forum

[invalid] Add a Post/Comment to the User Page

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +6
Topic Starter
Stefan
Like the title explains.
People can give a comment on your user page (something like a pin wall).
Of course, the owner of the user page can disable comments due spamming and delete bad comments.

I think this would be a nice idea to implement it. I guess it isn't so hard to add it.
Sakura
but this isn't facebook :<
Topic Starter
Stefan
Probably some other forums got the feature to leave a comment on the profile, and they are "older" then facebook.
And anyway, I didn't think about to have the same poot like on facebook.
Soaprman
I was actually going to request this myself sooner or later. I'd actually have a real use for it - since my future maps will be hosted offsite instead of uploaded here since peppy isn't fond of uploading maps for the graveyard, it could be used as a discussion thread for the maps that wouldn't have their own threads.

It could also be useful for general what's uppery that doesn't belong on the forum otherwise.

The only downside I could see to this (and maybe the reason it hasn't been done already?) is the need for moderation.
Topic Starter
Stefan

Soaprman wrote:

since my future maps will be hosted offsite instead of uploaded here since peppy isn't fond of uploading maps for the graveyard, it could be used as a discussion thread for the maps that wouldn't have their own threads.
Yeah, I didn't think about this idea, but this would be a good way to discuss without making more and more post and threads.

Soaprman wrote:

The only downside I could see to this (and maybe the reason it hasn't been done already?) is the need for moderation.
MATs and BATs can edit/remove posts by other users.
So why not a function that the Owner of the Thread can remove bad posts? I think this could be a good alternative way.

I also see that there could be problems, but I'm sure they won't be that big.
dkun
Editing a thread's post with a post after it adds an "Edited by:" which cannot be overridden by normal users with normal authorization rights per-section. What you're asking for goes deeper than what it entails.

The need for moderation should be the biggest issue, as the user profile section is locked off from the public eye unless you view it manually through specific forum-ID.

Having a userpage is a right that every user doesn't have. This isn't a social network, a userpage is supposed to be what it entails, a page to describe said user. Why should you need to comment?
Soaprman
Unless peppy is doing things really oddly, the post edit history/date/user/whatever is stored separately from the post body.

The user page board is hidden from us regular users, but who's to say it can't be shown to moderators? They probably already see other boards on the forum index like staff boards and the abandoned wasteland. Moderation could be a thing if lots of user page threads end up being active at once. I'm actually legitimately curious about how much effort goes into moderation here and how much there is behind the scenes that we don't know about. That kind of stuff's interesting.

I certainly wouldn't want to see the site facebooked but this would be useful for certain types of user-centric discussion (see my previous post) that have no place on the forum right now and probably don't warrant the creation of a new board.

I'm not sure letting the user have full moderation rights on their thread would be the best idea, though letting them lock and unlock it freely could be helpful if they want people to shut up. :P
Ephemeral
userpage subforum is visible to administrators, and believe me, we are not keen on the prospect of sifting through over 200k userpages in order to moderate inappropriate comments.
Mercurial
PM is the best way to tell something to another person.

Also, when you finish of edit your userpage, this re-direct you to the Userpage's sub-forum, so everyone can see it.

deadbeat
I think if you go into there and the go to a userpage, you can comment anyway >_<

^ i have no idea who that is btw, just some random person
MillhioreF
the threads aren't locked, but the forum is locked... it acts weird, but it works, you still can't comment or post there xD (abandoned wasteland was the same before it got taken away from regular users)
deadbeat
oh hey you can't, i guess i should of tried to post something first >_<
Archangel Tirael
If this idea will be, my little
traffic instantly evaporate with
unprecedented speed, when
my browser will load the
comments to a profile, such as
WhiteWolf or Cookiezi.
Rilene
bump
Kzl
Hmm, comment using disqus ? Using forum comment system need more resource
Bara-
Can be fine
Rilene

_Kzl wrote:

Hmm, comment using disqus ? Using forum comment system need more resource
Yes.
Topic Starter
Stefan
Deciding to move this as invalid. As far as I remember this already has been denied for several times and doesn't seems to have a point in osu!, at all userpages are more to watch instead to comment. I also don't feel like leaving this here around. :P