forum

Keep beatmap sets together when sorting

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +140
Topic Starter
theowest
So basically, beatmaps tend to split apart from each other when sorting by many of the sorting options.

I also think they should be sorted by difficulty inside the beatmap set, at it's sorted by default. When you're inside the beatmap set, it's easy to see which one you want to play. There's no need for mixed difficulties inside the beatmap set.
When sorting by date for example, you'll find that some diffs are made before others so the difficulties are mixed up inside the beatmap set. This is just confusing and I don't think people would care if that difficulty is one day older than the other.

Beatmap sets as a whole should be sorted, not difficulties for the following:
  1. BPM
  2. Length (maybe 1 minute time between the difficulties and then they split away from each other. Useful if the beatmap is hybrid)
  3. Date
I guess there has to be a point when the difficulties split. 10 seconds maybe?

Please come up with suggestions and criticism for this feature request.
Soaprman
As someone who uses a sort method that splits sets up like this, I support this.

Date should sort by the latest update within any of its difficulties. So if one difficulty gets updated, the whole set gets moved to the bottom of the map listing. Probably similar logic for the other sort methods.
leepdesu
Wew, someone who actually sorts things out by date.
Anzo

-LeeP- wrote:

I thought I'm the only one doing this, you know, if you want the newly downloaded/updated ones on the top of the list...

+Support
Mercurial
BPM!

^This
bwross
Giving this one some more stars, because it's been bothering me more lately. I recently discovered that a mapset for a song I like hard an Insane map, it just had never been sorted together with it because I was always looking at the set when date sorted (which is my standard sort)... I missed this fact for more than a year. I also ran into a set that got exploded into four different parts. This is just crazy. Mapsets should be kept together as much as possible.
Topic Starter
theowest

bwross wrote:

Giving this one some more stars, because it's been bothering me more lately. I recently discovered that a mapset for a song I like hard an Insane map, it just had never been sorted together with it because I was always looking at the set when date sorted (which is my standard sort)... I missed this fact for more than a year. I also ran into a set that got exploded into four different parts. This is just crazy. Mapsets should be kept together as much as possible.
<3
Soaprman
Bumping this to make it more visible and because I still want it. I'd give it stars if I had any to give.
Topic Starter
theowest

-LeeP- wrote:

That's almost the reason why I created this feature request. "Improve what it is shitty and what nobody's using. What will make people use this feature more?"
Soaprman
Are there really so few people who want this? I wish I had it every time I look at the beatmap listing.
Topic Starter
theowest
:'(
MillhioreF
I kinda agree with this request, especially with BPM and Date. Length, though, I dunno... http://osu.ppy.sh/b/315&m=0 for example would make grouping the diffs together kinda redundant.
Soaprman
I guess it depends on what you're looking for when you sort by length. I'd guess that people are usually looking for the longest rather than the shortest difficulty, but there are probably exceptions. Maybe splitting it into two searches, longest and shortest, would work. They would go by the longest or shortest difficulty within a mapset.
Topic Starter
theowest
Sure, there are plenty of difficulties with great differences in length, but you'd still want to keep it as a whole, right?

I guess there has to be a point when the difficulties split. 10 seconds maybe?
Soaprman
Hm, not sure I'd want to split them. Remember too that there are ranked mapsets where they didn't map the whole song for every difficulty. (This is lame, by the way, viewers at home. Don't do this.) And for maps like The Unforgiving I'd want them all grouped even though the length difference is kind of huge.
Saten
What about The Unforgiving?
Length & BPM differs in each difficulty.

I guess that's an exception.
Topic Starter
theowest

Soaprman wrote:

Hm, not sure I'd want to split them. Remember too that there are ranked mapsets where they didn't map the whole song for every difficulty. (This is lame, by the way, viewers at home. Don't do this.) And for maps like The Unforgiving I'd want them all grouped even though the length difference is kind of huge.
Yeah, you're right. They should stay together, no matter what. I don't think anyone would want the difficulties to separate. When you want to find "The Unforgiving", you know it because it's extremely long.
bwross
Things like The Unforgiving and the TERRA DDR Nonstop Megamix are particularly non-standard maps. They go beyond just having maps with different BPMs and lengths, because they're really kludges... the implementation would have ideally been done in a better way if one was available (either by a course system to join songs together or some sort of bookmark entry point system for accessing different songs in a medley). Exceptional cases like these can be ignored for things like this thread's suggestion. The focus should be on what it does to more standard maps with different lengths and BPMs, and whether a system can be made to work well for them... and if that breaks mapsets like these two that are already sort of broken anyways, that's still acceptable.

Still, I'd be happy with just Date changed... which doesn't have the same problems and should be easy to do well.
Soaprman
But catering to exceptional cases... is kind of what this request is about? At least I'd think most people have more grouped mapsets than split ones.

There is no condition under which I would ever prefer a mapset be split up instead of grouped. That's just me though, and it's not gonna sway anyone to just say that. :P

Let's look at Click Clock Wood as an example map. Each difficulty has a different BPM.
[Winter] BPM: 120
[Fall] BPM: 160
[Summer] BPM: 180
[Spring] BPM: 210

Would anybody really find it convenient to have these maps split apart? The only time this would be a negative is when someone uses High BPM sort and goes down to around 160 to practice maps with that BPM and Fall's not there because it got grouped with Spring. I guess that question is best left to people who'd use such a sort. Same case with length, of course.

All that said, yeah, date's what I use and care most about but it'd be nice to see something for the other sorts too.
Soaprman
It's been a month. Time to bump this again and throw a stupid amount of stars at it.
Topic Starter
theowest
holy shit lol. thank you so much! I wish I could throw some stars on this myself.
peppy
I think this is more of a bug fix than a feature request. Any chance of getting a few screenshots of each case this happens so I can narrow it down?
Soaprman
Here's a date sort example. Screenshots and the rest of this post within.

SPOILER
So there's a mapset with its difficulties all in harmony in the listing.

But these aren't the latest and greatest... two of them have updates available! So let's fix that. I update [Firestarter].

Then I exit the song select and come back...

And this difficulty has been shifted to the bottom! Let's go update another map. How about this one?

Again, a simple exit/enter is all it takes.

And if I update the other difficulty of Firestarter, it now looks like this. Unless I resort to deleting and redownloading entire mapsets every time or other similiar shenanigans, this gets to be a big clutter over time.

What I'd like is for an update to any difficulty within the mapset to cause the entire mapset to shift to the bottom of this sort the next time I open up.

As for BPM and Length sort, the same thing happens. You can observe either one with Click Clock Wood. Sorting by the highest BPM/Length in the mapset seems like the thing more people would care about to me. This would put The Unforgiving at the bottom of everyone's length sort unless they have some freakish map that's even longer. Sorting by low values has merit, too, though. You could use that to find the Insane difficulty in VIVID, for example. For BPM in particular, probably go with the lowest/highest average BPM so you don't get the extremes cluttered with maps where one difficulty uses red sections for slider speed changes.

I wish more people who use these sorts would have spoken up in the thread... maybe there aren't that many. A "what sort do you typically use" poll would be cool...
Topic Starter
theowest
These options are almost deemed useless if you can't switch between the map difficulties.
Exceptions do occur when the distances between difficulties are extreme, e.g. The Unforgiving. You should be able to teleport to the next difficulty somehow or just keep it all together.

possible solutions:
  1. keep beatmap sets together when sorting by these options
  2. being able to "teleport" between the difficulties in a split beatmap set.
  3. Right clicking on a difficulty and be presented with a new option: "keep beatmap sets together" and when that's already selected: "split difficulties". These options would only be available when difficulties are split: BPM, date and length.
Soaprman
I don't like the teleport thing as a replacement for this. It wouldn't give any visual indication that there are more difficulties than what's on my screen. I'd have to try teleporting to find any others.

By the third one, do you basically mean the first one but with a toggle? I don't know... how many people would see this change and want it the old way? The right-click menu is already pretty well filled up. Though I guess things could be shrunk/rearranged...
Topic Starter
theowest

Soaprman wrote:

I don't like the teleport thing as a replacement for this. It wouldn't give any visual indication that there are more difficulties than what's on my screen. I'd have to try teleporting to find any others.
Agreed.

Soaprman wrote:

By the third one, do you basically mean the first one but with a toggle?
Yes.

Soaprman wrote:

I don't know... how many people would see this change and want it the old way? The right-click menu is already pretty well filled up. Though I guess things could be shrunk/rearranged...
I thought it might be useful when difficulties in a beatmap differ a whole lot in either length or BPM (date shouldn't ever split beatmaps apart). Then again, I doubt anyone would prefer to view them separately.

You should be able to see much shorter difficulties separately rather than having them together with a really long one, that would put them in a place they don't belong. Create duplicates for these beatmaps? Sound complicated.
Soaprman
Yeah, but - and again, sticking with The Unforgiving as the example - all the non-Marathon diffs do have like 2-4 minutes of drain time but it's different in each song. Would having them all split apart really be useful? Seems kind of a strong pull in the direction of how things are now. :P

For what it's worth, the length in the song select is the total time, not the drain time. So each difficulty in The Unforgiving's displayed length is dependent on its position in the mp3.
Topic Starter
theowest
I think that's it about this feature request. peppy, feel free to valuate what you think about this.
Soaprman
Remember to water your feature requests and make sure they get the right amount of sunlight.
TheVileOne
It would be nice if there was a sorting preferences section somewhere that would allow us to choose different ways to sort. This could be one of those alternative options.
Topic Starter
theowest

Soaprman wrote:

Remember to water your feature requests and make sure they get the right amount of sunlight.
Darn, I forgot to do that.
In any case, thank you for watering this request for me!