forum

osu! Std players: What makes you held back from using FL mod?

posted
Total Posts

What makes you held back from using Flashlight mod?

Not good at memorizing
35.00%
Getting nervous at higher combo (where the visible area gets smaller)
31.92%
Waste of time
26.92%
Others... (please post)
6.15%
Total votes: 260
show more
Frizz
I tend to think that Flashlight mod never existed.
silmarilen
memorization
JappyBabes
Takes too much time.
-Athena-

[CSGA]Ar3sgice wrote:

people generally dislike FL players
Well in all seriousness I actually respect FL players a lot.
They have good memory and attention to detail, being careful not to make careless mistakes, they work hard for their FL FC's.
Especially people like azuraer who manage to stay at the top using this mod even though their play style is greatly disadvantageous. (hint: mouse only big big yeahXD)
bomber34
It is a waste of time
It is much easier to do DT with anything combined like HR/HD than anything with FL involved.
I actually like using FL on maps i really like.
Most people seem to hate FL, because it is the easiest mod to cheat with in any way.
Stefan
Pretty everything what -Athena- said.
To memorize hard Parts of a Diff is part of the Gameplay.

Before people comes with the argument "There's also people FCing it at first try":
I don't care.
silmarilen
fcing an insane with FL on first try is amazing
Fai-Chii
I Play FL mode sometime because I don't memorizing Note
and Hard to see note if it Hight combo :(
Liut
Getting nervous at higher combo (where the visible area gets smaller)
and it's not like it's a waste of time , it's only that most of the players will doubt about you after a 1# with flashlight :x
(well excpet easy and normal diffs)
CXu
I'm not.
Topic Starter
Winshley

bomber34 wrote:

It is much easier to do DT with anything combined like HR/HD than anything with FL involved.
Some people (like me) can't actually use DT on harder maps, which is why I used FL mod because I'm pretty good at memorizing anyway.

bomber34 wrote:

Most people seem to hate FL, because it is the easiest mod to cheat with in any way.
For this, I can't help but to agree with this though, which is kinda depressing.

I personally find certain maps fun to play with FL, such as this. I can't play that map with DT because of the streams (which I suck at :().
Michi

JappyBabes wrote:

Takes too much time.
This.

I only fc'd one Insane map with FL so far, and that took me thousands of tries. (Yes, thousands.)
Naikaze

-Athena- wrote:

Well in all seriousness I actually respect FL players a lot.
They have good memory and attention to detail, being careful not to make careless mistakes, they work hard for their FL FC's.
Especially people like azuraer who manage to stay at the top using this mod even though their play style is greatly disadvantageous. (hint: mouse only big big yeahXD)
This
Glass
because FL HD is way too time-consuming compared to DT HD, AND you get similar scores
M i l o t i c

Ephemeral wrote:

no real skill involved beyond rote memorisation and not even that on some map
ouranhshc
I don't play FL for FCs, i just play it for fun :D
Salvage
Because i hate people who cheat on it and it makes me hate the mod for it as well, i do respect people who i think doesn't cheat with it tho, like azuraer, but it makes it really disgusting when you know atleast 4 people in your country that cheats it D:

I used to like it and play it a lot before but that hack thing made me hate it quite a lot.
G0r
My biggest issue with FL is that I am one of those weird people who thinks that speed and accuracy amount to skill. Yes, reading a map is important too, but let's face it... the FL mod is a memorization game. You slowly memorize the map beat by beat. Since I personally just don't value that skill, I can't really get any enjoyment out of doing it. It feels like a waste of time to me. I'd rather be trying to play BPMs above my comfort zone than play FL.
Frizz

Glass wrote:

because FL HD is way too time-consuming compared to DT HD, AND you get similar scores
From my point of view, FLHD plays generally have more scores than most DTHD plays. I think that's because FL players tend to get higher accuracy compared to DT players.
those

Frizz925 wrote:

Glass wrote:

From my point of view, FLHD plays generally have more scores than most DTHD plays. I think that's because FL players tend to get higher accuracy compared to DT players.
He argues that the extra time spent to learn FL over DT isn't worth that small increase in score due to accuracy.
kriers

G0r wrote:

I am one of those weird people who thinks that speed and accuracy amount to skill
Aka mainstream osu! player of 2012.

Memorization is the main reason why I don't play FL. There are hackers in every mod, and I wish the admins the best of luck to catch these losers.
Mismagius
Pretty much memorization. I always use FL when I can, however I have a pretty bad memory so I can't FC 200+ combo insanes without needing ridiculous amounts of tries (in my profile there is a map that I have tried 940 times just to FL the 300 first notes).

Oh, and getting nervous at higher combos (which is why I haven't FL FC'd Solar since I always get very nervous after ~750x).
Kanye West
I'm above average at memorizing but I get nervous/the reduced sight area makes it harder to snap jumps.
XGeneral2000
Memorization. And it's not just any memorization, it's memorization on a level I do not comprehend. Basic patterns like symmetrical sliders, diamond jumps, or linear/simply curved notes I can get, but on complex songs with weird jumps and spacing, I don't understand how people do it. For 700+ notes. In <30 tries. I mean, I know there's a lot of potential for cheating, but I know a lot of people do it legit, and it blows my mind. Especially HD+FL, where you're just flying around the screen trusting that there's a note where your cursor lands. When I try FL, I usually remember generally how a pattern will go, but I don't remember exactly where the notes are, so I'm bound to miss one by a few millimeters eventually.

I'll stick to HD and DT. You scary legit FL people can go back to the moon.
Nessuka
I can get to 250 on any map easily, after that I shake violently :(
darkmiz
I believe Flashlight score multiplier should be changed to lower than doubletime. Lots of people use FL to beat Cookiezi's DT scores. And they get more PP with better accuracy.
Nessuka

darkmiz wrote:

I believe Flashlight score multiplier should be changed to lower than doubletime. Lots of people use FL to beat Cookiezi's DT scores. And they get more PP with better accuracy.
I disagree really, Flashlight is by far harder than doubletime on most beatmaps.
Plus, not everyone is as good as Cookiezi and could come close to passing any of the maps he does with DT, so changing the system based on skill that of a select person would be utter madness.
Sonez_old
Waste of time

Though if its a song I really really like, then I don't mind replaying it 100 times.
Da7shadow
:x
Topic Starter
Winshley

those wrote:

He argues that the extra time spent to learn FL over DT isn't worth that small increase in score due to accuracy.
True, but there are some players who prefers getting high scores on single beatmap rather than chasing for a whole bunch of Ranked scores (and that pretty much explains who I am). :P

kriers wrote:

There are hackers in every mod, and I wish the admins the best of luck to catch these losers.
Regarding this, I do notice that cheaters who tampered osu! game internally could get banned pretty soon as it can be detected (as claimed by peppy). I'm more concerned about some cheaters who uses hardware-based cheat method (e.g: input splitters for FL mod. I don't even know how this looked like, but some said so), because it's not detectable. Hence there's no proof that the said player is cheating.

Some FL cheaters do have made something obvious (e.g: consecutive FL records within short time). However, investigating such cheaters are time-consuming. Which is why I started to live on with this anyway. :|

XGeneral2000 wrote:

When I try FL, I usually remember generally how a pattern will go, but I don't remember exactly where the notes are, so I'm bound to miss one by a few millimeters pixels eventually.
Fixed. :P To be honest, this is the main reason I'm struggling on certain maps with high combos. But I have a strange habit of "getting things done", which means once I already memorized half-way, I will try to complete it anyway. :lol:
Satonaka
Because FL does not change into Nightcore.
YodaSnipe

Satonaka wrote:

Because FL does not change into Nightcore.
Wishy
Waste of time, you won't get better by memorizing maps. Good for players who want some high rank but don't actually have the skill to get it, so you just use FL+HD and magically you can go over White Wolf, on a single map, by playing it like 700 times while the guy played it like... 3.
Nekoroll
Worst memory ever = impossible to FL anything

I have trouble doing any mods. :( I'm highly reliant on approach circles and the music itself, not the notes. Hidden is the most I could possibly do. DT if the song is slow enough, rofl. I'm pretty much a pure no-mod player. ;____; I like it though.
Wishy
FL is overpowered though, being able to beat a top player while you just suck compared to him is ridiculous.
jesse1412
The issue with flashlight is people who are generally less skilled can steal rank 1's from other players who DT said maps. Flashlight can generally be used with hidden and hardrock whilst doubletime can only be used in conjunction with hidden.

FL and HT are op.
Easy mod is actually such a hard mod that they added the score lowering to make it even more difficult. This mod is for pros only.
Garven
I can't see what I'm doing. That's not fun to me. If the game's not fun, why play it?
JAKACHAN
3rd.. Unless I ABSOLUTELY like the song or want to rank #1 on it I won't waste my time.
Laharl

Garven wrote:

I can't see what I'm doing. That's not fun to me. If the game's not fun, why play it?
This.
kriers
Cool idea: let's nerf PP gain from FL like with HT /o/ ahaha umad FL players?
show more