forum

[added] osu!mania note fall speed

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +117
Topic Starter
Harappy
It would be nice if we can choose how fast notes fall from the top in osu!mania (0.5x, 1.0x, 1.5x, 2.0x, 3.0x etc.), which is implemented in many other similar games.
Please note that this is not Half-Time or Double-Time as the speed of the song does not change, only the speed of the falling notes.
Archangel Tirael
Now you can use Ctrl + +/- for changing speed, but it requires restarting beatmap and this very uncomfortable. I want use F3 and F4 for changing falling speed such as DMTR (DJMAX: Trilogy).
Topic Starter
Harappy
I'm thinking more of having a set speed for maps (the bpm?), with mods to change the falling speed, instead of having each player playing with their own speed. This will work for all players during multiplayer as well.
Not sure how score multiplier for this would work since really slow speeds can sometimes spell disaster just like crazy fast speeds.
orangespanky
Please let this happen! :)

I realize that scroll speed is a very important part of many rhythm games, And certain songs ( WHOS AFRAID OF THE BIG BLACK!? ) Are BASED on scroll speed. But never has a O2Jam DJMax style game have this option, and frankly, there is no Valid reason against it.

Any O2Jam players will remember the frustration of getting an entire room to agree on scroll speed.
Parog

Harappy wrote:

It would be nice if we can choose how fast notes fall from the top in osu!mania (0.5x, 1.0x, 1.5x, 2.0x, 3.0x etc.), which is implemented in many other similar games.
Please note that this is not Half-Time or Double-Time as the speed of the song does not change, only the speed of the falling notes.

This is already in your osu!USERNAME.ini file under "ManiaSpeed = X"

It's 7 by default.
Topic Starter
Harappy

Parog wrote:

This is already in your osu!USERNAME.ini file under "ManiaSpeed = X"

It's 7 by default.
Sorry to say, Parog, but it doesn't matter to me what number it's there when I'm playing (it can be -10 for all I care).

I'm going to restate my point for those who don't get what I'm trying to say. Like what haha5957 said, (post here http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/100804)

haha5957 wrote:

Currently we adjust our speed with ctrl +/-, but it's kinda annoying because we have to retry the map just to find the accurate scrolling speed for us. more importantly, in multiplayer, It even bothers more.I had to fail first 2% of the map just to adjust my scrolling speed everytime (in certain BPM range it's fine but when we jump to like 96 => 296.. yeah.

It's different from AR; since we are already allowed to adjust the scrolling speed.
I think it would be better if we just had some kind of "absolute" scrolling speed, and lets us adjust x1.5 x2.0 or whatever it might be, rather then current system where scrolling speed depends on song's BPM.
It's great that we have a fine-tuning speed system now, but having to decide between speeds of 7, 8 or 9 isn't the easiest of things to do when you're trying to play the map. This will happen (and is happening now I believe) because the 'optimal' speed for each map is different. That's why I think we should still have a basic scroll-speed-multiplier kind of system just to simplify things if nothing else.
ryza
Speed is based off of BPM. You can look at the BPM before playing, and decide which speed to use. I don't think it's really that difficult.
DFLT
It's easier to remember "ok I like playing around 400bpm" and putting it on x2.25 when the song's bpm is about 180, instead of having to remember "oh yea, I need to use speed 9 around 180bpm". Being able to freely do the math at any point makes it so you dont have to remember what speed modifier numbers you like for certain bpms, so more along the lines of renaming the speed modifiers would be nice. Also adding bpm info during multiplayer would help a lot since it sucks when you lose because you can't always clearly determine what speed would work best for you until the song starts.

Edit: Also Cmods would be pretty sweet, c=constant. As in if you set it to c400 the notes will constantly fall at the rate of 400bpm at a x1 multiplier. Of course the point where this becomes unfair is when songs have multiple bpms, in which case you are pretty much cheating the difficulty, so it would have to be a mod that makes your score unranked.
Topic Starter
Harappy
Cmod sounds great for practicing maps
Archangel Tirael
Lol. Woc, in DMTR F3 DECREASES speed, F4- INCREASE. :D
I think that Woc must try DMTR, because imo he misunderstand us ideas and requests.
haha5957

DFLT wrote:

Edit: Also Cmods would be pretty sweet, c=constant. As in if you set it to c400 the notes will constantly fall at the rate of 400bpm at a x1 multiplier. Of course the point where this becomes unfair is when songs have multiple bpms, in which case you are pretty much cheating the difficulty, so it would have to be a mod that makes your score unranked.
Can I laugh? if the map has accelerating part, you already can just hotkey your Ctrl -/+ and adjust it for that part. how is having C400 differs from having 200 bpm with *2 speed? Accelerating part actually mattered in O2Jam because it was not possible to adjust scrolling speed during the game but not in this game.

If sudden decrease and Increase is what you mean by, it still shouldn't be a major problem we can just simply accelerate or slow it down according to starting bpm.

]

Silynn wrote:

Speed is based off of BPM. You can look at the BPM before playing, and decide which speed to use. I don't think it's really that difficult.
Ok. good if you don't have any hard time doing that. So then, Any reason why this shouldn't get implemented?
Tanomoshii Nekojou
I understand what Harappy says...

GREAT IDEA!!! haha... just like what o2jam/o2mania's feature..... :D :D :D :D :D
Archangel Tirael
Suddenly BPM changes 200 to 400??? Give me normally mapped map with this BPM change.
DJKero
Yeah, x0.25 changes would be much better than this Speed changing method...

Like: x0.25 - x0.5 - x0.75 - x1.0 - x1.25 - x1.5 - x1.75 - x2.0 - etc...
Archangel Tirael

DJKero wrote:

Support! Hmmm... x99? ;D
PROGUY

Archangel Tirael wrote:

Suddenly BPM changes 200 to 400??? Give me normally mapped map with this BPM change.
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/145099
21 to 280 BPM, but accurate enough to be freaky with super-frequent BPM changes.
Tanomoshii Nekojou

Archangel Tirael wrote:

DJKero wrote:

Support! Hmmm... x99? ;D
:o :o :o :o :o
DFLT

haha5957 wrote:

Can I laugh? if the map has accelerating part, you already can just hotkey your Ctrl -/+ and adjust it for that part. how is having C400 differs from having 200 bpm with *2 speed? Accelerating part actually mattered in O2Jam because it was not possible to adjust scrolling speed during the game but not in this game.
The convenience is that you can leave the setting on for all songs without having to take the time to calculate which speed setting is most comfortable to you each time. Most speed changes in songs don't give you a chance to stop and change the speed (a break in notes), even if you hotkey them to make it more convenient, it would still be likely to mess you up. I think this makes it worthy of it being unrankable, especially in circumstances where it could dramatically help you out on certain songs with lots of dramatic bpm changes.
Bobbias
Woc posted this stating that C speeds will not happen in another thread discussing scroll speed.

I responded asking why not at least allowing it as an unrankable mod, but I got no reply. This is my view on things:

It is well known that scroll speed based on current BPM makes maps harder than a constant speed of some sort.
In a competitive setting, the harder a game is to master, the wider the separation is between the top players and the players below them.
Ranked scores and PP indicates a clear competitive setting for osu.
Therefore, BPM based scroll speed helps osu become more competitive.

However, not everyone who plays osu wants to play in a competitive environment. The solution is to create an environment where both kinds of players can coexist. Since players who do not care about competitive play don't need ranking, and those who care about competitive play would not want someone using a mod which obviously makes things easier getting a better score than them, we remove the non-competitive players from ranking, based on their choices to play in a non-competitive fashion (e.g. C speeds). We already have mods in standard similar to this: relax and spunout.

The other side of this is that some C mod players might still want to have some level of competitiveness outside of the standard osu ranking, through either replays, screenshots, or videos. Since C speeds would already be unranked there would be no reason to penalize them further, which allows player's scores on C speeds to be directly compared to non-C speeds, as well as other C speed scores. Since everyone would agree that C speeds do make things easier, this has the effect of devaluing equivalent scores reached with C speeds in the first place, making any comparison between non-C speeds and C speeds imperfect and biased towards the non-C speed user in the first place.

I feel this would be the ideal solution since it allows both community groups to coexist, still favors osu's competitive community, but does not completely bar players who wish to play a slightly easier way from doing so whenever they want, or from having a self-contained competitive scene themselves. In short: not having ranking for C speeds makes them not only viable, but desirable in order to allow both sides to have what they want. Anyone asking for rank-ability of C mods is just simply asking too much, considering the developers outlook on C speeds to begin with.
seraphimxngel

Archangel Tirael wrote:

Now you can use Ctrl + +/- for changing speed, but it requires restarting beatmap and this very uncomfortable. I want use F3 and F4 for changing falling speed such as DMTR (DJMAX: Trilogy).
thank you...