forum

Letterboxing Videos

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +18
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
If you ever play widescreen videos, the video is scaled so that it fills the full height of your screen, so if you don't play osu! in a 16:9 format, it cuts off the sides. Also, if you enlarge the video too much, the video just looks ugly xD.

To solve these problems I wanted to introduce 2 types of letterboxing for videos, one where you can limit the video to the width of your screen and just have black bars on top and bottom and another where you force the video to only be viewed at its original size or a set scale of its original size.

Temporary Workaround:
Put this in your .osb code (change videoFile to your video name)
Video,0,"videoFile.avi"
S,0,0,0,1,0.75

This workaround letterboxes it to your playable area, which is not the greatest solution, but as a temporary fix, it sort of works....
bwross
I support this. I will note that technically it's not stretching for height, it's really a zoom (the sides wouldn't be chopped if it was just a vertical stretch). And it's been pretty ugly. I'd much rather have things letterboxed... issues with video quality become less of a concern when it's not zoomed in your face as well.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi

bwross wrote:

I support this. I will note that technically it's not stretching for height, it's really a zoom (the sides wouldn't be chopped if it was just a vertical stretch). And it's been pretty ugly. I'd much rather have things letterboxed... issues with video quality become less of a concern when it's not zoomed in your face as well.
Woops, thx for pointing out that it is not strectched. Changed the wording. Sorry about that.
Jinxy
Bumping and supporting, an option should be given to the mapper as to letterbox or zoom. This also affects BGs, by the way.

Other than the zoomed in Video or BG looking blurry, some BGs are made so cropping them just looks really bad. The map I'm working on is a good example.
Note the left side:
Half the character is gone, and as I will be mapping 3 other maps with the same BG but highlights the other characters, I would prefer not to change it, unless someone has a very good idea on how to.

The workaround on the starting post, while working for the Video, ends up overzooming the BG when in widescreen.
Soaprman
Supporting this. Some videos are way too good to be cropped.

Maybe just have two checkboxes: force original proportions and force original size. Letterboxing would occur as necessary. And mappers could choose whatever combination of them they want.

Having it as an option on the player's side might be useful too...
pimp
support
Codesterz
Currently when a beatmap has a video with a 4:3 aspect ratio and you are playing in a 16:9 resolution its zooms in on the video to remove black bars. In doing so it cuts off part of the video. Part of the top of the video is cut off and part of the bottom is cut off. I would like to see a setting in the options menu that disables the video from being zoomed in and cutting off part of the video(see screenshots below for an example). Currently I am re-encoding all 4:3 videos to have black bars on the side of them to fix this issue but honestly its a long annoying process(that shouldn't even need to be done) as I have hundreds of beatmaps that have a 4:3 video. I know some people dislike the black bars and would rather have the video get cut. This is why I am requesting it as a setting you can enable or disable in the Options menu.

This is a screenshot of a video for one of the beatmaps in osu

This is a screenshot of that same video being played in osu

As you can see the letters are getting cut off and part of the bottom of the girl is being cut off.

When the option is enabled the video wouldn't get zoomed in and would add black bars on the side of the screen.