forum

[in-game] Lyric File Format

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +59
Topic Starter
jemhuntr
LRC files, which refer to lyric files, are used for adding timed/synchronized lyrics to songs as they play. I would like osu! to be able to read these files which could be placed inside map folders. Lyrics would show on a blank space in the main menu. It could also be an option for mappers to show lyrics while playing and customize where it would show. This would save time for storyboarding the entire song with lyrics.

wutwut? WUT IS DIS LRC FILE U TALKIN' BOUT??

Anzo-nii wrote:

the format is something like
[00:12.00]Kininaru~
[00:17.20]Kuchibiru...
[00:28.25]Yume nara
[00:29.02]Atarashii Sekai...
[mm:ss.xx]jan jajannnnnn

Wikipedia wrote:

LRC is a computer file format that synchronizes song lyrics with an audio file, such as MP3, Vorbis or MIDI. When an audio file is played with certain music players on a computer or on modern digital audio players, the song lyrics are displayed. The lyrics file generally has the same name as the audio file, with a different filename extension. For example, song.mp3 and song.lrc. The LRC format is text-based and similar to subtitle files.

It would also be nice if we could have our own lyric file format, such as OSL. This would allow us to create per-syllable timed lyrics, more customized lyrics font and design, per-line location of lyrics, and other awesome animations and stuff like we see in most anime OP and ED timed subtitles. Although, this might need its own lyric editor that is exclusive for making osu! lyric files.
ReVeNg3r
Whose want to add lyrics, they still will add lyrics using SB so maybe add only for english songs or toggle button for it :/
Saten
I thought the title said "irc" lol

This way of adding lyrics would save hours of time.
Though I'm not really familiar with the file format.
Anzo
^the format is something like
[00:12.00]Kininaru~
[00:17.20]Kuchibiru...
[00:28.25]Yume nara
[00:29.02]Atarashii Sekai...
[mm:ss.xx]jan jajannnnnn

^Stepmania uses LRC format for the lyrics of the song... but I think SB is enough for now...
(although using LRC format will save more time, but it should be something more customisable like in .ASS files... *subs common in anime videos*)
Ephemeral
I'm considering developing similar feature for automated storyboarding at some point in the future, so I figured I'd throw in my support here as well
Topic Starter
jemhuntr
aww yeahhh I got stars
btw, I'm planning to add more detailed stuff to the OP when I get home (or maybe not)
stuff similar to what Anzo-nii mentioned ^.^
bwross
I think the killer app for a subtitle format here is multi-language support... that's something that's not done as easily with SB (unless you want all the languages on the screen at once... which is okay with, say, Japanese lyrics + English translation, but it you want to add a few more translations it gets messy fast). Although, I suppose the format doesn't have to support that itself, osu can be made to mux the correct file.
Saten
Why would you add more translations?

I don't think anyone would bother doing that

Anzo-nii, why are you stealing my Saten ;w;
bwross
Right now, nobody would bother doing that... it's a lot of work. But if it's just a text file instead of another bunch of images that need storyboarding, then it becomes trivial to add an additional translation... because translations don't require syllable based timing like lyrics, the line by line timing of one can easily be carried over.
tarticulate
god damn it, where are those support stars when you need them
VoidnOwO
:)
Topic Starter
jemhuntr
I actually made this thread for the main menu lyrics so I could sing along while I'm idle and chatting. :)
Anzo

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

I actually made this thread for the main menu lyrics so I could sing along while I'm idle and chatting.
^WOW... This one.. I can imagine this right now...

Saten wrote:

Anzo-nii, why are you stealing my Saten ;w;
^ohhh.... don't worry 'bout that =w= (not stealing her, just like chu-2)
Saten

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

I actually made this thread for the main menu lyrics so I could sing along while I'm idle and chatting. :)
actually..
p/764339
Topic Starter
jemhuntr

Saten wrote:

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

actually..
p/764339
that idea is SOOO unrelated to mine. What I'm proposing is a generated lyric panel for the main menu. And that has nothing to do with the beatmap storyboard which was created for gameplay. :3
PROGUY
I support this. It would be way better than those texts in SBs that are not only all over the place (English at the bottom, Japanese at the top, etc.) but they can also be flashy and distracting.

Not only that, it may make the gameplay smoother since SBs are usually heavy in both filesize and gameplay performance. LRCs are incredibly small and convenient for media players and StepMania.

It would also be useful if you can disable the SB, but not the lyrics (and probably vice-versa).
Saten

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

that idea is SOOO unrelated to mine. What I'm proposing is a generated lyric panel for the main menu. And that has nothing to do with the beatmap storyboard which was created for gameplay. :3
What I mean is that in the future, you wont be able to listen to music in the main menu when the time comes.
Topic Starter
jemhuntr
wth is that serious >.<
wait are you talking about the osz2 stuff?
but if music will not play on the main menu, then what's the point of the osu! logo there if it will not go with any rhythm?
DJNightmare
OMG, osz2 whyyyyyy...

I totally support this idea, but i have no ability to add any stars yet. I've seen the LRC files in stepmania. It's like singstar's lyric box without the game elements :3

Perhaps peppy can come out with different options for the lyrics appearing in the main menu and/or gameplay. Something to do with the effects like most games would do. i.e. None, Small, Medium, Large, Enormous, EFFECTS GALORE. Well, maybe not the last option there :X
qlum
I remember a similar request being blown off on the fact that you could include it in storyboard.
However just inside storyboard the current storyboards is not as good as making it a separate function.

There are two reasons for this:

The first is that because of it being part of the storyboard it will be mandatory and I can tell you looking at Japanese or Chinese lyrics is a waste of time as I can't read them anyway, making them separate can make them optional.

The second is multi language support, a separate lyrics file can be made in both Japanese and English for example that way more people can enjoy lyrics or even people who don't know what the text of the song means can read a meaning without obstructing it for people who do know what the text means. Even if the mapper doesn't master multiple languages maybe an outsider is willing to add some more with permission.

This does not mean it can't be added in a storyboard editor but it should still have a separate status and maybe separate files from the rest of the storyboard.
Archangel Tirael
Support, but I think that need make a supporting of subtitle file format (SRT or AAS) because this format is more common and autor of subtitles may apply formating to text. (Font, color, size, location etc)
Topic Starter
jemhuntr
Edit: damn phone browser made me send an unfinished post when I pressed enter xD
VoidnOwO

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

So here's the catch:
?
Topic Starter
jemhuntr
So here's the catch:
- it's either to use a commonly known subtitle format and be able to support most features it has (which I'm sure would be too much work), or;
- make a new file format exclusive for osu!lyrics and at the same time, make an in-game editor for it.
I prefer the second since that would be more flexible than already-existing formats. And if it gets implemented, I'm pretty sure someone will try to make a converter from commonly known formats to the new format.
Topic Starter
jemhuntr
bump for lyrics support~
just thought about this, why not be able to add an ass (or any other subtitle format) to the beatmap folder and just use cccp or some other codec pack to show it on osu! ?
it just came to me since I was playing a visual novel and it required me to install cccp if I want to see the subtitles.
Anzo
The directvobsub and ffdshow is responsible for displaying subtitles in external programs. Would osu! be compatible for that? or maybe an internal .ASS support will do? (lyrics or karaoke only, not including those rendering shapes and the like)

I know ASS format is flexible but not as user friendly, but using tools like Aegisub it'll get easier.

SPOILER
[Script Info]
; Script generated by Aegisub 3.0.2
; http://www.aegisub.org/
Title: Default Aegisub file
ScriptType: v4.00+
WrapStyle: 0
ScaledBorderAndShadow: yes
Collisions: Normal
Scroll Position: 11
Active Line: 22
Video Zoom Percent: 0.5
PlayResX: 640
PlayResY: 360
Video File: Koi no Shirushi All Girls + Haqua ver - YouTube.MP4
Video Aspect Ratio: c1.77778
Video Position: 2331
Audio URI: Koi no Shirushi All Girls + Haqua ver - YouTube.MP4
Last Style Storage: Default
YCbCr Matrix: TV.601

[V4+ Styles]
Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, OutlineColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, Underline, StrikeOut, ScaleX, ScaleY, Spacing, Angle, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Encoding
Style: Japanese Lyrics,メイリオ,28,&H00FFFFFF,&H000000FF,&H198148D6,&H00000000,0,0,0,0,100,100,0,0,1,2,1,8,15,15,15,1
Style: English Lyrics,Segoe Print,28,&H00FFFFFF,&H000000FF,&H198148D6,&H00000000,0,0,0,0,100,100,0,0,1,2,1,8,15,15,5,1

[Events]
Format: Layer, Start, End, Style, Name, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Effect, Text
Dialogue: 0,0:00:18.01,0:00:23.85,Japanese Lyrics,,0,0,0,,コイノシルシ 君の瞳に 見つけたのあの日
Dialogue: 0,0:00:23.85,0:00:29.66,Japanese Lyrics,,0,0,0,,気づいた時 胸の磁石 回りだした
Dialogue: 0,0:00:29.66,0:00:35.48,Japanese Lyrics,,0,0,0,,探していた ときめきに やっと出逢えたの
Dialogue: 0,0:00:35.48,0:00:41.53,Japanese Lyrics,,0,0,0,,どこにいても 見つけ出すよ もう 2度と迷わない
Dialogue: 0,0:00:41.53,0:00:46.99,Japanese Lyrics,,0,0,0,,きっとふたりは 運命だよ 何億もの人がいて
Dialogue: 0,0:00:46.99,0:00:53.13,Japanese Lyrics,,0,0,0,,出逢うのは コンピュータでも無理
Dialogue: 0,0:00:53.13,0:00:58.78,Japanese Lyrics,,0,0,0,,平凡すぎる 毎日に ピリオドを打ったの
Dialogue: 0,0:00:58.78,0:01:05.58,Japanese Lyrics,,0,0,0,,ため息 卒業 できるのやっと
Dialogue: 0,0:01:06.06,0:01:11.84,Japanese Lyrics,,0,0,0,,青空が眩しい 君がいる風景は
Dialogue: 0,0:01:11.84,0:01:17.69,Japanese Lyrics,,0,0,0,,幸せのオーラ 溢れ出すの 止まらないよ
Dialogue: 0,0:01:17.69,0:01:23.28,Japanese Lyrics,,0,0,0,,駅前の噴水 虹を作っているよ
Dialogue: 0,0:01:23.28,0:01:32.18,Japanese Lyrics,,0,0,0,,君を待つ時間さえも かけがえない プレシャスな時
Dialogue: 0,0:00:18.01,0:00:23.85,English Lyrics,,0,0,0,,KOI NO SHIRUSHI kimi no me ni mitsuketa ano hi
Dialogue: 0,0:00:23.85,0:00:29.66,English Lyrics,,0,0,0,,kidzuita toki mune no jishaku mawari dashita
Dialogue: 0,0:00:29.66,0:00:35.48,English Lyrics,,0,0,0,,Sagashite ita tokimeki ni yatto deaetta no
Dialogue: 0,0:00:35.48,0:00:41.53,English Lyrics,,0,0,0,,doko ni itemo mitsukedasu yo mou nido to mayowanai
Dialogue: 0,0:00:41.53,0:00:46.99,English Lyrics,,0,0,0,,Kitto futari unmei da yo nan'oku mo no hito ga ite
Dialogue: 0,0:00:46.99,0:00:53.13,English Lyrics,,0,0,0,,deau no wa KOMPYUUTA de mo muri
Dialogue: 0,0:00:53.13,0:00:58.78,English Lyrics,,0,0,0,,Heibon sugiru mainichi ni PIRIODO wo utta no
Dialogue: 0,0:00:58.78,0:01:05.58,English Lyrics,,0,0,0,,tameiki sotsugyou dekiru no yatto
Dialogue: 0,0:01:06.06,0:01:11.84,English Lyrics,,0,0,0,,Aozora ga mabushii kimi ga iru fuukei wa
Dialogue: 0,0:01:11.84,0:01:17.69,English Lyrics,,0,0,0,,shiawase no OORA afuredasu no tomaranai yo
Dialogue: 0,0:01:17.69,0:01:23.28,English Lyrics,,0,0,0,,Eki mae no funsui niji wo tsukutte iru yo
Dialogue: 0,0:01:23.28,0:01:32.18,English Lyrics,,0,0,0,,kimi wo matsu jikan sae mo kakegaenai PURESHASUna toki
Dialogue: 0,0:01:32.18,0:01:34.18,Japanese Lyrics,,0,0,0,,
Dexus
This would be useful if it worked like the way nicovideo does now. You should be able to go into already released maps and put in Lyrics and translations and then it would show a notifier in the listing if it has been translated. Maybe it could go through some sort of submission process to be added in that way it wouldn't be redundant on maps that already have SB lyrics (and also for anti-troll safety) . This actually could be used on pretty much any map now that I think about it, you can just put them in different languages, although I'm not sure how much strain this would add on the servers and such.

If this were to be added make it separate from sb toggle and have it's own toggle in the spoiler visual settings ie called plainly Lyrics and then show what languages it's available in.

Edit: I'm not quite sure how it would work in file formats, maybe a new file format called OSL (osu! lyrics) and it would be tagged with the song's ID and then what language it's in (kinda how difficulties are in brackets but make them show for the language ie [English] [Japanese] [German]). File would show as something like this "Artist - Song title (Translator) [Language].OSL" internally it would include the song number that way it can find it's way correctly to the right folder.

I'm also not sure of how peppy would want to notify of any updated, newly added translations.

Double Edit: Getting the maps to actually load in the lyrics is another issue because different difficulties can have different songs, the maps themselves would have to have some sort of line in it to tell it to use the lyrics.

Triple Edit: (yeah new ideas keeps dawning on me) I just realized if it goes through a submission process and the lyrics get added the map files can then be tagged with indicators to load in the correct lyric files.
Eni
Bumping this.

Are there any plans at all for lyrics in osu?
Bara-
Good idea
It would be better if it was for storyboards though
show more