before so people can actually help to recommend stuff which you might not have seen before.

Anyway, back to the purpose of this thread -

I'm after a manga that is as interesting as Akumetsu was.
Not fussed on a particular genre of the manga but I'm just after something that I may have missed (or have read before but forgot the title of it) during my years of manga reading thus far.
Mints
Prunus Girl is a good manga IMO. Worth the read~
Tsukimi Luna
Anyone knows goodies like Watashi ni xx shinasai or Koko ni iru yo~ Both from Tooyama Ema
Shouja mangas... with ok artwork with simillar storylines ;-;
Harp Note

Yuu-Chii wrote:

Anyone knows goodies like Watashi ni xx shinasai or Koko ni iru yo~ Both from Tooyama Ema
Shouja mangas... with ok artwork with simillar storylines ;-;
Haven't read shoujo for a while so I don't remember much. Anyway, I had read the first and the second not, but when I think about a manga similar to "Watashi..." it comes to mind Akuma to Love Song (Mangaupdates, MyAnimeList). The main character is very interesting, not your typical shoujo protagonist, can't say the same for the plot, but i liked it, you can read about that in the links.

Recomendations:

Holyland (Seinen/Martial Arts)

Summary: Yuu is a high school kid who doesn't really fit anywhere. To find a place he can belong, be accepted, he will do anything. However one thing leads to another and he is forced to fight to keep his place, his holyland. (Mangaupdates)

One of the best I had read, great character development, realistic fights, and apart from that, really inspiring.
nurazrinzulkaffli
i like shoujo manga
Senritsu
Arisa is a veerryy good manga~
Still on going, and it's a shoujo manga :D

Must read that~! (:
The Winner Man
Taiyou no Ie is a really good one to read despite not having many chapters so far
Lance
Recommendations for yuri mango? I want something heavy in relationship development (something not like Prism pretty much.) It doesn't have to be long or even very well written. I'm just looking for something that makes me feel like the little girl something I can enjoy.
whitegrave
anyone ever read the lucifer and the biscuit hammer?
read that shizz
Sherbert

ampzz wrote:

Ah, I guess I should have said a bit more.

I have seen hundreds upon hundreds of manga, my MAL account doesn't even begin to show how much stuff I've read.
This might actually be incentive to finally get both sides of my lists completed.

This isn't even a complete list:
http://www.mangaupdates.com/mylist.html ... &list=read
Maybe try Btooom? Or Osama's game? Osama's game takes place in high school though it's quite interesting. Whereas Btooom takes place on an island.
Luna
I'm currently looking for manga to practice my Japanese reading, here's some things I'd like them to have:
  1. Real-life applicable vocab - The story should be set somewhere in today's real world or at least no hugely fantastic setting or timeline. School life, slice of life, stuff like that usually works well.
  2. Vocab should be reasonably difficult/easy - A bit harder to pin down, but as long as you don't give me stuff targeted to babies or super-convoluted dialogue-driven plots that you'd need a university degree to understand it should be okay. As a point of reference, Death Note is barely okay - anything more complicated than that will probably exceed my skill level.
  3. I prefer Seinen manga, but am generally okay with anything really. It's for learning after all. However, if you give me shoujo manga at least have the decency to choose more mature ones like Life.
  4. No sports manga; despite fitting my criteria quite well this is the one genre I absolutely cannot stand.
  5. If it's romance, try to stick to romantic comedies or something.
  6. Preferrably no furigana since they get me to cheat involuntarily, but this is really just a minor point.
Just suggest anything that you think might fit these criteria, unless the manga is extremely well known I probably haven't read it.
Thanks!
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
I have never tried it myself, but according to a friend of mine said Yotsubato! is great for picking up japanese because of the very simple vocabulary
[Maid] NekoRyo
if you like some weird manga and horror try this :3
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/mahou_shoujo_of_the_end/

or this story [This one has good story]

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shinigam ... _onegai_o/
Luna
I have read Yotsubato quite a while ago, it is indeed a great start but nowadays actually a bit too easy for me. Just in case anyone here is interested in nice beginner level manga, Crayon Shin Chan is on a similar level as Yotsubato.
Will take a look at the other suggestions, thanks!
nakimushineko
Cute adventure with Romance. one of my favorites.

http://mangafox.me/manga/magico_iwamoto_naoki/

If you want an Action-Adventure. this one is I recommend. deym exciting manga desu. :3

http://mangafox.me/manga/psyren/
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Luna, I guess you are proficient enough that you can probably read anything you want, given a dictionary and lots of time, so just read the raws of soemthign that is translated and see how you compare (pretty sure you are already doing that though)

Also, aren't seinin magazines usually filled with furigana since teh older audience can read it (the one manga volume on my desk is filled with furigana)? Shonen series should technically have easier vocabulary for a younger audience (However, I don't want to talk about all the made up terms people add in for special attacks and the like)
Luna
Nah, furigana are the helpful little kana next to kanji that indicate readings - I'm happy that Seinen manga don't have those since it forces me to actually learn kanji compounds instead of cheating. Sure, I'll have to look up more stuff, but it really speeds up learning.
I'm just so used to people around me knowing the term that I derped a bit by using it without an explanation xD

The main reason for my request was just to get a few recommendations on manga with semi-realistic settings and interesting storylines since when I tried picking some randomly, they almost all ended up being either utterly boring or mostly useless for studying due to super-specific or fictional topic vocab.
ampzz
Even though this is tedious, why not:
  1. Scan your manga onto your computer or likewise search for a Japanese raw available on the internet.
  2. Use Gimp, Photoshop or any editing software to remove the furigana.
  3. Save it as an independent folder and only reference back to the correct raw for quality checking.
  4. Profit?
It's something a friend of mine got me to do for him. Sure it took a while, but I picked up a better understanding of kanji by doing so.

Complex kanji compositions are present in content heavy stories such as Akumetsu for example.
tlburns13

[Maid] NekoRyo wrote:

if you like some weird manga and horror try this :3
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/mahou_shoujo_of_the_end/

or this story [This one has good story]

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shinigam ... _onegai_o/

If you haven't read Mirai Nikki its right along these same stories, and that first one you quoted was really weird ha
deadbeat
can someone suggest anything good to read?
i'll read nearly anything >_<
ampzz
I'll link you a bunch of recommendations when I get home, deadbeat.

Will update this post.
show more