forum

Display max combo in the beatmap information

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +257
show more
Topic Starter
theowest

YodaSnipe wrote:

Max Combo is the only important thing gameplay wise, and spinners maybe (for SS scores). That's just how I see it as someone who typically lands on the top40 consistently.
this guy knows what I'm talking about
bwross

YodaSnipe wrote:

Max Combo is the only important thing gameplay wise, and spinners maybe (for SS scores). That's just how I see it as someone who typically lands on the top40 consistently.
Well, I respect your playing ability... but since being good at the game doesn't require being able to analyze the stats at all (or even numeracy), that part is irrelevant... but it does have still weight as a statement from experience. But such perceptions come with a large caveat in stats... they're tainted and can't be trusted much, because there all all sorts of biases that can make a pattern perceived to be true, even when it's false.

With Max Combo, you're somewhat deluding yourself... like addition, it's largely destructive of the information that goes into it. If I tell you that I have some numbers, and I added them together and got 777, what can you tell be about the numbers? Not a lot... you can perhaps do better with outside information, like making some assumptions about where I got the numbers or what numbers I'm likely to use, but you can never be sure, and the range of possibilities is immense. Max Combo works like that... information goes in and gets lost. Information can be remolded out it by using assumptions combined with other stats... but the information it contains is worthless without that. If it seems to be the most important, it's probably because you've chosen to put it front and center in your mind of a much larger web of things. It's when I questioned why it should be there that I started to realize that there were better alternatives for doing the same job and replaced it. After all, I don't care about slider ticks, so why should I use the stat that counts them?

So Max Combo is a bit like those old cereal commercials, where the "Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs are part of this complete breakfast", where, if you removed the bowl of CFSB, you'd still have a complete breakfast (or three) on the table anyways. You just want the CFSBs because that's what you're used to eating for breakfast. Which is fine, people are used to Max Combo, and with enough assumptions and other factors make it work satisfactorily for them, so they should probably be entitled to it (much the same way that a gambler is entitled to the Gambler's Fallacy, if that's what floats their boat). There's no reason to force people into adjusting to other metrics when they're already happy. It's not like it's important to actual play, and errors in judgement here are painless.
YodaSnipe
Max combo can tell me exactly what I need to know. If I'm not in the mood for a high combo song, then I move on, etc. The number itself technically doesn't affect my gameplay, but it is more useful than the other displayed infos.
Topic Starter
theowest

YodaSnipe wrote:

Max combo can tell me exactly what I need to know. If I'm not in the mood for a high combo song, then I move on, etc. The number itself technically doesn't affect my gameplay, but it is more useful than the other displayed infos.
yup <3
bwross
Read my posts again. My point isn't that it can't be used, but that it's technically a crappy stat. People can use and even love crap,.. but it's still crap.
Topic Starter
theowest

bwross wrote:

Read my posts again. My point isn't that it can't be used, but that it's technically a crappy stat. People can use and even love crap,.. but it's still crap.
I don't like your opinion. Combo is not crap.
YodaSnipe

bwross wrote:

I would use it every time I play a map.
Topic Starter
theowest
I'd be the most used stat.
YodaSnipe
It'd be the best stat especially if combined with the pp difficulty ratings instead of the old star sht ratings.
bwross

theowest wrote:

bwross wrote:

I don't like your opinion. Combo is not crap.

It doesn't matter if you like it. It's still crap for statistical purposes... too much garbage in distorting it. Not worth using for any real purpose. If you think it really isn't crap, then show me how it can be used to derive anything of value with any reliability.
bwross

YodaSnipe wrote:

It'd be the best stat especially if combined with the pp difficulty ratings instead of the old star sht ratings.

If anything the new difficulty system would make Max Combo better, only in that the new difficulty system will be much better... because the only way Max Combo works well is when you have enough other stats to judge without Max Combo at all.

You're still deluding yourself into thinking it's the best... Objects represents the same aspect, it just has a different scale. There's no need to waste space with Max Combo for the rare times it isn't there... just get up off your butt and learn to read the object information that's already there for those situations and you'll be as well off. I don't see why we should coddle lazy people, people can learn to judge the weather in Celsius pretty fast even if they used to use Fahrenheit. This is largely the same thing... especially for people who play a limited range in types of maps, where the slider profiles will be largely the same. That will cause the variability of Max Combo to come down and have it start to correlate with Objects well... for them the change in scale should be trivial. So there's no need to do this suggestion, so it can be put off to the bottom of the list. I don't see anyone offering any real reason.
YodaSnipe
Max Combo would be the best stat ever.
bwross

YodaSnipe wrote:

Max Combo would be the best stat ever.

And when will that be? It certainly isn't now.
YodaSnipe
Best stat ever.
those

YodaSnipe wrote:

Best stat ever.
Don't see you throwing your stars here
YodaSnipe
I want this, but I'd rather save them for something else. Still would be the best stat evar
MashiroSymphony
I want this too because i would look for always before playing a new map.
Topic Starter
theowest
Still better than Objects.
Saten

theowest wrote:

Still better than Objects.
Neat on really challenging maps & newly ranked maps
Topic Starter
theowest
and now that you can win by having the most combo in the end.
PhiLL A
That would be so useful. +1 without star.
jabberwockey
All my support!
Too bad I don't have stars ; o ;
Gigo
Ok, bumping this on the basis that it would be a really useful information to have displayed.
Wh1teh

those wrote:

Objects is a sum of Circles+Sliders+Spinners. I'm not sure I need a number telling me what it is when I can see the sum of the three in my head.
Replacement is a good suggestion. Addition is good too, but will take up more space.
You can't tell how much one slider gives combo, because of the sliderpoints and arrows.
Bara-
Bump
This is a great idea
VeilStar
t/325620

VeilStar wrote:

I like this idea. Currently I always check the Top50 to know what the maximum combo is, but if I were to play offline (for example) the only way to find out is to watch the map with Auto enabled. Support!
Can't shoot any stars at the moment, but support~
Ayachi Meme
this still needs to happen?!?!?1
_lord_coconut_
I want this implemented. It's super useful info that many people can use. If people disagree with it then just disregard it.. It's not like it's going to ruin the entire game :)