forum

osu! standard: Sliders are too easy to get 300s

posted
Total Posts

Are osu! standard sliders too easy to get 300s?

Yes
36.56%
No
63.44%
Total votes: 279
Topic Starter
darkmiz
Compared to osu!-mania, osu!-standard sliders are too easy, you can get 300s even if you hit bad timing (get 50s on single notes) on the start and the release notes. This is a rhythm game, and more points should be given to more accurate people.
buny
I wouldn't say sliders in Talent Shredder are easy 300s
Also in mania you have a clear visual of when the slider ends, whereas in standard there's a lot maps that use sliders that would take a few retries to time
Stefan
I don't get your sight about this. lol
This would be the same if you say that you don't have 100% in Taiko, because you missed one Point at the yellow Sliders. (idk how they are exactlly called)
Nessuka

Stefan wrote:

This would be the same if you say that you don't have 100% in Taiko, because you missed one Point at the yellow Sliders. (idk how they are exactlly called)
They are drumrolls.

And no, the scoring system with sliders is fine, plus, modifying it at this point will break loads of replays and scores.
Kitsunemimi

Ijah wrote:

Stefan wrote:

They are drumrolls.

And no, the scoring system with sliders is fine, plus, modifying it at this point will break loads of replays and scores.
^ This, basically.

Like, imagine osu! sliders suddenly became osu!stream sliders. 90% of the world will hate your guts and want to kill you. It just wouldn't be right.

The reason why osu!mania sliders are different is for consistency with DJMax or IIDX or whatever the heck it's based off of.
winber1
osu! is osu!

end of story. The game was made like that.

But, just to expand on the topic, because of the way sliders are played, it offers a very interesting and fun way to use them in mapping. This sort of way of using sliders is a really unique thing to osu!
Ohrami
peppy agrees with you. It won't be changed.
MMzz
Wanting something to be harder is one game mode because it's harder in another game mode.

Logic.
Tom69_old
They are indeed free 300s. Even at OD10. But that's how the gamemode is. Totally fine in my opinion because it allows for awesome slider usage in maps.
JAKACHAN

buny wrote:

Also in mania you have a clear visual of when the slider ends, whereas in standard there's a lot maps that use sliders that would take a few retries to time

Sliders are easy but I don't have a problem with it.
buny

JAKANYAN wrote:

buny wrote:

Sliders are easy but I don't have a problem with it.
you got me
JAKACHAN
Once you really get used to them even things like Big Black start to feel like nothing. I had a few runs where I failed near the end (Not the slider parts) where I had a top 20-30 ranking and I haven't even played it that much.
Aqo
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/58520 free 300s on sliders

although it's true that getting 300s on sliders is twice easier than on circles, part of the reason for this is not just their more lenient OD but also that the mapping habits in osu map sliders in "half speed" compared to circles. if sliders are mapped at the same tempo ticks as circles they're hard >;,;<
it's also a trend in maps today to have an sv lower than ds, which makes sliders easier as well. if the sv in a map is higher than the ds on it you might find yourself getting a few 100s on slider ends at first
mm201
osu!stream has stricter judgement on sliders. Bringing it back to osu! would be unfair since it would make older plays easier than newer ones.
TheVileOne
There are too many beginner players to consider any part of osu too easy. I would be against changing the sliders, as I find slider filled maps very enjoyable. I appreciate the extra leeway they provide.

Besides less 300s equate to less fun to some people. I don't really find any enjoyment to playing Mania, because of the awkward feeling the game has and the increased demand on difficulty applied to such an awkward control scheme. It's like taiko only far worse.
ztrot
I still find them way to forgiving in terms of timing other than that I have no problem with the ring or amount of time it give you if you slip out a bit but the starting note the hit bulk of the slider head should be as strict as a hitcircle imo.
Ohrami

mm201 wrote:

osu!stream has stricter judgement on sliders. Bringing it back to osu! would be unfair since it would make older plays easier than newer ones.
And yet osz2 doesn't allow for deleting backgrounds ;)

#totallyrelevant
winber1

Kyou-kun wrote:

mm201 wrote:

#totallyrelevant
and yet people still think black bg helps more than 90% dim. Honestly, there isn't a difference. The only annoying thing is playing the song through once to be able to remove skin, lower dim more, etc.
D33d
What do backgrounds have to do with this? They're an integral part of the map's presentation and not everybody chooses to remove them--not to mention that one isn't really supposed to remove them. Making sliders more strict for everybody would mean that new plays would score lower than old ones across the board. That sounds like an unfair imposition to me.
WASSHOI

winber1 wrote:

and yet people still think black bg helps more than 90% dim. Honestly, there isn't a difference. The only annoying thing is playing the song through once to be able to remove skin, lower dim more, etc.
I like dim as it is, but I do have to admit some backgrounds are really too obnoxious even at 90% dim. They tend to be the bright ones with white backgrounds and such. Not as much of a difference as people like to shout about, but definitely a harder contrast for the eyes to read.

Of course, not all maps are like this. I usually don't have problems with 90% dim, but some maps I just get an itching to change the background.
buny

winber1 wrote:

Kyou-kun wrote:

#totallyrelevant
Take in mind that it is preference.
Ohrami
No matter how you spin it, not giving future players an option that past players had to get good scores is unfair.
thelewa

Kyou-kun wrote:

No matter how you spin it, not giving future players an option that past players had to get good scores is unfair.
QFT

I can't disagree with you much longer if you keep saying smart stuff

damn it
peppy
Slider 300s are too easy to get, yes. If I had the change to change them, they would be timing-dependent, as they are in osu!stream.
RBRat3
I wouldn't mind seeing it calculated on how accurately you follow the slider within its follow circle.

Get enough new implementations to constitute a legitimate mass score reset :P
pw384
what's the meaning of the title... i don't get that..
Andy Chen_old
Scarlet Rose, Talent Shredder, etc

Sliders are suffering.
Aqo

RBRat3 wrote:

I wouldn't mind seeing it calculated on how accurately you follow the slider within its follow circle.
More like, if each slidertick was interpreted like a circle (accuracy-window-wise), since that's how you actually need to play them.
Arnold0
Too many people like the game like this, and this may make the game harder and make a mass "bad new feature" rage quit (Making slider like that = getting 50/100 & combo break on each sliders = rage quit)
And in the DS games sliders are like that so why change ?

I think the game is already hard to play so I don't get the point of people who whant to make it harder. Or maybe add a new mode which make sliders like this for a little score multiplier like 1.06x so guys who like may use it, and guys who don't like don't use it and all people is happy.
LoGo

Arnold0 wrote:

Too many people like the game like this, and this may make the game harder and make a mass "bad new feature" rage quit (Making slider like that = getting 50/100 & combo break on each sliders = rage quit)
And in the DS games sliders are like that so why change ?

I think the game is already hard to play so I don't get the point of people who whant to make it harder. Or maybe add a new mode which make sliders like this for a little score multiplier like 1.06x so guys who like may use it, and guys who don't like don't use it and all people is happy.
Problem is not in the hardness but in already set scores, what you recommend to do with them? remove?...
Aqo
Make osu seasons (for ranking. like every single other game with online rankings has) >.>
and then you can apply new game-changing features for new seasons that would have new, reset, scoreboards of their own, while old season scoreboards stay available for viewing for legacy.
TheVileOne
Lets not get into osu! seasons again. It's not worth changing the game drastically to make slider's harder to hit. IMO there's no really important reason to even change how osu standard plays at all. The sliders weren't considered broken a year ago, why should we call them broken today. IMO slider's being more lenient was intended behaviour and many maps were created based on this behaviour and it's not worth the effort to create separate environments for older maps just so a change in intended behaviour can take place.

Give me one good reason why sliders are a problem currently.
mm201
"Seasons" are already implemented in the form of decaying PP.
awp

Aqo wrote:

Make osu seasons (for ranking. like every single other game with online rankings has) >.>
and then you can apply new game-changing features for new seasons that would have new, reset, scoreboards of their own, while old season scoreboards stay available for viewing for legacy.
wouldn't that make replays either expire or extremely complicated and bulky
Aqo

awp wrote:

wouldn't that make replays either expire or extremely complicated and bulky
just add a header/flag var for patch version inside the replay file, the same way many constantly-updating games today do for replays; for example Starcraft 2.
The game would retain code to open replays for every patch version the game had; upon opening a replay, it would check the header indicating which patch version the play was made on and use that code to re-play it. Replays made before the header was added would just remain headerless, and the game would interpret the lack of a header on those as the oldest game version.

It's as simple as if~else, or a switch list with gotos if you want. This would allow osu to progress into a more modern game over time instead of getting stuck with issues that remained from past design such as spinner drain or so on.
show more