forum

Hitsounds are completely disappearing when lowering volume [confirmed] [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
grumd
When I lower osu! overall volume to something low enough (for example, 15% by timing points and 15% by settings) some hitsounds disappear completely.
I can not hear hitnormals, hitwhistles, hitclaps, but hitfinishes and sliderticks are still clearly audible.
If I lower the volume ever more (but not to 0), finishes and ticks disappear too.
It doesn't depend on system volume though; with 100% Windows volume and 10% osu! volume everything is silenced, but with 10% Windows volume and 100% osu! volume I can hear everything clearly.
Also, for example, if I have found out that they are silenced at 15%, and then set 16%, hitsounds come back with a decent volume.
So, I guess that there is some minimum volume which turns off the hitsounds completely.
Jenny
Confirming this - also, around the same volume, there sometimes are some hitsounds that feel like "clashing", as if they were stuck in-between two volume settings or smth
tiper
Confirming. Seems like a problem. I know that this problem has low priority, but it isnt a reason to abandon it, is it?
Low
I've had this problem for ages and always thought it was the environment, not osu!.
TheVileOne
I can't tell whether this is a bug or not. If I have volume at 15%, a 15% hitvolume is just really low audio. I can't determine whether or not I can hear the whistle or not. How can you hear something at 15% volume lowered down to 15%. That should be close to 0% volume. It's the equivalent to 3% volume. If you lower volume to 10 percent, that's 1.5% volume.
Full Tablet
I tested setting up my headphones at 100% Volume (while I normally use them at ~15% volume) in windows audio settings. Tested with music volume 0%.

1) 100% Timing Section Volume. 100% Master Volume. 2% Effects Volume: I could hear hit-sounds.
2) 100% Timing Section Volume. 100% Master Volume. 1% Effects Volume: I could NOT hear hit-sounds. (Could still hear nightcore beats and combo breaks).
3) 99% Timing Section Volume. 100% Master Volume. 2% Effects Volume: I could NOT hear hit-sounds. (Could still hear nightcore beats and combo breaks).
4) 100% Timing Section Volume. 99% Master Volume. 2% Effects Volume: I could NOT hear hit-sounds. (Could still hear nightcore beats and combo breaks).
5) 100% Timing Section Volume. 20% Master Volume. 10% Effects Volume: I could hear hit-sounds.
6) 100% Timing Section Volume. 19% Master Volume. 10% Effects Volume: I could NOT hear hit-sounds. (Could still hear nightcore beats and combo breaks).

I could hear the music fine with 1% Music Volume and 100% Master Volume.

It seems the problems happens when the effective effects volume goes below 2%. Probably rounding Integers issues?

Also it seems I blew out my right speaker of my headphones testing this ;_;.
Nevermind, I think I just lost some auditory sense in my right ear while doing this....

With more common volume settings, this problem may happen with maps that have quiet Timing Sections Volume settings (For example, this happened when I was playing certain map, I couldn't hear hitsounds in a 30% Volume Timing Section, and then I could in another Timing Section with 50% Volume).
Topic Starter
grumd

TheVileOne wrote:

I can't tell whether this is a bug or not. If I have volume at 15%, a 15% hitvolume is just really low audio. I can't determine whether or not I can hear the whistle or not. How can you hear something at 15% volume lowered down to 15%. That should be close to 0% volume. It's the equivalent to 3% volume. If you lower volume to 10 percent, that's 1.5% volume.
My headphones are powerful enough to recognize hitsounds at 5%.
I repeat, windows volume 5% and osu volume 100% — I hear everything fine
windows volume 100%, osu volume 5% — I do not hear anything.
TheVileOne
I'll let another mod confirm this. I'll just point out that 5% osu volume to a 15% hitsound volume is the equivalent to 0.75% actual volume off the hitsounds. 10% goes to 0.5%, 5% > 0.25%. It's probably a rounding issue like FullTablet suggests. Any point below 10% hitsound volume would round down to 0%. At this point we're talking about a fraction of a percent of volume, which is very small.
Topic Starter
grumd

TheVileOne wrote:

I'll let another mod confirm this. I'll just point out that 5% osu volume to a 15% hitsound volume is the equivalent to 0.75% actual volume off the hitsounds. 10% goes to 0.5%, 5% > 0.25%. It's probably a rounding issue like FullTablet suggests. Any point below 10% hitsound volume would round down to 0%. At this point we're talking about a fraction of a percent of volume, which is very small.
That looks quite reasonable! That may be the case, but... When I don't hear any claps, I still can hear finishes. Hm?
TheVileOne
I think it's time to confirm this.
MillhioreF
Did some testing and it indeed happens. I didn't even need to use volume sections in a map - 13% universal volume and 5% effect volume made effect sounds disappear from the menu - however, the same didn't happen for 13% universal volume and 10% effect volume.

100% volume * 0.13 * 0.05 = 0.65% = sounds inaudible
100% volume * 0.13 * 0.1 = 1.3% = sounds audible

Gotta be a rounding error with volume going beneath 1%.
peppy
Please test on latest test build. Should hopefully work better now.
MillhioreF
Looks good!