forum

My spin suggestions. [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Cygnus
Due to the map: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/24611.

My suggestion is that players shouldn't automatically not die IF they get their Bonus spins. Bonus spins means they already have spinned the required number of times in order to get a 300 score in a spin, therefore this must guarantee the players that if they don't want to spin anymore, they can stop if they don't want to get another score.
Sakura
t/29196

Or an alternate method thread: t/98495
s ranker disc

Sakura wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/29196

there is no method its how fast your hands are thats how im gd at ctb i dont practice i iplay 1 playthrough every song and i still s an insane
Ayu

shaddisc wrote:

Sakura wrote:

there is no method its how fast your hands are thats how im gd at ctb i dont practice i iplay 1 playthrough every song and i still s an insane
Yes, S'ing an insane on CtB is a whole different than S'ing an insane on standard mode.
those

Ayu wrote:

Yes, S'ing an insane on CtB is a whole different than S'ing an insane on standard mode.
Very much so. Miss a droplet? Instant S. No more SS.
winber1

Sakura wrote:

He's requesting something different... this isn't for spunout. This is for ranked plays, like especially on Hard Rock, and when you play some map with high HP Drain and some long-ass spinner, players who can't spin as fast may just end up losing.

But there's really only one map that this is really apparent, as he has just given.

meh. i wouldn't really support, as spinning is also a skill, and those who suck, just have to suck at it, like me.
Sakura
Yes, i realized that later, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Makar
Honestly I think it should be a rule that spunout should be able to finish a spin and not fail if you have full HP.
That map is impossible to pass with spunout mod even if you FC up to that point :/ which doesn't make sense since its a difficulty decreasing mod. There is even somebody in the top 40 with FC but have to use nofail because of the spinners at the end. Being able to spin is a skill, but that much is just ridiculous.

Or just make it so that if SpunOut is on, HP will not drain at spinners (or at least drain half as much)

Or change SpunOut mod all together: Instead of it being a difficulty decreasing multiplier, make it 1.0 (or 0.95 even) but spin ~460 all the time yet you get no points from spinners at all (which can make a huge difference in score)
bwross
If we're going to protect people from death during spinners they've "passed", we probably also should protect people from dying on sliders where they haven't missed a tick[1]. Or people who die from drain when there's not enough objects around to hit to prevent it... its not their fault that the game wasn't giving them a chance. Basically, making death only come when the player makes a definite mistake and allowing the meter to sit at zero otherwise. But I think that would be a mistake. Yes, drain deaths suck, but they are a feature of the game (and should remain so)... and spinner ones are about the fairest ones there are, because you can at least fight through them (unlike hitting a long slider or a slow section with not enough meter... where perfect play will just mean you get to watch yourself die slower).

If the game starts getting plagued with long death spinners, then maybe something should be tweaked, but otherwise, I say leave it be. Maintaining (or even cranking up) hard spinners is a skill... spinners should be more than just things to pass.

[1] Slider drain deaths are a feature of osu, Ouendan had the tick rates and tick bonuses high enough that on the toughest drain song, if you could make it to the first tick, you'd survive to the end (if you didn't fall off). Spinner drain deaths were a definite feature in the original games.
Sakura
If there's a spinner that's killing the player even tho they've pretty much passed the map, and they have to spin at insane speeds to avoid dying then it's an issue within the map, not with the way spinners are handled nor the spunout mod, and SHOULD have been pointed out in the modding phase of said map.

There's no need for implementing a safeguard from spinning as you pass the spinner as any issue should be pointed out during the modding phase of the map, and if anything, the spinner is a continuous object, a.k.a you must keep spinning it to stay alive.

Going to mark this as invalid for now, unless anyone else can bring any other reasons to add this other than the mentioned ones, and that arent debunked by the previous arguments.
DaddyCoolVipper
Please don't mark this as invalid. I think this suggestion is fair enough, and support it.

It's not a map issue because what if they've missed notes to end up at the low HP? If they've passed the spinner, the HP drain should pause. I don't see why anyone would disagree with this, honestly.
Sakura
In that case ask the mapper to lower Hp Drain or OD, This reminds me of that feature request to split Spinner difficulty from OD.
DaddyCoolVipper

Sakura wrote:

In that case ask the mapper to lower Hp Drain or OD, This reminds me of that feature request to split Spinner difficulty from OD.
Well, the suggestion is saying that you shouldn't have to ask the mapper to change the map if the map is fine, it's more of a problem with the way spinners work than the way the map is.
bwross

Sakura wrote:

Maybe there should be a rule for what level of spin drain is rankable (based on a reasonable SPM)? Right now, things focus on just guaranteeing that they're reasonably passable... so it's probably not surprising if people are thinking that that's all spinners are (ie similar to taiko dendens), when they should be more.
Topic Starter
Cygnus
Why invalid ;_;
Makar

Sakura wrote:

If there's a spinner that's killing the player even tho they've pretty much passed the map, and they have to spin at insane speeds to avoid dying then it's an issue within the map, not with the way spinners are handled nor the spunout mod, and SHOULD have been pointed out in the modding phase of said map.
The thing is that most of the posts complain about the spinner, but it was never changed. It is rankable, so it was allowed. Even in those rankable cases, however, spunout should not cause your failure on a map, imo.