forum

Better Song Shuffle for Osu! Title Screen

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +5
Topic Starter
Nintyboy245
I would prefer to have different music play modes besides the shuffle on the title screen. I like to use osu as a background for playing Minecraft and other games, and i keep hearing the same songs over and over again. I think it would be best to make a better shuffle, or make the songs play in order, or make different modes for both. Because it's kinda annoying hearing the same song over and over again when you're playing a video game.
theowest
related to this request http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/118222
different, obviously.
bwross
Actually, it's kind of the opposite of that request. That request wants to guarantee that a specific song always plays instead of all the other songs. This request wants all the songs to play, avoiding repetition.
deadbeat
is it just me, or is the request title misleading?
Kuro

deadbeat wrote:

It's just you.. jk

But really... Someone should seriously fix that title.

On topic: I never hear the same song unless I go to the song select menu.
theowest

deadbeat wrote:

very. I don't see how this has to do with the different game modes.
deadbeat
OP: can i suggest something like "better song shuffle in main menu"
Topic Starter
Nintyboy245
Sorry i'll fix it. :P
[Kanzaki Ranko]
I have an idea. It would take up a bit more resources than it does atm, but its what iTunes and foobar do for shuffling music (WMP/Winamp don't).
1. Game parses a maplist. Exclude all duplicates.
2. Randomize this maplist.
3. Dump shuffled playlist on RAM.
4. Play as shuffled maplist says. Add every play to a counter for that map (still on RAM).
5. When it would play a map that already has a counter, clear counters for all maps and go back to 2.
Stefan

Kuro wrote:

It's more meant that the same Songs are more played as others. Seriously I hear this Map like 20 times per day.
[Kanzaki Ranko]

Stefan wrote:

Kuro wrote:

It's more meant that the same Songs are more played as others. Seriously I hear this Map like 20 times per day.
This is normal, PRNGs (Pseudo-Random Number Generators) aren't accurate with big numbers.
Full Tablet

Stefan wrote:

Kuro wrote:

If that map is repeated more than others, maybe the song that gets played is randomized with each difficulty as a entry in the randomized shuffle.

I haven't noticed songs repeating frequently in the title screen (though I have ~29k beatmaps). Have anyone count the number of songs played and songs repeated? People generally aren't good at sensing randomness (normally they expect elements to repeat less than it would happen with true randomness). A solution is changing the shuffle method to make it less random to avoid repeating songs.
Wishy

Stefan wrote:

Kuro wrote:

Same. Apparently the more diffs some song has the more likely it is to get randomed since the game random works per difficulty and not mapset. Meaning if you have 2 mapsets, one with one single difficulty and another one with 10, you should get the same thing all the time.
Kuroneko-sHerald
Birthday Paradox \o/

Maybe this could be useful (taken from a popular audio player):

Shuffle modes keep an internal randomized list of tracks in your playlist and play tracks according to their order in that list, so you don't get repetitions until all tracks in your playlist have been played. Shuffle's randomized track lists for each playlist are re-created on restart or when starting/advancing playback with another shuffle mode. Note that manually selecting a track to play in your playlist will result in shuffle playback continuing from that track's location on the randomized list, which is often perceived as repetitions: each time you manually choose a track to play (by doubleclicking it in playlist, etc.), shuffle plays the same tracks after that track; use 'Play → Random' menu command or the 'Random' button when you want to continue playback from a random track instead.
bwross
It sounds like the title screen still does things by diff, unlike the random button on the play screen which was changed a while back to work by map set.

Although I have noticed some behaviour when hitting the random button that suggests that it's using a low dimension PRNG... which is probably to be expected, it doesn't really require a serious PRNG and probably uses a default LCG.
Topic Starter
Nintyboy245
Bump. Would like more people to see this. Just having that shuffle feature is annoying. why would you put a pause button and such there if it just shuffles anyway?
theowest

Nintyboy245 wrote:

why would you put a pause button and such there if it just shuffles anyway?
Pause buttons are used so you can pause the music. You mean the next button? That does randomize the next map that's going to play, but clicking on the previous track button will give you the previous map you listened to. I guess it works like this in pretty much every other music player..
Would you rather expect the next track button to bring you the next map in alphabetical order (default sorting: Artist)?

Try not to just bump if the latest reply isn't older than a month, but your post here is valid since you did contribute with a question.
Topic Starter
Nintyboy245
I apologize. I wasn't sure of the rules here. so i did that to test about it. again, i apologize. :)