forum

A Look at HP Drain [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Ippikiryu
Some people don't really care about it and some people will call me a noob about this, but this is something I'd like to say, for the people that do care about it.

HP Drain: What does it add to the game? Does anyone enjoy having it?

Most people immediately rebut with "If you didn't have HP Drain, the game would be too easy." I think this is inaccurate; it's harder to pass maps with a lot of drain, but the song is no harder or easier to play. I should probably be playing 5 star/hard but I have more fun playing the insane ones so I generally get mostly C's and B's. A lot of maps I play aren't hard, but I still can't pass them because of small slip-ups or whatnot. On the other hand, there are maps that are said to be just as hard but the notes are actually a lot harder to read and follow.

Why does an easy map with high drain become a hard map?

Another argument might be that it would upset the rankings since it'd be so much easier to pass. If you think about it, though, it doesn't really make a difference. Does anyone really care about the rankings lower than like 2000? I doubt anyone even cares about them outside of the hundreds. People that couldn't pass before aren't going to jump into the top 10s. They might disrupt them a bit at the lower echelons of the players at that level, but the people that are S'ing DT HR HD or something won't get beaten by someone who barely gets through.

With all that said, this is my suggestion/request: Make it so that instead of drain, make it so that missing a note or hitting less than a 300 makes you lose a lot more life as compared to how it is now. I don't want to suggest to completely remove the spirit of having to hit the majority of notes. Missing, for example, 5 notes in a row should still kill you. But missing the last 4 in a stream leaving you with a sliver of health and then going onto a section with long sliders shouldn't be death. If you get back together and start playing perfectly again, you should be able to continue. Or if you're FCing, you shouldn't be dying from ridiculously high drain.

tl;dr remove drain, make hitting less than 300 more punishing to compensate

If you have another argument for drain, post it and I'll try to explain my viewpoint on that.
and inb4 noob deal with it
Elisha_old
Nah, you need it to have any challenge in the game. The No-Fail mod is here for that. (No offense intended)
Saten

Kiosk14 wrote:

Nah, you need it to have any challenge in the game. The No-Fail mod is here for that. (No offense intended)
Once you are able to do better, you can play without No-Fail

Ippikiryu wrote:

Why does an easy map with high drain become a hard map?
Since when did easy maps have high drain? Are you talking about the old maps?
deadbeat
all i'm going to say on this is

so no
Saten

Fixed
Stefan
This isn't serious, right..
bwross

Ippikiryu wrote:

Does anyone enjoy having it?
Yes. I love a good precision section.
MillhioreF
1. It's authentic.

2. It adds a fun challenge and sense of accomplishment, especially to less experienced players (who think "Yay, I passed the map!" rather than "Yay, I FC'd the map!")

3. It would totally break maps with No Fail and devalue tons of scores on maps where passing is a legitimate challenge (Utage wa Eien Ni, Freedom Dive, etc.)

Going to deny this since it has a 0.0001% chance of ever happening.
peppy
HP drain on hard maps keeps me playing in many cases. It adds challenge where no challenge was present previously. If it wasn't there, you would always finish a map unless you weren't happy with your score. For a lot of people, this would result in next-to-no challenge.
TheVileOne
I think the OP is not asking that the ability to fail be removed, but more remove the fact that the bar constantly drains without you doing anything. It seems the OP wants it to be changed so that missing a 300 will take more of your lifebar away as an alternative to having a constantly draining bar. This is not the same as No Fail.
Topic Starter
Ippikiryu
Essentially the above. I'm not asking for auto no-fail; I don't want it to be pass everything no problem. What I'm suggesting would leave things quite similar if done properly in that missing a few notes would still kill you, it just wouldn't give that frustrating moment of "Oh, I barely survived" "Oh no, a slider, I'm dead now."

An alternative suggestion that's similar that I've heard is dynamic hp drain in which it drains more when there are more objects on the screen and the inverse.

Saten wrote:

Since when did easy maps have high drain? Are you talking about the old maps?
I don't mean easy as in 2-3 stars, I mean songs that are relatively easy but are hard to pass because of the drain. Lately, I've been playing a lot of NF Freedom Dive just for the heck of it because I find the streams and stuff fun. I understand that I can't pass that. But for some songs that I can mostly FC except maybe (most recently) an offbeat stream that kills me when I get 50s on all of them which means I can't even pass it, I find it annoying.

peppy wrote:

It adds challenge where no challenge was present previously.
That's what I meant in the beginning that in terms of gameplay, it doesn't actually add challenge. Yes, it's harder to pass, but it's no harder to play.

MillhioreF wrote:

2. It adds a fun challenge and sense of accomplishment, especially to less experienced players (who think "Yay, I passed the map!" rather than "Yay, I FC'd the map!")
I don't know about other people, but for me at least, when I finally pass a song that kept killing me with a lot of drain, it would usually be after I could practically FC it which mentally obligated me to take the next step and actually FC it. Because of that, the first time passing would be more like "Wow, I missed 2 notes."

MillhioreF wrote:

3. It would totally break maps with No Fail and devalue tons of scores on maps where passing is a legitimate challenge (Utage wa Eien Ni, Freedom Dive, etc.)
I think for those maps, people would still need No Fail. For example, I think the most common reason for failing on Freedom Dive when shooting for a high score would be breaking a stream in that 30s stream section and that being an insta-death. No more drain wouldn't change that, they'd still die from missing 3-4 notes.

Several People wrote:

Use No Fail
I acknowledge I could, but for the songs that *should* be doable because the notes themselves are fairly easy, I kinda feel too stubborn to use it. Or like "This run could be an FC, I don't want to ruin it by putting on NF."
Saten
There's something wrong with your accuracy if you die with FC

There are very few maps that have tons of objects, then a calm part appears and you're not allowed to get bad accuracy or you'll die.
This may happen more often if you play with HardRock.
Topic Starter
Ippikiryu
I mean like FC most of it (so full HP) then something weird comes along, miss the next few notes and drop very low then get killed by the HP drain in the following calm part.
GoldenWolf
A map can be harder to play with HP Drain. I explain :

Take this map as exemple; with HR, the biggest challenge for me is to pass the map more than FC'ing it. Especially the beginning where I die if I have less than ~95% acc. It makes me happy when I just pass it, because I have to get a good acc or else it's over.

With your suggestion (If I understood correctly) I wouldn't die with a bad acc if I'm FC'ing it, it'd kill the challenge this map is giving me.
So it's harder to play, because having a good acc at OD10 is a pain.

HP Drain is a challenge like high AR, small circles, etc... It makes the game more rewarding imo. I'm sometimes just happy to pass a map because the drain was higher.
Tsukimi Luna
Life Drain keeps osu! Fun
No point playing HR for the kicks if there was no life drain
Drafura

TheVileOne wrote:

I think the OP is not asking that the ability to fail be removed, but more remove the fact that the bar constantly drains without you doing anything. It seems the OP wants it to be changed so that missing a 300 will take more of your lifebar away as an alternative to having a constantly draining bar. This is not the same as No Fail.
Missing a 300 already decrease the life gain in the end of the combo. If you take in account that there's a life drain permanently you could say that getting 100 or 50 decrease life bar.
TheVileOne

Yuu-Chii wrote:

Life Drain keeps osu! Fun
No point playing HR for the kicks if there was no life drain

Life drain in hardrock makes it hell. Often it's just miss a note, and you're never getting the lifebar back up. you'll have to play most of the song nearly dieing, because the drain refuses to go back up regardless of how perfect you get.
Tsukimi Luna

TheVileOne wrote:

Life drain in hardrock makes it hell. Often it's just miss a note, and you're never getting the lifebar back up. you'll have to play most of the song nearly dieing, because the drain refuses to go back up regardless of how perfect you get.
That is EXACTLY what i want
Preference.... Everyone has their own
There is a reason why the no fail mod exists
bwross

Ippikiryu wrote:

peppy wrote:

It adds challenge where no challenge was present previously.
That's what I meant in the beginning that in terms of gameplay, it doesn't actually add challenge. Yes, it's harder to pass, but it's no harder to play.
It does add challenge, in the same way that OD does. A high drain can create precision sections where even too many 100s can be very dangerous... because you need to be more accurate over complete combo groups to get the full geki bonus. This is pretty much analogous to high OD requiring more accurate timing to get a 300 on a single note... only over combo groups (each combo group becomes it's own little game where you really focus on getting entire groups prefect).

Now I will say that I'm not entirely happy with osu!'s drain implementation... unlike the original Ouendan games, slider drain deaths are a real possibility, the original games having the amount of HP given for a tick balanced to the drain for the highest drain songs. But it's too late to change that, and I wouldn't want to, because a good drain section is thrilling and challenging.

TheVileOne wrote:

And that isn't at least exciting? Even if you don't find that "fun", you can't deny that it at least makes things interesting and keeps you on your toes when that happens. Games without any excitement are boring. Nothing wrong with playing the game with half a bar because you can't rebuild,
LOTO-12
I kind of agree with OP. It gets SUPER annoying when you miss or hit a few notes a bit too late, then the HP drain kills you if the song gets slow. Like, if you miss a few notes then play the next few perfectly and fail anyway because the HP drain is faster than you could POSSIBLY hit the notes. I remember I was able to have the Auto mod go to almost 0 life because the HP drain was too fast and the song was too slow, so unless you played absolutely perfectly then you could never finish. And that's what the Perfect mod is for.
mcdoomfrag

LOTO-12 wrote:

I kind of agree with OP. It gets SUPER annoying when you miss or hit a few notes a bit too late, then the HP drain kills you if the song gets slow. Like, if you miss a few notes then play the next few perfectly and fail anyway because the HP drain is faster than you could POSSIBLY hit the notes. I remember I was able to have the Auto mod go to almost 0 life because the HP drain was too fast and the song was too slow, so unless you played absolutely perfectly then you could never finish. And that's what the Perfect mod is for.
please don't necro these dumb threads, especially about changing game mechanics. peppy won't change anything about game mechanics, especially not something that is so essential to the gameplay, like hp drain.

Edited: Didn't realise we were in Completed Requests section.
show more