forum

Winter 2013 Anime Season First Impressions

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
It is that time of year again. Time for the Winter 2013 season of anime.To make people's opinions easier to read, Like last season, there will be a master chart of each person's point of view up in the op, so if you can, please mark your opinion of a series as Good, Bad, or Neutral/Wait (as in wait to see what happens later before judging). I will try my best to keep it updated, but knowing me, I will get behind. If some other forum moderator can keep it updated, I will be very happy.

(Format: Name of anime: (score summary), people in favor of the series | people neutral about the series | people against the series)

AKB0048 Next Stage: (2|0|0), blissfulyoshi, Momochikun | ? | ?
Amnesia: (0|2|1), ? | Mogsworth, Tenshichan | blissfulyoshi
Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman: (0|1|1), ? | Mianki | blissfulyoshi
Boku Ha Tomodachi Ga Sukunai NEXT: (5|0|0), blissfulyoshi, excellionn, Lance, Nyaruko Cthulhu, Tenshichan | ? | ?
Boku no Imouto wa Osaka Okan: (0|0|1), ? | ? | blissfulyoshi
Chihayafuru S2: (2|0|0), Mogsworth, Nyaruko Cthulhu | ? | ?
Cuticle Tantei Inaba: (0|2|2), ? | Lance, Mianki | blissfulyoshi, Mogsworth
Da Capo III: (2|2|1), Elsie, Tenshichan | blissfulyoshi, Momochikun | Magicphoenix
GJ-bu: (2|1|0), blissfulyoshi, Lance | Mogsworth | ?
Hakkenden Touhou Hakken Ibun: (0|1|1), ? | Tenshichan | blissfulyoshi
Inferno Cop: (2|0|1), blissfulyoshi, Yuugoh | ? | Mogsworth
Ishida to Asakura: (0|0|2), ? | ? | blissfulyoshi, Mogsworth
Kotoura-san: (4|1|0), blissfulyoshi, Lance, Magicphoenix, Tenshichan | Mogsworth | ?
Line Offline: Salaryman: (0|0|1), ? | ? | blissfulyoshi
Love Live!: (4|1|0), blissfulyoshi, Magicphoenix, Mogsworth, Tenshichan | Lance | ?
Mangirl!: (0|2|0), ? | blissfulyoshi, Mogsworth | ?
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha: (6|1|0), blissfulyoshi, Lance, Magicphoenix, Mianki, Mogsworth, Nyaruko Cthulhu | Tenshichan | ?
Minami-ke Tadaima: (3|1|0), Elsie, Nyaruko Cthulhu. Tenshichan | blissfulyoshi | ?
Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo: (5|2|0), blissfulyoshi, Magicphoenix, Momochikun, Shina, Tenshichan | Lance, Mogsworth | ?
Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru: (6|2|1), blissfulyoshi, Elsie, excellionn, Momochikun, Nyaruko Cthulhu, Tenshichan | Magicphoenix, Mianki | Mogsworth
Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A Specials: (1|0|0), blissfulyoshi | ? | ?
Sasami-san@Ganbarnai: (5|0|3), Lance, Magicphoenix, Mianki, Tenshichan, Yuugoh | | blissfulyoshi, Mogsworth, Momochikun
Seitokai no Ichizon Lv.2: (2|1|0), blissfulyoshi, Momochikun | Lance | ?
Senran Kagura: (0|3|2), ? | blissfulyoshi, Mianki, Tenshichan | Lance, Mogsworth
Senyu: (2|0|0), blissfulyoshi, Mogsworth | ? | ?
Tamako Market: (3|1|0), Lance, mathexpert9981, Yuugoh | Momochikun | ?
Vividred Operation: (2|0|1), blissfulyoshi, Tenshichan | ? | Lance
Yama no Susume: (2|0|0), blissfulyoshi, Mogsworth | ? | ?
Zettai Karen Children: THE UNLIMITED - Hyoubu Kyousuke: (1|0|0), blissfulyoshi | ? | ?

To help in posting, here are sample layouts for you:
Good Anime
Neutral Anime
Bad Anime
ampzz
Don't even need to see these before slapping them onto my list:

Will watch:
  1. Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman
  2. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT
  3. Chihayafuru Second Season
  4. Courteousy of Zettai Karen Chilfren: The Unlimited - Hyoubu Kyousuke
  5. Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
  6. Mondai-Ji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?
  7. Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru
  8. Sasmi-san@Ganbaranai
  9. Savanna Game
Refuse to watch:
  1. Beast Saga
  2. Hetalia: The Beautiful World
  3. Puchimas!
  4. Senyuu.
  5. Tamako Market (lol KyoAni)
  6. Vividred Operation
Giganscudo
Yay these charts were useful to me :D it was good getting to check out the public's opinion of the anime before watching it yourself.
Anyway since I did it last time I thought I may as well do it again :p
ampzz
Explain how it's an 'easier response'?

After each show airs individually all of them will be listed in the main post regardless...
Nya-nyan_old
I am gonna mostly watch boku wa tomodachi ga sukunai next 8-)
Ava
Will watch:

- Hetalia: The Beautiful World
- Vividred Operation
- Mangirl!

Refuse to watch:

- Senran Kagura
- Ishida to Asakura
- Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman
- Beast Saga

And neutral for the rest of the anime.

Edit:
-Added 2 new anime to the list
Giganscudo

ampzz wrote:

Explain how it's an 'easier response'?

After each show airs individually all of them will be listed in the main post regardless...
This chart is still somewhat useful. If you forgot the series name you could always check it up there or like you see the chart and find out the shows that you think will definitely be good/neutral/bad. Though I will admit it will be kinda useless after a few weeks :P. So sorry.

ampzz wrote:

Will watch:
Refuse to watch:

But... Like your earlier response you listed the shows that you will watch and refuse to watch even means that you are in favor or against, even if the ones you will watch may be neutral you still did it even before the show airs. However the ones you refuse to watch will still be red. (though there may be a off chance will will watch it).

This chart allows you to pick shows you refuse or support before it airs. It should serve as a support for an "easier response" but you are correct in saying after the show is individually listed it is useless so its alright :D.
Lance
Certainly will watch:
  • Minami ke Tadaima
    Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT
    Chihayafuru Second Season
    Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
    Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru
    Puchimas!
    Tamako Market
    Vividred Operation
    Savanna Game
    Sasmi-san@Ganbaranai
Everything else will be based on how much time I have on my hands.
NoHitter
Yes! The Monogatari movies are finally out :D

And about this season's anime... From the looks of the descriptions, not a season I will enjoy.

Will watch:
Savanna Game

The rest I'm really neutral about. Will probably pick them up if people say they're good.
California
I certainly hope that Minami ke makes a comeback from its second and third season
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Just a few notes:
I won't put any shows in the main post until it airs somewhere (pre-air is fine)
I am still deciding whether or not to include the weird continuations of series (A-side, Girls und Panzer???? xD)
I am not going to put the chart in the first post since that would confuse people about what actually aired.

Now, to my votes. (Excuse my casual tone)

AKB0048 Next Stage:
(Going off web-rip) 3 songs fully animated with singing, dancing, and bullets plus all the same humor and personalities as last season. Add in a very impressive episode 1 budget, and you get an amazing episode 1 in.

Boku no Imouto wa Osaka Okan:
Wondering how to properly name things was not my cup of tea. I could barely laugh throughout the episode. More often than not, I had a ? floating in my mind. Dropped.

Well, I am super-hyped for this season with both AKB0048 and Love Live airing this season. I will have no shortage in songs I want to map and shows I will be dedicated too (2 shows that I will enjoy every week, for sure, is basically better than any season I had in a while).
ampzz

Giganscudo wrote:

But... Like your earlier response you listed the shows that you will watch and refuse to watch even means that you are in favor or against, even if the ones you will watch may be neutral you still did it even before the show airs. However the ones you refuse to watch will still be red. (though there may be a off chance will will watch it).
The ones I've stated are either because I know what the series will be like from reading the prior source or they just generally disinterest me regardless.
I will be updating my post when each show comes out to include a one line response like last time.
Suzu_old_1
Looking forward to watch Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru.
Already read the manga.
Faust
Mangirl, maybe.
Mogsy
I will probably end up watching a lot of the airing stuff, but I will defintiely be watching:
  1. Chihayafuru season 2
  2. Amnesia
  3. Savanna Game
  4. Oreshura (fuck remembering that whole name)
  5. Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman
  6. Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
  7. Mondai-Ji-Tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?
  8. Cuticle Detective Inaba
  9. Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
  10. Yama no Susume
Tesu
Happy
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Inferno Cop
I don't think there are words to describe how stupid these 2min felt. The animation is so horribly cheap but the ending was so ridiculous. I think I have to watch another ep.
noneed
Savanna Game certainly looks interesting.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Technically counts as a winter anime, so adding it in.

Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A Specials:
Pretty much everything you got from the main season and then some. All of the yuri jokes and ridiculous mahjong xD. In addition, they seem to have a slightly larger budget with the grapes in the last scene having a decent animation... Oh well, the harvest is ready, so time to reap what was sown.
Yusuzu
Will watch:
  • - Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
    - Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman
    - Courtesy of Zettai Karen Childreen - The Unlimited
    - Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
    - Cuticle Detective Inaba
    - Savanna Game
    - Amnesia
    - Another Shoujo that I hadn't noticed.
Loading_old
I was really happy
D.C. III <3
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Guess I should bump this thread

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha:
Dark Flame Master became a Hero!!! Well here we are with yet another popular light novel. This one has been adapted to many different manga (including a 4-koma that should have been animated xD), so you probably know the plot. If you don't, basically the entire story is based on war economics with a bit of humor scattered here and there. For me, it was amusing to watch, but their animation budget is so small. Ugly textures + random bad CG + cut out backgrounds...gah. Oh well, if you can look over the horrible animation, you'll probably enjoy the show.

I'll update with the 3min long shows later... (most of them aren't that great imo)
FrzR
looking forward for Haiyore! Nyaruko-san Season 2 this january 15. *wiki said.
Cropzy
Needs more panzer
Cropzy
UnderminE

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Inferno Cop
I don't think there are words to describe how stupid these 2min felt. The animation is so horribly cheap but the ending was so ridiculous. I think I have to watch another ep.
Yeah animation because the producer is "Trigger" and:

Their first work lol
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Updated the initial post. Will post a few of the reasons below (quite sleepy so my writing will be of questionable quality)

Zettai Karen Children: THE UNLIMITED - Hyoubu Kyousuke:
Zettai Karen Children spinoff.. haven't seen one of these for a while (not to my memory). Oh well, as a fair warning, please at least know a bit about the universe before watching this because it helps to know who the characters are since they don't really introduce them or how psychic powers work. Beyond that, the show itself was okay. The animation were usually passable, but they cheaped out on explosions and other areas. Teh rest of the art was passable, nothing too special. The only problem I had was that I found it hard to be engaged in the show. It has been a while since I read the series, so I am still a little unfamiliar with the characters, but Hyoubu did not troll enough in the episode to make it entertaining. Oh well, I am willing to give the show another chance.

Love Live!
It was basically everything I wanted of the series, cheesy plot, trolls, a straight person to be trolled, new songs, and plenty of money being spent on dancing animation. The only thing I have to complain about is how the op and ed sounds worst than their normal singles. Oh well, Maki's piano cover of 愛してるばんざーい!was great.
Magicphoenix
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Started reading the manga just 2 days ago and then an animated episode of it yesterday lol, really neat nevertheless, lovely characters and setting + perspectives are really nice

Not sure, looks like standard-harem but the heroine proved to be quite different from what I've ever read/seen. Could turn out top or flop, let's see (dun like osananamiji-heroine tho)

Da Capo III
Mianki
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Seems cool, interested to see where this anime goes.

Senran Kagura
Yay boobs! Didn't get bored or thought this was utterly stupid. Was a lot better what I expected from a anime which was based on a game which main point was 3D boobs on 3DS.

Was watchable, will watch a few more episodes too se if this gets interesting.

Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman
Pretty fun anime to watch, it's from the same creator as Lupin III and you can instantly see that from characters. Pretty much the same setting too.

Cuticle Detective Inaba
Wasn't that bad but don't feel like watching anymore of this.
Elsie_old
Da Capo 3

It was good, I felt totally calm while watching. The characters are charismatic (loved Charles) and the story is good. Looking foward this.

Minami-ke Tadaima

I felt no difference from other seasons, except that the animation has improved, and the songs of op ed and changed. Until the op is pretty cool.

Pretty funny looking foward this.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Hakkenden Touhou Hakken Ibun:
I really need to stop looking at action shoujo. Of the 2 I have seen, I have liked neither. Oh well. The anime has nice character designs....but that is about it. Action screens were boring. Very few jokes. Plot seemed fairly generic and dry with very little drama. Overall, a fairly boring watch imo.

Da Capo III
They had so many chances to use more harem humor, but they didn't use them. There are time where I think this might be fun to watch, but I am pretty sure I won't get the humor I want. Oh well, the rest of the show is typical harem stuff. Lots of budget on fanservice while creating an unintersting plot line. Oh well. I will give this show one more chance to impress me before tossing it aside.
Lance
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Economics, demons and bouncing PLOTS. What isn't to love?

Senran Kagura
More PLOTS, less economics. Not really feeling it.

Love Live!
Idols doing idol things. It's okay.

Cuticle Detective Inaba
Meh.

I'll get around to other things eventually.

Edit: I got around to it.
SPOILER
Sasami-san@Ganbarnai
Lewd. But nice. But lewd.

GJ-bu
Feels generic, but in a good way. I wouldn't put this nearly on the same level as Sasami, but it's still fairly decent.

Seitokai no Ichizon Lv.2
*I know it already aired on NicoNico, but since I'm now watching it because it's now airing on TV I would include it in this season*
Oh god why did they change VAs. Might be watchable. Dunno yet.

Boku Ha Tomodachi Ga Sukunai NEXT
Abused Meat.

Tamako Market
Kyoani finds a way.
Watched a few more series.
SPOILER
Vividred Operation
Good GOD this is bad. I mean, I knew the guy who created Strike Witches was involved, but I didn't think it would follow SW's formula so closely. I'm going to give it the three episodes and out rule, but I want to drop this now.

Kotoura-san
The first half of the episode is a bit dark, but the contrast between the first and second half was done very well. Probably the sleeper of the season.

Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo
Generic shounen. Meh.
Mianki
Sasami-san@Ganbarnai
Oh man, I have no idea what this anime is about but I'm loving it. So far my favourite anime of the season <3
show more