forum

Open source osu clone

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Wojtek
Hello I am working on osu clone. It is still very early version, but I wanted you to know such project exist and how it is progressing. Also it will be open source so you can use it to try your own ideas and customize it beyond options i will provide.

Because it is early version, it provides only basic gameplay with many things missing. Also please note that "Wojtkosu" is not name of the game, it's just placeholder.

What is goal of this project?
Well I started it just because curiosity, but I think it may bring some value to osu community. I want to put some features in it that do not belong to osu (because it is not how the game meant to be played or they are just to crazy). So in future you can expect many practice features and some just for fun features.

example ideas i would like to implement
-option to display timeline view somewhere while playing (something similar to what what can be seen in osu editor)
-allow to skip breaks in middle of song
-simulating multiplayer versus your previous runs (so you can see in middle of song if you are doing better or worse than your previous runs)
-option to quickly disable/enable beatmap skins and backgrounds
-option to show hitbursts in fixed location (in corner) instead of over the playfield
-show some addition stats after a game (also after failed game)
-option to easy override difficulty parameters to whatever you want
-ability to play with custom speed (for example x1.1 or x1.2)
-arrange mode with totally different scoring system and hp behavior

known issues
-extremely slow drawing of sliders, and they are ugly
-spinner meter texture moves a little as you fill it
-approach circle and follow circle size is incorrect
-spinners are not very accurate

how to use
first you have to install Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 Refresh:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=27598

get template skin from here:
t/51694
and unpack its content into "Skins\test" folder (you may need rename it to .zip first).

if you want to use your own skin put template skin there first and copy your skin files
into same directory (so you will overwrite existing files).
This is to ensure are required files are present.

you may put your beatmaps in "Songs" directory, they need to be unpacked, no .osz is supported yet.

credits
maps included (with permission from their authors):
supercell - Perfect Day [by rEdo]
Zektbach - Turii ~Panta Rhei~ [by fartownik]

download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/53v38ln4k5xf3jc/Debug.zip

source
https://www.dropbox.com/s/owqxkkelkl1528i/Wojtkosu.zip
Roga-don
Well I think you should better have a talk with peppy and give him some help for coding if it works well between you two... This is not really nice to do that kind of things you know... People are really attached to osu!, it is more than just a game with features and mods... It's a whole community :?
Marcin
rzycze powodzenia.
Bass
NullWojtek for osu!dev.
peppy

Roga-don wrote:

Well I think you should better have a talk with peppy and give him some help for coding if it works well between you two... This is not really nice to do that kind of things you know... People are really attached to osu!, it is more than just a game with features and mods... It's a whole community :?
I already discussed this with NullWojtek and gave him the OK to post this thread. He isn't trying to de-attach you from osu!, but more-so experiment with his own implementation. I have no problem with this existing here as long as it does not become advertising for a clone.

In interest of full disclosure, here is the conversation we had:

SPOILER
Hello,

I have started to work on osu clone. This is what I have so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R-OHrXXBlk

When it's more ready I would like to post download for it on osu
forum, I would also like to post source code of it. Is any of this
problem for you? I know you had issues with some chinese company
making ripoff of osu, so that's why I ask. Of course my goals are not
to make osu ripoff, but rather to create useful tool for osu
community.

I have showed this video to few people on osu chat and I must say some
of them were extremely unfriendly. Some mentioned stealing graphics
and copyright issues, I don't see any copyright issues in making
clones and about graphics, those are of course for testing purpose as
placeholder (probably I will ask somebody to let me put thier skin
with my game or ask a friend to make something something totally new
for me). So in case you have nothing against such project I hope you
can somehow defend me if some people will attack me.

Also if you want to try it, here is download link for current build:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1a8u6iv3ejcfl6/Debug.zip

--
Regards,
Wojtek

----------------------------------

Hi,

* If you use my graphics assets please credit them appropriately and prominently. These are copyrighted by me and it is best to at very least ask permission before using such content.
* Personally I'd question motivation for doing something like this, so maybe clarify what you are trying to create. If it is just for proof-of-concept or learning, then this is understandable, but otherwise I feel your time could possibly be better spent working towards a common goal. I'm interested to hear what you want to achieve though :).

Until the above two are resolved, I'd refrain from posting in the forum. After we have figured this out, then I do not see a problem, as long as there is some kind of reason for doing so. Of course, if you are trying to make a full osu! knock-off and build a player-base, I would be against this on the grounds that I don't allow any advertising in the osu! forums/site/game.

Regards,
Dean

Currently I am not planning to use any osu assets in version of game
that will be released to public (however as I said I am using them for
testing things before i get proper graphics, etc, so that's why you
see them). If i will change my mind and will like to use anything from
you then, of course I will only do that only with proper permission
and credit, so don't worry about that.

As for my goals, I started this just because I was curious about how
game works and how it can be made. To be honest I was not sure how far
it will go. I expected I will get bored quickly, before doing anything
usable. But now I see something can be completed, so I started to
think about what goals for such project could be. Well, I would like
have some features that not belong to osu (because they are either too
crazy or just it's not how you want osu to be played). This include
mostly things that help you practice the map ,for example some my
ideas are:
-option to display timeline view somewhere while playing (somethings
similar to what what can be seen in osu editor or taiko mode)
-allow to skip breaks in middle of song
-simulating multiplayer versus your previous runs (so you can see in
middle of song if you are doing better or worse than your previous
runs)
-option to quickly disable/enable beatmap skins and backgrounds
-option to show hitbursts in fixed location (in corner) instead of
over the playfield
-show some addition stats after a game
-option to easy override difficulty parameters to whatver you want
-ability to play with custom speed (for example x1.1 or x1.2)
Well, i have many other ideas, but that's probably things i would like
to implement first. Again I don't know how far i will go before
getting bored or something else, so that's only things on top of my
head. But if I will keep going eventually it will become very
customizable and versatile practice tool.

Well I understand you don't welcome advertising, but I think of this
thing I am making as something that supplements osu not attempt to
replace it, so I feel it belong better inside osu community and not
outside it. Well this is why I contact you in first place.

Personally I don't see any of these ideas "supplementing" osu! as you put it, but that is likely a matter of personal opinion. I won't stop you from making a thread in the osu! forums. When you do this, please make it in the general development forum. Also, I'd highly recommending open-sourcing so others can learn and help you, if that is one of your goals.

Dean

Yes, like i mentioned in first email I would like it to be open source
so people can customize it beyond options I will provide and can
experiment with their own ideas. I was only afraid it could be issue
for you, because I intent to make gameplay itself very faithful to
original, so people will be able to use my source to get learn how
things work in osu or at least very good approximation of it. But of
course on other hand everything i can discover about osu behaviour,
others can discover too, but still it creates kind of shortcut.

This is fine by me. It's not really a secret and never was intended to be. I welcome progress in whatever direction it takes.

Dean

Also, the offer is always open to join the osu! dev team directly, but based on his planned features, this doesn't sound like an outcome which would be harmonious :P.
Roga-don
Oh okay, sorry, I misunderstood your intentions ! :o
Then good luck with your project ! Gonna look at it a bit
Mithos
I hope this evolves a bit from "features that are too gimmicky" to something more... creative. I suggest doing things that use osu as a base, but have different... scenarios. Kinda like what "sequence" did to DDR games.
XPJ38
This looks very promising. I wish you good luck :)
karma_komodo
does this use the same beatmap format that osu! ? what would happen when the format is changed???

by the way awesome codework there, i just saw the video and havent downloaded it yet, and the first thing that came into my mind was the iphone version. it looks almost the same.

the iphone version could be more complete with you!!! :D
nanashiRei
Interessting at least to the extend of _maybe_ being able to mod this version. Still, for now, osu! wins my heart. (First game that i played for more then 1 year in a row! peppy what have you done to me?)
bagnz0r
I took a look at your code, it's totally comment-less, and all classes are contained within 1 namespace.
Mhm... Bad.

EDIT:
You've put some work into this indeed, but I'm forced to give you 2 stars out of 5.
Bobbias
I suggest using github or some other versioning system if you plan on continuing development while allowing other people to add to it as well.

I would be looking at the code, but for some reason VS2010 refuses to open the .csproj file.
Topic Starter
Wojtek
I will put it to github when i am ready to accept contribution. About source code quality, it will improve. project should open fine in vs2010, because this is what i am using. remember to install xna game studio.
Bobbias
Ahh. I might be willing to contribute some code. I've never really worked on any sort of collaborative project, and most of what I've done has been pretty small scale, but I have a pretty good handle on the language. I could contribute a lot of comments :P

EDIT: Installed XNA Game Studio, everything loaded fine. After quickly checking through things there's not too much that needs a whole lot of commenting... most of the current code is pretty self explanatory. I won't make any modifications for now, but when you get it up on github I'll be willing to contribute what I can. I've never worked with XNA code before, or bass for that matter, but it looks pretty easy to pick up. I'm actually a bit surprised at how little code is necessary for what you have working so far.
XenoWarrior
I came across this, it seems like a pretty good project so far :)
Anyway, Good luck with the project! I'll be checking back here more often. Its nice to see awesome projects being made :3
^^Ohh, and thank you for the source! It helps out in one of my projects for the note timing :D
-Xeno
Alpha Kitten
the mouse is kinda off lagging :O
is this my fault or yours? ;D

Looks good though :!
Topic Starter
Wojtek

XenoWarrior wrote:

I came across this, it seems like a pretty good project so far :)
Anyway, Good luck with the project! I'll be checking back here more often. Its nice to see awesome projects being made :3
^^Ohh, and thank you for the source! It helps out in one of my projects for the note timing :D
-Xeno
yes, i think timing are 100% accurate to osu, but I have not yet figured good way to get know osu spinner requirements, i.e. how many times you need to spin it for diffrent judgement values. So i just use approximation for now for spinner, it's not big deal for now because spinner has also other inaccuracies for now (it does not behave exactly like osu spinner, e.g. if you try to spin it very close to center point, it won't work as good as in osu).

Alpha Kitten wrote:

the mouse is kinda off lagging :O
is this my fault or yours? ;D

Looks good though :!
can you explain this better? it is possible there is some issue. also keep mind that performance is bad in the moment (i.e slider drawing).

anyway, sorry for lack of updates, but i figured out i need to finish things a lot more before showing to the world. I am also quite busy at moment.
meanfar
I would also like to join project. Don't have much free time, but want to experiment with XNA and osu! implementation. :) Feel free to message me when you have some VCS.
RaptorAnon
Hey can I compile this on linux yet? I am an advanced linux user and I have been hoping we could port OSU or something to linux. If there is a way please let me know I have a lot of free time on my hands and am willing to help out.
Reha
how i can download and install this?
Faishal Akbar
very nice, i'm not feeling any lag while testing (except for mouse stuck for few ms) . anyway, good project :)
Howl
do you guys even realize this thread wasn't bumped for one year, and we could even consider those 3 because the post one year ago was just a single one?
Faishal Akbar

Howl wrote:

do you guys even realize this thread wasn't bumped for one year, and we could even consider those 3 because the post one year ago was just a single one?
didn't even noticed about that
guitartsword

RaptorAnon wrote:

Hey can I compile this on linux yet? I am an advanced linux user and I have been hoping we could port OSU or something to linux. If there is a way please let me know I have a lot of free time on my hands and am willing to help out.
Hey, there are a lot of people who want a port to osu, maybe someone wants to start an "osu clone" for linux, I really use a lot linux and switching to windows is tedious, cause windows sucks starts up really slow, but the gameplay is still good :)

I haven't played osu on a mac without the accelaration or with the raw input.

I installed osu with wine on linux, the gameplay is not affected too much, but the mouse movement is different from windows and wine has some issues. Most of the issues I found when trying to install osu on linux with wine were:
  1. Difficult to install, I used play on linux, now is more complicated than just clicking next (?)
  2. Graphic issues, the mini player at the start menu didn't have buttons :?
  3. Sound issues, with all programs not just osu
  4. The timing wasn't precise, maybe because of the sound issues, this can be solve, don't worry
  5. Full Screen Issues when swithching windows
  6. This two last issues made me not want to edit beatmaps on osu, didn't want to make a beatmap with bad timing, and mayabe crash when i try to switch windows and not save the beatmap
NoYzE
Nice nekro :D
There is t/221726
It's based on Java and runs fine on linux. It's just missing something like bancho and score submit things so it's more of a local offline thing.
I gave up my hopes for native osu on linux long ago so i'll have to use wine, dual boot or play much less osu what i recently did because it's annoying :(
However i can totally understand the dev side to not support linux for aprox 1% reach (that plays on windows or wine anyway) and possible rewrite of much code that is implemented in C# with a Microsoft Framework.
So yea, Microsoft did their homework to make sure devs would have a hard time escaping from windows once they did stuff with it :D