forum

Dynamic backgrounds for the osu! main menu

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +3,395
Topic Starter
DaddyCoolVipper
It'd be nice to have a toggle in options for the main menu of osu! so that the background would change with the song playing.

e.g.

would mean that the background of the main menu would be changed to

edit: Here's a wonderful video made by Mira-san that demonstrates the idea very well.

Mira-san
+++++Support
Suimya
support it as well o.o/
PhiLL A
+1
deadbeat
would look kinda bad on wide screen though :(
Kuro
Hmmm... Interesting.... Support!! :D
crabovan
Emm... This feature already done (but for supporters only) or I don't understand main post?
theowest
I don't want ugly anime backgrounds around my osu. so no
most of them would be black (because I remove backgrounds) anyway.

crabovan wrote:

Emm... This feature already done (but for supporters only) or I don't understand main post?
you failed to understand.

deadbeat wrote:

yup
Meekway
as an extra point in the options i think i would like to have something like that. nice idea as it would be a fine altenative to the "fix" background that can be set as a supporter.
Topic Starter
DaddyCoolVipper

theowest wrote:

DADDYCOOLVIPPER wrote:

It'd be nice to have a toggle in options
Kluddio

theowest wrote:

Even tho they all might be black because most of the players now days removes the background (I do the same thing)
Still it would be an awesome update for everyone and adding the toggle button would make it so people could deside if they want it or not so.

Approved +1
[Sean]

theowest wrote:

And then osz2 comes in and forcibly replaces all removed backgrounds.

Honestly, there could even be a setting for this. I don't see the harm in it.
theowest
fun spoiler happened.

anything can happen.
Saten
Deleted BG/No BG = default blue main menu color or the menu-background.jpg in the skin folder

It would be nice. But as someone mentioned, it will look bad on widescreen.
Aurele
Omg, this would be awesome!
But like Saten say, maybe when there's no background, our own background could be used?

deadbeat wrote:

Yeah... pretty much this.
mintong89
support~~~
Don-Tan
what happens with the custom menu-background?
deadbeat
think of it like a layer. you would have the main osu background at the bottom. then you'd have your custom one over that. then this would be on top of your custom one. so it'd be over your custom one. so nothing really happens to it. you just wouldn't be able to see it while this feature is on. but you would be able to turn it off and see your custom one again
that make sense?
ManusHitsune

deadbeat wrote:

think of it like a layer. you would have the main osu background at the bottom. then you'd have your custom one over that. then this would be on top of your custom one. so it'd be over your custom one. so nothing really happens to it. you just wouldn't be able to see it while this feature is on. but you would be able to turn it off and see your custom one again
that make sense?
Sounds cool, also this should be for non-supporter too.

Support.
deadbeat
no. it would be support only if added sorry :(
karma_komodo
First peppy surprises us with this cool feature and you want to make him work more? I think you are asking for too much... And no, if i wanted to see the song's background, then i would go to song select. BUT if it could be toggled, then dont mind me and go on!
coolnewdeals

ArmandoR wrote:

First peppy surprises us with this cool feature and you want to make him work more? I think you are asking for too much... And no, if i wanted to see the song's background, then i would go to song select. BUT if it could be toggled, then dont mind me and go on!
This wouldn't be very much effort at all, since backgrounds are already in the beatmap's files. You'd just have to set it so that instead of looking for menu-background.jpg, it'd look for the background of the song currently playing. Easy peasy.
ampzz
That would be the last thing I would want to see, Nightshit backgrounds showing up on my osu! main screen.
coolnewdeals

ampzz wrote:

That would be the last thing I would want to see, Nightshit backgrounds showing up on my osu! main screen.
Thank God that it would be optional then, people should really read the original posts since so many people have said this in the thread
deadbeat
still gonna look shitty on any widescreen screen. which isn't really fair on people who play wide screen. why should people who play with a 3:4 screen be able to use this better than someone use uses say 9:16 or something. i know fully well it can be toggled. but its still unneeded. why would you even need your background changed all the time anyway?
Tanomoshii Nekojou
MY GAH.... I LOVE THIS.... SUPPORT THIS!!!!!!!
I want this feature for free in public.... X<
theowest
also, many backgrounds have text on them. mapped by, storyboard, etc.

not to mentioned the constant updating.. oh god
deadbeat
bumping. duplicate was made a few months back. here's a video made by Mira-san in his request
show more