forum

What should I do to be able play Insanes? :'(

posted
Total Posts
show more
Wishy
1 day or 2 at most, worst possible scenario = a week or two.

Try playing maps that involve a lot of cursor movement, it should be quite fast, like you gonna see huge changes in a few hours. Use No Fail if necessary.
WASSHOI

Wishy22 wrote:

Try playing maps that involve a lot of cursor movement, it should be quite fast, like you gonna see huge changes in a few hours. Use No Fail if necessary.

Well I can say I see a noticeable improvement in how my tablet handles jumps and I'm slowly getting my accuracy back. I'll try moving to hards again in about an hour or so.

Edit - Also, how2spin faster with tablet? On Mouse I worked around a technique to spin pretty fast, tablet is going half the speed right now.
Sonez_old
Learned tablet by day 2.

Try to spin really small circles near the middle of the spinner.
Sorun

WASSHOI wrote:

I was making good progress on my hards and feeling more like I was transitioning to insanes. Then I got a tablet today. I feel like I'm back to day 1 trying to get used to it, but I suppose that's to be expected. It's not like I'll be pro at using a tablet the day I take it out the box, I expected I'd take a while to adjust to it. But now I'm just practicing normals again to get used to the feel of a tablet and feelin like it's a step down.

Inspiration, anyone? How long did it take you to get used to the switch from mouse to tablet.
Well it only took me a few hours before I started getting back up to the level of my mouse it just felt natural, insanes are somewhat easier, but I couldn't seem to hover or spin good with full area so I experimented with portion after a few days on full and did about 80% of the full area. Everything felt much more easier, spinning was consistent, I rarely dragged the tip, and jumps felt a lot more easier. Though everything felt perfect at portion I decided to go back to full since every comment I read says it's best to learn full area in the long run, even friends who use portion recommended I play full. So here I am today adjusted back to full area which felt extremely slow at the beginning, but i'm now used to it except for spinning, it's so damn slow.

Anyone have tips for hovering? Or is it the same ole practice makes perfect for me?

Oh and I got this tablet a few days ago from a friend, I did order a tablet from amazon, but it got stolen or tracking misplaced it idk haha. Thanks DNK777
Wishy

WASSHOI wrote:

Wishy22 wrote:

Well I can say I see a noticeable improvement in how my tablet handles jumps and I'm slowly getting my accuracy back. I'll try moving to hards again in about an hour or so.

Edit - Also, how2spin faster with tablet? On Mouse I worked around a technique to spin pretty fast, tablet is going half the speed right now.
You'll develop a technique, eventually, and easily spin over 400.
thelewa
Spinning with a tablet uses different muscles and that's why it takes time to get used to it for most people
kriers

thelewa wrote:

Spinning with a tablet uses different muscles and that's why it takes time to get used to it for most people
not really. I can spin 450+ with tablet. I just don't use a tablet.

U mad?
darkmiz
The real way to increase cursor precision:
mouse player: set DPI lower than 800, 6/11 and disable mouse precision in windows, and 1.0 in game.
tablet player: use full area (pen mode).
That's all.
Oh, and don't forget to delete dim the backgrounds while playing HR or HD.
CXu
To hell with full area.
-Athena-

darkmiz wrote:

mouse player: set DPI lower than 800, 6/11 and disable mouse precision in windows, and 1.0 in game.
That's all.
The truth.

I use 900 though, found it OK for me.

Unless you have a large screen, then you might need higher DPI.
Frizz
You guys really should try 400dpi, it's really great \o/
thelewa

CXu wrote:

To hell with full area.
Full area isn't that great, been playing with it for like a year and my cursor accuracy sucks balls

you're either accurate from the start or you'll NEVER be accurate no matter how hard you'll try

kriers wrote:

thelewa wrote:

not really. I can spin 450+ with tablet. I just don't use a tablet.

U mad?
Not really a big surprise that I can't do something that others can
Valentiino
Full area is more fun to play imo, but still didn't receive a huge increase in cursor control by doing so. Altough, I'v only been using it for 1 month now (~4k plays)
laport
try full area + full screen if not already
Wishy
I wanted to try full screen but my screen is kind of too close for that, and it's quite big so it's a no go for me. :(
WASSHOI
Using full area seems a bit difficult for me, maybe since I'm already more accustomed to using a portion already. I dislike moving my wrist a little extra. Is it that much of a difference? I haven't taken off too much of the pen area, just reduced it slightly.
JAKACHAN

thelewa wrote:

Full area isn't that great

Not really a big surprise that I can't do something that others can

CXu wrote:

To hell with full area.
JAKANYAN says hi =3
Tsukimi Luna

darkmiz wrote:

Well full area sucks ass imo

But in the end its really just personal preference....
D33d

Frizz925 wrote:

You guys really should try 400dpi, it's really great \o/
I use 500DPI and it's stable enough, without restricting me too much. It lets me traverse 1,920 pixels with about four inches of movement. I only find myself running out of space when a map doesn't use enough of the screen and keeps pushing me in one direction without enough breaks. In my opinion, that's just a bad map.
silmarilen
i still dont know what this whole DPI stuff is and where i can find mine
G0r

silmarilen wrote:

i still dont know what this whole DPI stuff is and where i can find mine
If you have a gaming mouse, then the drivers that you can download for it will allow you to change the DPI settings, along with some other features.
Jordan

darkmiz wrote:

THAT'S THE TRUTH and set mouse polling rate to 1000 Hz too!
HakuNoKaemi
you REALLY should wait sometime.

For some people it's easier to get to Insanes, for some is Harder.

Everybody got his rates, and you can't get better from one moment to another.

Having a better Mouse/Tablet/Keyboard/PC/Settings can help, but the first one to accept your rates should be you.

I'm still not accepting my "rates" in many many things
silmarilen
mhh ok. apparently i play with 1750 dpi, so i dont see whats with all the "play with as low dpi as possible" stuff because i can play insanes just fine.
lolcubes
It's personal preference. Lower DPI is more rewarding because of a smaller margin for error when trying to hit something, but it's also harder to move as you have to move more (which usually goes away with training and hand strength). Some people prefer 400, some 800 (I prefer 800) and some 1600~2000. Everyone is different. :)
ztrot
I use 1600 and I still can't play insane well insane insanes
Aqo
It doesn't feel as much on CS4; even on CS5. But on something like CS5+HR... high dpi is hard man

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/48667 Another + HR -> 400dpi = easy, 1600dpi = you can do this!?
silmarilen

Aqo wrote:

It doesn't feel as much on CS4; even on CS5. But on something like CS5+HR... high dpi is hard man

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/48667 Another + HR -> 400dpi = easy, 1600dpi = you can do this!?
no i cant because fucking AR10
Topic Starter
TocoToucan

Aqo wrote:

Can you make a live video with 400 dpi? I can't even imagine how the hand should move with so low DPI.
whymeman
Usually, playing intense level maps and up requires you to "keep your cool" even more. Just some simple mistakes/habits can make it a living hell. Well, here's my thoughts on how one can improve by putting these into consideration....

1.) Tensing up too much during game play => WILL wear you out fast and gives your hands a very unpleasant feeling after a few plays. This can also slow down your reaction time and accuracy [from moving too stiffly].

2.) Panic or getting nervous during game play => This can screw you up badly with accuracy and focus if you crack under unnecessary pressure. Being too nervous can increase the rate of mistimed hits and cause you to aim all over the place since you're not able to properly focus and control the cursor. This can also make you too tense, decreasing your performance even more.

3.) Large amounts of focus on so little area => Putting too much focus on just 1/4 of the area of the playfield could make you "blind" or unaware of the next set of notes or jumps, making it feel more unexpected than being mentally prepared for it. Being taken by surprise can also make you feel more nervous.

4.) Playing in rage => If the map is kicking you in the rear, come back to it later and play other maps. Playing upset won't help and only makes you burn yourself out quicker.

5.) Put yourself in the mapper's shoes => Learning the mapper's base style used for creating beatmaps can help you focus better by knowing what you're up against. Also, learning more about the song itself can help you point out the beats used more accurately.
thelewa
What you just said is the best reply in this thread.

I vouch for everything you said, because it's 100% true

edit: what you said is so wise that I'm going to start following those instructions myself

/thread

TocoToucan wrote:

Aqo wrote:

Can you make a live video with 400 dpi? I can't even imagine how the hand should move with so low DPI.
lolcubes

whymeman wrote:

5.) Put yourself in the mapper's shoes => Learning the mapper's base style used for creating beatmaps can help you focus better by knowing what you're up against. Also, learning more about the song itself can help you point out the beats used more accurately.
But, but, I am the mapper on a map I just can't FC no matter what, and the map is fairly easy.
:(
Wishy
Same shit here, I made just one map and it is completely impossible for me to get a good run on it. :*(
Aqo

TocoToucan wrote:

Dunno if kriers uses 400 dpi atm, but you can check his youtube channel for good mouse plays. (lewa linked it for you)

But since you asked, here:

this is what 400dpi looks like. I only started playing mouse+kb+400dpi this week so I'm pretty very bad at it... don't take these bad plays as an example for what this playstyle can do. Movement just feels so accurate with this, it's way good; just need to get used to it. (swapped from mouse-only to mouse+kb due to practicing a ton of streaming lately... for the left hand. so yeah)
those
kriers 450, iirc
boat
What should I do to be able play Insanes? :'(]
play better
Topic Starter
TocoToucan

boat wrote:

play better
Your post is very useful, thanks a lot.
Wishy
boat's post is probably the best answer you've been given.
WASSHOI

boat wrote:

play better
Would it help if I download more RAM?
Topic Starter
TocoToucan
I played a few days and I had a few questions.
1) I can play ~150 bpm beatmaps, but I usually fail beatmaps with bpm = ~160-170 and higher(Their speed is uncomfortable for me.). What should I do? Should I play ~150 bpm beatmaps until I will be able to pass them without serious mistakes, or this method is wrong?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUKKV0kdruk (150 bpm)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PokX0UxepvM (179 bpm. I do not know whether it is important, but I can FC [Hard] of this beatmap.)

2) I don't know what to do with streams. I don't understand how fast should I move my cursor and how fast should I tap keys.(This applies to all beatmaps without reference to BMP). What should I do?

3) How do I know, if there is any progress or not? (I mean progress in general, this question isn't about streams)

== Maybe this is important: DPI = 1400 (I tried 400, 800, 1200, 1400, 1600. I think 1400 is the most comfortable for me.) ==
show more