forum

have a problem about playing maps with video 16:9 [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Peace Bird
today while i playing op/ed of some animes with 16:9 screen format(two black areas both top and bottom of the screen in osu)
i found that the video screen broadened and the two black areas disappeared.
and the left and right sides are out of the screen loooooooooooool
what's happening lol
theowest
how about you give us a screenshot of that?
shift + F12 in-game
VoidnOwO
:oops:
Saten
That's because it scales to fit your aspect ratio
bwross
It's not scaling to aspect ratio. It's scaling the video's height to the height of the display, but keeping the original aspect ratio. Which means that the sides get cropped when the video has a wider aspect than the display. It looks very ugly... half because of the cropped sides, and the other half because it takes borderline quality videos and zooms them to larger than the display so you can see every defect clearly, which just makes it even worse to play with video.

There is a related suggestion over in features: t/118256
Saten
I said scale, not stretch
and to fit whenever you use 4:3 or 16:9

Yes it scales, and a portion of the content is outside the area.
bwross
If it was "scaling to fit your aspect ratio", then that means that it takes your aspect ratio and scales the image to FIT. But the image doesn't fit... it's cropped. If it was scaled to fit there would be letterboxing. It's scaled (I didn't say anything about stretching (it isn't stretching the height would keep the sides but distort the aspect)) ... but scaled to match the height of the display, not scaled to fitting aspect ratio. Which is what the problem is.
peppy
If you add any storyboard element, it should restore to the 4:3 behaviour for the time being. You can use this as a permanent work-around if you own the map. For maps which you are not in control of, a feature will be added to scale backgrounds using a method of your choice in the near future.
Topic Starter
Peace Bird

theowest wrote:

how about you give us a screenshot of that?
shift + F12 in-game
yeah, when i tried to play with widescreen, the whole video was shown completely.
i guess that in normal condition, 4:3 screen format(i use 800x600) should play widescreen video with two black bars in both top and bottom.
but now the widescreen "stretched" that the two black bars disappeared...and the left and right part are cropped too :(
it looks so...ugly, yeah.
MillhioreF
This should be resolved in the next update - peppy did some fixes to unnatural zooming of videos and backgrounds.
Topic Starter
Peace Bird

MillhioreF wrote:

This should be resolved in the next update - peppy did some fixes to unnatural zooming of videos and backgrounds.
Fine!
thank ppy very much.
i asked the same question in our own forum and they said they didn't know why either. :o