forum

osu! Community Localisation Project

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
After having a successful time using google docs for localisation of osu!stream, I have decided to push osu! over there. pTransl was a great system, but I don't actually have the time to maintain one more system, and therefore this is the best way forward in my eyes.

The document is publicly editable. Feel free to make any changes you see fit for languages you are proficient at.
https://docs.google.com/a/ppy.sh/spread ... nVHc#gid=0

Ask any questions in this thread.
Shino
It seems to be more convinient than localisation v1. Good idea for using spreadsheet.
Shortened url = http://bit.ly/osulocal
Rei Hakurei
is it supports of Mod Selection description and each mods description ?
theowest
Swedish translation by Saten and me. :>
Starz0r
Got my friend to do some Italian Translations.
Kharl
I'll take care of Thai translations.
Topic Starter
peppy
Once the existing translations are repopulated, we will begin adding new ones.
Bass
I mostly took care of Polish translations and rewrote some to new page.
Card N'FoRcE
peppy, you realize that making this available for everyone to translate is crazy, right?
I can already see someone screwing up a lot of italian translations and i'm sure that if someone fixes them some other undoubtly-smart guy will come and screw them up again.

I hardly see the benefit of this whole thing.
Emaal

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

peppy, you realize that making this available for everyone to translate is crazy, right?
I can already see someone screwing up a lot of italian translations and i'm sure that if someone fixes them some other undoubtly-smart guy will come and screw them up again.

He has a point.
-kevincela-

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

Oh well,I hope this doesen't happen,really. In the meanwhile I'm trying to translate some strings,let's see what I can get...
XPJ38
Contributed :) I tried to make sentences as natural as possible, avoiding word for word translations.

I also made sure to shorten some sentences, since they could be cut by a possible lack of space ("Online Ranking" in song selection -> "Class. en ligne" instead of "Classement en ligne").

edit: I couldn't find entries for:
  1. "Always show key overlay" (Options/Input)
  2. "Enable joystick support" (Options/Input)
  3. "osu!mania layout" (Options/Input)
  4. "Symmetrical" and "Left to right" (Options/Input)
  5. "Automatically log private messages" (Options/Online)
  6. All entries in drop down lists and tabs in the song selection list (top of the screen), except for SongSelection_All
Is that normal?
Rokk
Contributed by doing about 50% of the Dutch translation. Good idea, localizing osu! like that. :)
Topic Starter
peppy

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

The wiki is also publicly editable. There's this nice thing called being able to roll-back changes which ensures this won't be a huge issue. The benefit is that anyone can collaborate.

XPJ38 wrote:

edit: I couldn't find entries for:
This is correct; newer items haven't been added yet.
Card N'FoRcE

peppy wrote:

There's this nice thing called being able to roll-back changes which ensures this won't be a huge issue.
I know that.
What i wonder is how you're going to know which is the correct change to roll-back to (if there's the need to), because i don't think you know all the languages the document is being translated into.

peppy wrote:

The benefit is that anyone can collaborate.
Which is bad because translations need consistency to be good.
Topic Starter
peppy
We can deal with such issues when they arise. First of all we need a base set of translations so they can be loaded into osu!, then we can work forward from there.
Card N'FoRcE
Fair enough, I guess.
Thanks for the replies.
TicClick
Done with Russian translation
-----
I'll help as much as I can with zh-CHT one :)

11/09 p.s. All done, some translation was taken for reference form the zh-CN one :3
Niva
Indonesian translation done~ (Niva/Hinsvar/lufi10/AeroRange/Rei_Fan49)

Really looking forward to see the translations integrated (:
mintong89

----- wrote:

I'll help as much as I can with zh-CHT one :)
Leeg
If this is not going to be moderated... I don't see it working properly... see what happened with plTrans :S

Maybe we could have moderators for each language who can prove any degree of proficiency in English. (university studies, certificates, I don't know...)
Topic Starter
peppy
Once I do the initial import, changes can be checked before they are committed to the game (when I import updates to osu!). For large-scale changes, I will make sure someone checks them before they go live.

Worst case scenario, I will limit access to the document.

As I said, let's deal with that if/when we need to.
Leeg
If I recall correctly, plTrans had some sort of comment system in which translations could be explained. I find this absolutely necessary for this kind of work.
Can this be done with google docs? Or do we have to use the forums?
Skynord
Done the localisation of Italian language, updated.
Topic Starter
peppy

Leeg wrote:

If I recall correctly, plTrans had some sort of comment system in which translations could be explained. I find this absolutely necessary for this kind of work.
Can this be done with google docs? Or do we have to use the forums?
You can add tooltips/comments to individual cells by right-clicking on them and choosing "Insert comment".
show more