forum

[Taiko] Difficulty level of taiko specific maps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +16
Topic Starter
OnosakiHito
As we know the osu star difficulty for taiko maps dosen't fit well, especially when easier taiko diffs should be shown as or in creators world.
But in most cases they are moved to the Insane section, .

That's why I have wanted to request to be as mapper able to tick the diff. lvl of a taiko specific map in the song setup.
It would be also possible to make a new raiting system for Taiko, but I think this would take more work as giving mapper the possibility to tick the 'right' lvl.

In Taiko no Tatsujin the highes lvl is 10☆. This is the most common and used system in osu's taiko community. That's why the levels should correspond with the icons in a way like this:

1☆~2☆ (two lvls)
3☆~4☆ (two lvls)
5☆~7☆ (three lvls)
8☆~10☆ (three lvls)

But since this isn't the real Taiko no Tatsujin, people have also their own systems which are going often over 10☆. For this case we could use this sign for it:

11☆~XX☆

It would be nice to see this implemented because, it would shape the taiko-difficulty more organized.
- Currently case:
Afterwards case:
Afterwards case:
BrokenArrow
why not
Loctav
Well. I think, putting a real rating system for taiko (by evaluating the amount of 1/1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 and 1/6 (and possibly 1/8) hitnotes and drumrolls and the timing between object, spinner, object, length of such spinners together with the BPM and the song has) would be FAR better.

Putting manually could work, if BATs and MATs can evaluate the star rating for each taiko way better.

Supporting this for now.
Rei Hakurei
it's nice, support~ :3
compare number of circles and playtime basis, which is i'm normally using, from my first taiko GD
Norbi
Supporting this of course.
JhowM

QQ
Aqo
Why only taiko
Give this to standard too
I already opened a thread earlier asking to let mappers to choose how to sort the difficulties in a mapset instead of having it automatized, is this really so hard to implement, you just add a header in any file and let the game read it.. [done]
[Luanny]

JhowM wrote:

QQ
^lol

Total support
Sakura
Do you even need to name them Taiko now? they have a Taiko icon in-game.
Shiro

Sakura wrote:

Do you even need to name them Taiko now? they have a Taiko icon in-game.
ultimate facepalm

Also, support. It would be nice to have an idea of the difficulty of the taiko diff we're going into.
Topic Starter
OnosakiHito
@Sakura: I don't know what this has to do with the current topic.
mancuso_JM_
I Totally support this!! :3
MMzz

JhowM wrote:

QQ
You probably forgot to turn the difficulty settings down.
Or you just mapped everything to hard.
[Luanny]
Knowing JhowM's maps, I think it is really hard.

Loctav wrote:

Well. I think, putting a real rating system for taiko (by evaluating the amount of 1/1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 and 1/6 (and possibly 1/8) hitnotes and drumrolls and the timing between object, spinner, object, length of such spinners together with the BPM and the song has) would be FAR better.
Would be better if the mapper chooses the real "level" of the map, imo. Not sure if the editor can calculate it itself as in standard mode because taiko difficulty depends of many things other than the number of notes etc. A kddkkddkdk is FAR hard than kkkkkkk. (Maybe it can be calculated by the hitsounds in a near future).
Sorry if I misunderstood what you meant to say.
bwross
Better labelling of Taiko map levels would be nice... Oni covers a range from TnT Oni 1 to a level far beyond what TnT Inner Oni 10 maps would allow. I'm not sure this suggestion is the best way to go about it though... it seems to be mapping only Oni levels, when the TnT ranking is four overlapping tiers of different sizes, Easy probably should not be equated with Oni 1-2.
Topic Starter
OnosakiHito
Well, since Taiko-only sets are now rankable, it wouldn't be bad to implement this these days?
Many people are mapping allready but the diff's have still the wrong icon.
abrian
why not? and supporting!! >w<
lepidopodus
Idea itself is interesting, but I guess you are not so accustomed to TnT difficulty level yet though, Onosakihito.
bwross

OnosakiHito wrote:

Well, since Taiko-only sets are now rankable, it wouldn't be bad to implement this these days?
Many people are mapping allready but the diff's have still the wrong icon.
The thing is that the icon used isn't accurate in standard either. So it's not like it can be said that Taiko maps have the "wrong" icon, because using the icons to judge the difficulty tier is fairly consistent across the board for what it does (I believe it's probably tied to the difficulty score modifier levels, but since that's such a minor detail I've never been interested enough to check)... the Taiko icons are as "right" as the standard ones (ie they're expected to be wrong). The icons are a wider issue than Taiko, so they should be addressed as such to maintain consistency... fixing just Taiko would make things inconsistent.

But for the most part none of this matters, because even if you can mark maps as Easy/Normal/Hard by setting the icon, it doesn't really matter, because that information isn't displayed in the game, which is where you would most want it. Which is why part of why I'm not sure this is really the answer... improving the standards on how Taiko difficulty levels are named would be simpler, allow for more flexibility in description, not require any coding, and actually be displayed in the game.
Topic Starter
OnosakiHito

lepidopodus wrote:

Idea itself is interesting, but I guess you are not so accustomed to TnT difficulty level yet though, Onosakihito.
I know, it's way more complicated. But TnT never published their real raiting. An Oni can still have just 6*, I know.
But this is just here to be able to regulate the icons and having a more organizated diff. lvl. Obviously people can still say even if the map shows lvl 4*, ,,this is lvl 7*!".

If you have a better solution for the said lvl-icon, please inform us here about it.
OzzyOzrock
I really feel it to be silly to have ranks over 10*, as anything above it would basically mean, "yeah have fun trying to FC this spamfest".
Topic Starter
OnosakiHito

OzzyOzrock wrote:

I really feel it to be silly to have ranks over 10*, as anything above it would basically mean, "yeah have fun trying to FC this spamfest".
True in some cases. But this wasn't the reason why I have suggested this "above-10* lvl"-icon.

This looks actually nicer

as

The -icon could show if someone has made an Ura or Inner, as example.