forum

[Archived] Guide to Optimizing osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dexus
I'm not having issues, I just want to share optimization settings that I've found out that have really turned things around for me.

Here are some various options that you can change throughout windows and osu! to better optimize your game play. This is written mostly for windows 7 and are optional but are all highly recommended to be done.

1. Close all heavy processing applications Obvious reasons, lets your computer focus on osu! and makes it a lot more stable
a. if you have around 80+ processes running you have way too much running that aren't needed. Try figuring out what they are and safely disabling them

2. Fix your pen tablet Works for wacom tablets, not sure about others
a. all the instructions are here http://viziblr.com/news/2011/8/13/fix-my-pen-makes-your-wacom-tablet-just-work-on-windows-7.html

2. Lowering the bitrate of your playback device Fixes latency issues
a. right click your volume control options in the tray bar
b. go to 'playback devices'
c. select your audio device and click on properties
d. go to the advanced tab
e. change the default format to a relatively low format. Make sure it doesn't mess up on you, it happens to some people
f. click OK twice and you're good to go

3. Changing Performance options in windows Fixes latency issues and taxing of gpu
a. open the start menu
b. right click computer and go to properties
c. click on the advanced system settings
d. click on performance settings
e. select 'Adjust for best performance' You can enable thumbnails by checking 'Show thumbnails instead of icons' and if you don't want the 98 theme check 'Use visual Styles on windows and buttons'

4. Disable windows theme towards osu! Cleans up jumps and makes everything a lot more responsive.
a. find your osu! shortcut
b. right click it and go to properties
c. click on the compatibility tab
d. click on 'Change settings for all users'
e. check 'Disable visual themes' and 'Disable desktop composition'
f. click OK twice and enjoy

5. Changing graphics card settings Makes a big impact on the game in various ways I will try to get the settings for other graphics cards if people give me the way they do it. I don't own anything but NVIDIA.
a. right click desktop and go to NVIDIA control panel
b. click manage 3D settings
c. turn threaded optimization off
d. set 0 maximum pre-rendered frames Driver 296.10 is the last version that supported 0 maximum pre-rendered frames
e. force vsync off
f. after these changes restart your computer for it to take full effect

6. Change graphics settings within osu! Makes it easier to see and reduces latency issues along with stabilizing gameplay
a. Have osu! open and go to options
b. select DirectX for Renderer
c. select unlimited (during gameplay)
d. Use a moderate size screen resolution fullscreen or windowed, the choice is yours
e. disable combo bursts, combo fire, hit lighting, shader effects, and softening filter. Snaking slider is optional, it can make it easier to read maps.

7. Offset the Audio Greatly improves accuracy and helps better your game play.
a. while in the options select the audio tab
b. Run the Offset Wizard and listen to the music and see if the pings play in line with it. It's recommended to use the tutorial song as a reference, or the offset wizard song by peppy http://osu.ppy.sh/s/4659

8. Change your mouse polling Increase accuracy in movements
a. Download this as a zip file
b. Extract and follow the directions

9. Increase mouse speed in game slightly Works best with tablets from personal experience, reduces drag
a. go to osu! options
b. go to input
c. set mouse sensitivity to 1.3x, 1.4x, or 1.5x It's a personal preference and how much you can stand the cursor jittering

That's all I have found / felt like writing. If you have any more optimization settings please do tell.

Planning on adding screenshots
Marcin
It sounds more like How2bepr0 tutorial than optimizing...
Kuroneko-sHerald
Essentially make Windows 7 like XP :roll:
peppy
* If you are disabling desktop composition, basic/high contrast will not help at all. High contrast will offer no advantage over classic/basic anyway, so feel free to remove that point.
* Do NOT use low end PC unless you have an old PC. It will cause your timing precision to decrease and reduce internal calculations to the point you may not be able to achieve the same results. It is meant for ONLY low end PCs (ie. <1ghz).
* Universal Offset isn't for input-output latency. It is to line up effects to music.
* If you want to use an optimal skin, use the default. It has optimisations beyond any custom skin can offer.
* Full dim the background will not increase performance.
* Suggesting a specific nvidia driver version is outright wrong. It may work well for you, but won't for everyone (especially much newer or older cards).

Keep in mind all these tips are only valid if your PC is more than 5 or so years old. Any newer hardware can run osu! fully geared out without any worry.
Full Tablet

Dexus wrote:

2. Lowering the bitrate of your playback device Fixes latency issues
a. right click your volume control options in the tray bar
b. go to 'playback devices'
c. select your audio device and click on properties
d. go to the advanced tab
e. change the default format to as low as it can go, commonly 16 bit, 44100 Hz
f. click OK twice and you're good to go

7. Change graphics settings within osu! Makes it easier to see and reduces latency issues along with stabilizing gameplay
c. select 60fps (low latency) for Frame Limiter
e. Check 'Low-end pc' Don't take offense, it's not making fun of your pc, it's helping it
It seems those steps will only help in some computers.

If I set my playback rate to 44100Hz I get crackles in my sound (48kHz is the optimal playback rate in my PC).

60fps (low latency) still has a very noticeable latency when using the keyboard or mouse/tablet, it is better to have 250fps or more while playing (but 125fps is acceptable enough). Actually, there is no reason to not use unlimited frames unless you want to save energy or there are problems with your PC's cooling system.

Setting the Low-End option will disable snaking sliders, which increases the difficulty of reading them while playing.
RBRat3

peppy wrote:

Keep in mind all these tips are only valid if your PC is more than 5 or so years old. Any newer hardware can run osu! fully geared out without any worry.

Like a 2000px hitlighting with 800px animated hit-bursts XD

peppy wrote:

* Do NOT use low end PC unless you have an old PC. It will cause your timing precision to decrease and reduce internal calculations to the point you may not be able to achieve the same results. It is meant for ONLY low end PCs (ie. <1ghz).
This bit I was unaware of... Been using it forever.
Topic Starter
Dexus

peppy wrote:

* If you are disabling desktop composition, basic/high contrast will not help at all. High contrast will offer no advantage over classic/basic anyway, so feel free to remove that point.
* Universal Offset isn't for input-output latency. It is to line up effects to music.
* If you want to use an optimal skin, use the default. It has optimisations beyond any custom skin can offer.
* Full dim the background will not increase performance.
* Suggesting a specific nvidia driver version is outright wrong. It may work well for you, but won't for everyone (especially much newer or older cards).

1. I suggested high contrast black because it's easier on the eyes and I felt a slight difference in latency. I can remove it though.
2. There's more to it than quickly disabling all the niceness of osu! ? Do tell more
3. the delay from the computer to the screen will always be there, I only said it improves your accuracy and this is because of what you said, it lines up the music. I didn't say anything about it reducing latency
4. I only spoke about visual appeal to players. Invisible 300s help see along with semi-transparent hit circles. Some custom skins people use are poorly made, not to upset anyone. The default skin is great, but the only downfall is you can't see easily through stacked notes and the hit effects are distracting at times.
5. Full dim makes it easier to read the map. I did not speak about computer performance, I only said that for the storyboards and videos.
6. I suggested this version because it's the last version that supported 0 pre-rendered frames. Nvidia dropped support for it.

as I stated all these settings were optional. Some have really made a difference for me. My computer is only a year old and running osu! with everything at default is unbearable for me. Nothing is wrong with the game, it's mostly windows getting in the way of the game.

On that standpoint most people I've spoken to about changing most of these settings have said it made a difference, especially the one about disabling themes towards osu!

---

Full Tablet wrote:

It seems those steps will only help in some computers.

If I set my playback rate to 44100Hz I get crackles in my sound (48kHz is the optimal playback rate in my PC).

60fps (low latency) still has a very noticeable latency when using the keyboard or mouse/tablet, it is better to have 250fps or more while playing (but 125fps is acceptable enough). Actually, there is no reason to not use unlimited frames unless you want to save energy or there are problems with your PC's cooling system.

Setting the Low-End option will disable snaking sliders, which increases the difficulty of reading them while playing.
The crackling sounds like an issue with your computer that should be fixed. But essentially it's setting a relatively low bitrate as to alleviate delay. I will add more to it.

I was surprised when I found out that if you force vsync off in the control panel for your graphics card, use the vsync option in osu, and then offset it in the audio wizard it comes out really nicely. I've tried variating frame limiters all the way up to unlimited. Unlimited has an issue of dragging behind on some maps with lots of objects and plays inconsistently. vsync is all you need honestly, it's the most stable and fastest response you can get.

I've been playing 4 years without snaking sliders and I've been doing fine. I will add it in as optional to enable though.

---

I corrected most of it. Just trying to help people here.
thelewa

Dexus wrote:

I know Renard has some good insight in how to optimize osu! so hopefully he posts some of his tips here as well.
I wouldn't recommend anyone to follow any advice from Renard, I'm speaking from experience. Also, he's banned.
lolcubes

Dexus wrote:

3. the delay from the computer to the screen will always be there, I only said it improves your accuracy and this is because of what you said, it lines up the music. I didn't say anything about it reducing latency
You will not notice the delay on screen. Offset is there to line up hitsounds with the music, not approach circles. Breaking this to "fix" the screen latency is just plain wrong. Anyone who plays for accuracy will tell you they listen to the hitsounds, not look at approach circles (which are gone when you use hidden anyway).
Topic Starter
Dexus

lolcubes wrote:

You will not notice the delay on screen. Offset is there to line up hitsounds with the music, not approach circles. Breaking this to "fix" the screen latency is just plain wrong. Anyone who plays for accuracy will tell you they listen to the hitsounds, not look at approach circles (which are gone when you use hidden anyway).
So it's the sound playback and not the monitor? I've only recently used the audio offset and I don't know much about it to be honest. How do you determine the best settings for it? I set mine to +10ms for now and it seems to be working great. I'll be sure to correct what I wrote as well.

Edit:
Okay, after messing around with it and using the tutorial song as a reference I really noticed the effect of the offset. I was thinking that it was something with the music being delayed to fit the monitor's delay. I was sorely mistaken, sorry!
-Life
Do you have/know something similar but on Linux. Sorry I don't use Windows :cry:
makemecool123
Is this useful for mouse players?