forum

Using an arcade stick/fight stick for osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
WASSHOI

So I've got a modded Madcatz TE with some Senwa buttons. I got in an experimental mood this morning and decided to hook it up to my computer and Xpadder map some osu! keys onto it. It was a little awkward at first considering I'm not used to using my left hand for my fight stick buttons, but after a while I found it rather pleasing to tap on. I switched back to keyboard for now due to noise pollution, but I may decide to go back every now and then and see how I fair with it.

Has anyone else tried using a stick with successful results?
Luna
I've tried it, but only with moderate success. It's fun though
winber1
I would only play with this when I'm really bored and for the lulz. It's like me playing flashlight, it's funny to watch myself fail so miserably. At my level and above, I will never have any success with this lol, but maybe if I could only beat Normal difficulties and felt proud doing so, I could theoretically feel "successful"
Amefuri Koneko

winber1 wrote:

I would only play with this when I'm really bored and for the lulz. It's like me playing flashlight, it's funny to watch myself fail so miserably. At my level and above, I will never have any success with this lol, but maybe if I could only beat Normal difficulties and felt proud doing so, I could theoretically feel "successful"
He talks only about using it for taps, not for movement obviously :)
Arcade sticks actually have pretty well-made buttons cuz some fighting games require VERY accurate timing for advanced combos. like 1-2 frames window for tap (1 sec=60 frames) and pros are doing them with close to 100% success rate.
Luna
In terms of responsivity, Sanwa brand buttons are actually way superior to mech keyboard keys. The biggest problem IMO is that they are spaced quite far apart, which makes playing a bit awkward if you're already used to playing with a keyboard

/E: 1k posts, yay
Topic Starter
WASSHOI

Luna wrote:

In terms of responsivity, Sanwa brand buttons are actually way superior to mech keyboard keys. The biggest problem IMO is that they are spaced quite far apart, which makes playing a bit awkward if you're already used to playing with a keyboard

/E: 1k posts, yay
Yeah, it'd take getting used to especially caus they're made to be played with your dominant hand and you'd most likely be moving your cursor with your dominant. The sensitivity was a little too sensitive causing presses that were too fast, but I'd imagine with practice it has the potential to be faster than a keyboard.
Ohrami
What switches do these use? They'd be no better than a keyboard made with the same ones.
Topic Starter
WASSHOI
They use their own switches.Same with Seimitsu, but I've never heard of anybody using arcade button switches to make a keyboard. I'm pretty sure the idea has come up quite often in the fighting game community as well, but a keyboard made completely out of arcade button switches doesn't particularly sound too likely considering the size of them.

I'd imagine it'd probably be a pain to use it for actual typing as well. Works well for games but too sensitive for everyday use, I'd think.
Aqo
I have a Hori RAP v.3 lying around at home and was actually considering using it in osu for footplay due to the large buttons. (right hand w/ tablet or mouse, left hand free, tap with left and right toes)

Can only legstream like 150bpm right now though. DDR players might be better with this. But this has the advantage of letting you eat a sandwich with the left hand while you play, kinda like with mouse-only, except you don't get jump-accuracy problems due to the tapping since it's isolated from the mouse.
kriers

Aqo wrote:

I have a Hori RAP v.3 lying around at home and was actually considering using it in osu for footplay due to the large buttons. (right hand w/ tablet or mouse, left hand free, tap with left and right toes)

Can only legstream like 150bpm right now though. DDR players might be better with this. But this has the advantage of letting you eat a sandwich with the left hand while you play, kinda like with mouse-only, except you don't get jump-accuracy problems due to the tapping since it's isolated from the mouse.
I kinda prefer mouse only to this weird device
Tanzklaue

Aqo wrote:

lol, you do know that stamping with your feet will be more shaky than anything a mouse only user ever will experience?
Aqo

Tanzklaue wrote:

lol, you do know that stamping with your feet will be more shaky than anything a mouse only user ever will experience?
The arcade stick is on the floor while doing this, if it wasn't clear

playing games the right way
Tanzklaue

Aqo wrote:

Tanzklaue wrote:

The arcade stick is on the floor while doing this, if it wasn't clear

playing games the right way
that was clear, still, your body will shake big time if you try to stamp really fast.
G0r

Aqo wrote:

But this has the advantage of letting you eat a sandwich with the left hand while you play
Because while I play Osu I always think to myself... "If only I could eat a sandwich right now!" :P

Also, I will now always imagine Kriers eating a sandwich while he plays. XD
Teadbub
is there a way to use it as a mouse or just buttons?
xenal
Please avoid reviving 7 years old dead threads. And yes you probably can.