forum

Adopting a "Star Perceptual Map"

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +367
Topic Starter
RBRat3
I brought this up in another request and thought it deserved its own request as to not side track the other thats completely different.

This is an alternative idea to display difficulty with more information and accuracy versus using the star system or the maps difficulty title.

(Measurement groups and image are pure concept)

Star Map is infinitely expandable to accommodate more attributes such as but not limited to Hitcircle counts, Slider Counts, Jumps, Etc...
Example: 4, 8, 16 respectively and is not constrained to even leg numbers also I wouldn't exceed 8 legs for simplicity sake.

Is possible to stylize the maps shape to an extent.
deadbeat
biggest problem would be location imo, where would you put it. cause i'm pretty sure putting it over the scoreboard won't go well x.x
also would this chart change when hard rock is used?
Topic Starter
RBRat3

deadbeat wrote:

biggest problem would be location imo, where would you put it. cause i'm pretty sure putting it over the scoreboard won't go well x.x
You didn't pay attention to that image a bit, It was a button toggle at the top to show that page ( next to the public/local score button )... I would have erased the scoreboard out but im not gonna put that much effort into a mock up than I already have. Technically the black BG for that panel will be transparent to match the scoreboard page, it's solid to half-ass hide the scoreboard to get the concept across.

In a nutshell the whole thing is pretty flexible so yea its skies the limit for things like HR to be shown, its more about how much effort you wanna throw at it.
Rei Hakurei
hmmm if i could switch from difficulty settings to map statistics like DDR then i would support this :)
(also circle size is ranged from 0 to 10 , but the allowed ones is only from 3 till 7)
Archangel Tirael
Support. Looks pretty functional and beautiful, but honestly, it would be nicer if Star Perceptual Map would be made more similar to the standard skin osu!, Would skinable and would be the same size as the scoreboard.
Topic Starter
RBRat3

Archangel Tirael wrote:

Support. Looks pretty functional and beautiful, but honestly, it would be nicer if Star Perceptual Map would be made more similar to the standard skin osu!, Would skinable and would be the same size as the scoreboard.
The mock up is made purely to get the point across if I had it my way I would have made it plain black and white, Ideally the whole thing would be made to match while using the scoreboards BG and width... Its just over sized to cover it mostly.
deadbeat

RBRat3 wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

You didn't pay attention to that image a bit, It was a button toggle at the top to show that page ( next to the public/local score button )... I would have erased the scoreboard out but im not gonna put that much effort into a mock up than I already have. Technically the black BG for that panel will be transparent to match the scoreboard page, it's solid to half-ass hide the scoreboard to get the concept across.
ah yup, sorry. at second glance i see the toggle button. my bad. also if hard rock will play a factor in the star map, can i suggest having the cap at 11 instead of 10?
peppy
You sure love pink blue combinations, don't you :P. I see this is a feasible addition, and for a lot of lower players, would likely be more useful than the top players display.
Topic Starter
RBRat3

peppy wrote:

You sure love pink blue combinations, don't you :P. I see this is a feasible addition, and for a lot of lower players, would likely be more useful than the top players display.
Huh well it practically kinda is osu!'s primary colors ^_^
Ohh and just to note the map is actually the song selects Red & Blue... It just happens that glossy overlay I slapped on it made it slightly pink so thats my defense :P

Sakura
I like this idea, although like my post in the other thread: t/98070 i would prefer if it had more map statistics, this is a good start tho, so Support!
Topic Starter
RBRat3

Sakura wrote:

I like this idea, although like my post in the other thread: t/98070 i would prefer if it had more map statistics, this is a good start tho, so Support!
I included the possible expandability in the top post, There is one issue with adding said things (jumps?) is that you need a "max" in order to graph into a percentage which means someone is going to have to go figure out what ranked map has the the most of said things unless this is already recorded in peppy's secret laboratory :P
bwross

RBRat3 wrote:

I brought this up in another request and thought it deserved its own request as to not side track the other thats completely different.
I'm sure I've seen star maps come up even before that... but again that's probably lost deep in some other thread, so it's best that it has it's own now.

The main problem with star maps is that they're not actually very good at anything.

There are a number of problems with using them here:

1) Star maps work best when the arms are weighted to be the same. This makes the area represent something consistent (although the human ability to judge that isn't very good, which is part of the reason why star maps aren't very good). This is pretty much impossible to do here objectively. The shape itself does carry some meaning even if the area is inconsistent... however, I'm not so sure how useful those shapes would be with these particular values.

2) OD, AR, DR, and CS are discrete parameters. They have definite set values that people want to know. If they were calculated stats on a continuous scale where people might not care so much about the exact value, then star graphs would work better... because reading values from star graphs is a relative pain. Bar graphs/histograms (ie the stars on the web page listing) work better (most notably because they're aligned to the same direction, which is easier to compare that the star graph's, each one in a different direction). However, in this case, just giving the numbers works best for these four... there's no need to make people count stars in a histogram or ticks on a star, because the specific values of OD and AR for a map are of more interest than a visual representation of the difference between OD and AR for a map (this ties back to why the shapes produced won't be interesting... the correlations between these values is less interesting than the values alone).

3) The star graph is so large it needs to be hidden away and brought up on demand (or alternatively, for those that default to it, it blocks other information that needs to be brought up on demand... for one, it hides that precious "max combo" information that some people love). A more compact format that's small enough to be always up is far better. For example, numbers in icons (eg a number inside a solid circle for CS, a number in a double circle for AR, a number under a left pointing arrow for DR, and a number in a square for OD) are nice and small, give the exact values, and could be squeezed in just about anywhere (ie they can be arranged as a 2x2 square and should be able to squeeze in beside the current displayed Length/BPM/Object/rating info with room to spare)... even on the song tabs (allowing for comparison across maps at a glance).

That isn't to say that a star graph couldn't be pretty... it's just that I wouldn't use it this way. A better way would be to use in not for the set map parameters at all, but only for calculated continuous ones. By calculating a bunch of factors from a map, you could then organize the arms so that the shape carries meaning... ie putting factors that are tied largely to object density on one side and putting the factors related more to movement on the other will create blobs that lean one way or the other depending on how streamy or jumpy a map is.
Topic Starter
RBRat3
My only reason for wanting it is the ability to be expandable without occupying any more space than the UI can offer and the ability judge at a glance without consolidating numbers to figure out what that means for my play experience. Its not intended to just show those 4 values for the rest of osu's life and yes an elegant arrangement of value sets needs to be in order to visually show known difficulty shapes. As for making it severely smaller would negate the point of having rule markings essentially losing its precision visually but yes number values can be substituted for it.

More or less this is a start point and a idiot thing if experienced players need the absolute value its already readily available or the number can be included with it. If you know of better value sets to be used along with a calculation method then by all means suggest away ^_^
Winshley

Rei_Fan49 wrote:

(also circle size is ranged from 0 to 10 , but the allowed ones is only from 3 till 7)
You can still force-select Circle Size as 0~2 and 8~10 via Notepad though. :P

I think I mentioned about the "radar graph" about this too, but I forgot where I posted it. :?
Sakura
Reposting:

I think it would be better if we start basing it off DDR's star graph:

And then change some values to osu! meanings, like Air = Jumps, Voltage = spacing changes?, Chaos = speed changes?, things like that.
SkyDevil
Really great idea :3 SUPPORT.
Topic Starter
RBRat3

Sakura wrote:

Reposting:

And then change some values to osu! meanings, like Air = Jumps, Voltage = spacing changes?, Chaos = speed changes?, things like that.
Still need a max to percent off of and a method of calculating the value like how far and time between does a note have to be in order to be called a "jump"?. Should probably poll that :P

Also to note that title says adopt, This really isn't meant to replace a solid number (can be shown with it) nor replace any current requests that involve showing map statistics in any way... I found a spot for it and I don't see any reason not to bench test the thing while allowing for other requests to be fulfilled, It can always be removed if it doesn't live up to any usefulness just like anything else :)
Luna
The Jump/Speed/whatever ratings could be determined similarly to Tom's difficulty calculator, that does a damn good job at estimating all kinds of stuff.
Topic Starter
RBRat3

Luna wrote:

The Jump/Speed/whatever ratings could be determined similarly to Tom's difficulty calculator, that does a damn good job at estimating all kinds of stuff.
Got a link for that?.... Also no one likes estimations XD
Luna
t/92485

It's really damn accurate for how basic it is, with a couple of improvements this would work great I'm sure
Zare
Luna is right, combine this with Tom's Calculator and this would be a relly nice addition.
Topic Starter
RBRat3
Well that took it's sweet ass time for 23k maps :P This can be added with no issues with the map display when arranged right. I didn't look if a max was being factored or not but when turned into a percentage and graphed it should work great ^_^

If it isn't then all ranked maps need to be calculated to find a max value to at least be remotely accurate by having a boundary to go by otherwise its just a number to any newb.
peppy
Any calculations can be easily worked into osu! to calculate when a map is displayed, so that is no issue. I think if this was to be implemented, it'd be best to keep the number of stats to a bare minimum. Four looks really nice, five is alright, but any more just seems crowded and reduces the usefulness of the display.
Yuzeyun

Sakura wrote:

Reposting:

I'm pretty sure Chaos and Stream would fall under the same category, Chaos in DDR is the non 4th/8th notes ratio in the map (that's why a very streamy chart gets easily 1.00 Chaos) :P

Anyway I'm for this idea, but actually it should be adjusted to every mode (In Taiko the graph would be very different, I'm pretty sure that we would need as equivalent : Stream, Chaos, Freeze (Spinners and Sliders or Dendens and Drumrolls will be under this). Voltage I still don't know wtf it means, though it's been 7 years I have been playing it, wtf.
Topic Starter
RBRat3

peppy wrote:

Any calculations can be easily worked into osu! to calculate when a map is displayed, so that is no issue. I think if this was to be implemented, it'd be best to keep the number of stats to a bare minimum. Four looks really nice, five is alright, but any more just seems crowded and reduces the usefulness of the display.
Well I came up with a min of 8 for simplicity, But the only way it could be useful is getting rid of the ruler and putting actual numbers at the rim like so :S

Somewhat similar to this

Yea I know Pink all up in this *^&$@!
peppy
I meant the different type of stats displayed (in the above case, 4) rather than the range of each stat. So yeah, this is fine.
Mithos
I wouldn't mind this, but we should add Speed/BPM to the graph as it is a huge part of map difficulty.
Topic Starter
RBRat3
You can add anything to it but the name of the game is getting an arrangement of value sets where it can form a shape you can understand. Putting things in a random order will just spit out a goofy shape that will leave you sitting there going wtf is this.

For the mock up its pretty straight forward, Bigger the diamond the harder it is.
deadbeat
personally, i don't think circle size would be as needed in the diamond as the other 3. maybe that could be replaced with bpm or something like that?
show more