forum

pp

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
cptnXn
is there any logic behind losing nearly 25pp after playing the sh** out of my hands the last 24 hours, just after #13, #5, #9 placements and various hidden plays (includin SS)? This seems really retarded to me
Ephemeral
lost a few highscores on maps you have previously played?
Topic Starter
cptnXn
nope
Ephemeral
a map you recently played was unranked, perhaps?
Mercurial
Or maybe the most maps he/she played has been ranked 1 year ago or more.
Topic Starter
cptnXn
yeah it was, but it gave me no pp before and i even finished on a higher place than before because its already ranked again, so it makes absolutely no sense to me
fartownik
You played newly ranked maps, a lot of people have made better scores than you in a short time period. You have gained some pp first and then lost part of it because of being beaten by certain players.

My guess.
Vmx
I was #520 in pp 2 hours ago now I am #567 lol
fartownik
Yeah, but this is not a thread to post/complain how you lost your dear pp. It's calculated like that - the more people achieve same/better result as you, your pp will be going down. That's normal and obvious because the system is comparing everyone. It's more complicated than you think it is.
Valentiino

iMercurial wrote:

B-but I have gained several pps from playing maps that were ranked over a year ago
BlazingFX

Valentiino wrote:

iMercurial wrote:

B-but I have gained several pps from playing maps that were ranked over a year ago
^ this. I gained some from over 2 years ago too
Valentiino
And then there are times when I have played a map that's not even a year old, gained like a #20 with DT 99.**% acc and gained no pp

For example: http://osu.ppy.sh/b/123446

I gained that #20 rank 18 hours ago, and didn't get any pp from it
peppy
The age of the map doesn't matter; the age of the SCORE is what matters. And this is all listed on the wiki page: http://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Performance_Points
Valentiino

peppy wrote:

The age of the map doesn't matter; the age of the SCORE is what matters. And this is all listed on the wiki page: http://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Performance_Points
Yeah, that got cleared out in the previous pp thread.

I just think the system skips several beatmaps to make the calculations more lightweight?
jesse1412

peppy wrote:

not sure if anyone has asked but is there any reason why scores older than 1 year old are ignored?
Valentiino

jesse1412 wrote:

peppy wrote:

not sure if anyone has asked but is there any reason why scores older than 1 year old are ignored?
Well, it makes sense, since the system is called Performance Points. If you've done something over a year ago, that's no longer about performing. Instead, that way the system encourages you to make such old scores better. Or if you just can't improve it no longer, play new maps instead
peppy
It is meant to keep scores fresh.
jesse1412
Sorry should have probably said COMPLETELY ignored. Surely an old rank 1 should still count for some points? Maybe just making points slowly deteriorate to allow higher ranks to still give a certain level of skill rather than completely ignoring them? This should be especially true for a more active user.
Chewin
Just saying I get some 1sts 1 week ago and a lot of top 6 and top 3 in old maps recently and I didn't earn pp.
Rather, I lost enough PP although I did good records. I have still to understand how this ranking system works çwç
About what happened infact I'm giving less importance to this system since I earn and lose PP without a logic. o.o
thelewa

Chewin wrote:

Just saying I get some 1sts 1 week ago and a lot of top 6 and top 3 in old maps recently and I didn't earn pp.
Rather, I lost enough PP although I did good records. I have still to understand how this ranking system works çwç
About what happened infact I'm giving less importance to this system since I earn and lose PP without a logic. o.o
Wasn't the reason for this just explained in the last page
darkmiz
What happens if Cookiezi stops playing for a year? How much pp will he have?
thelewa

darkmiz wrote:

What happens if Cookiezi stops playing for a year? How much pp will he have?
He probably won't have enough pp to even stay in the top 100

That's IF his scores stop giving him pp after a year.
-Athena-
I won't say I agree wholly with this aspect, I mean, say his chipscape HD FC? It'll stop giving pp after a year? wut the?

But the pp system as a whole is a good one, so I can take this.
XGeneral2000
The decaying PP is probably so people like Cookiezi who retire don't stay on top forever. Regardless of how skilled a player is, they should be actively competing in the current game to keep a high rank rather than relying on old scores to keep them afloat. If a player is good enough to be top 10, they should be able to maintain it.

Cookiezi will eventually fall off the top 100 (I think peppy said before that your pp could be lowered by up to half by being inactive for a year), ensuring that active newcomers get their shot at fame, but if he ever decides to come back, he should have no problem reclaiming his old rank.
Winshley

XGeneral2000 wrote:

The decaying PP is probably so people like Cookiezi who retire don't stay on top forever. Regardless of how skilled a player is, they should be actively competing in the current game to keep a high rank rather than relying on old scores to keep them afloat. If a player is good enough to be top 10, they should be able to maintain it.

Cookiezi will eventually fall off the top 100 (I think peppy said before that your pp could be lowered by up to half by being inactive for a year), ensuring that active newcomers get their shot at fame, but if he ever decides to come back, he should have no problem reclaiming his old rank.
To add, being inactive may (or may not, depends on individual) cause your play skill to deteriorate over time. :P
Timekiller
Lost about 70 pp overnight, lol. This system is fun :3

Also, peppy, just wondering: if scores older than a year are ignored, then not playing for a year will leave you with zero pp rather then halve them, no? And another thing: If I repeat my own record, is it currently counted as new or as old one?

Also, could we keep using this thread to ask you silly stuff about pp? :D I was already thinking about making something like this myself :3
eldnl
I lost like 10pp for nothing, I was doing some 1# and still getting down, I don't know how it works ...
My last 15 first places meant nothing to the pp.
Jordan

eldnl wrote:

I lost like 10pp for nothing, I was doing some 1# and still getting down, I don't know how it works ...
My last 15 first places meant nothing to the pp.
I noticed losing an enormous amount of pp when someone steals mt first, like on the map http://osu.ppy.sh/s/16161 D: lost 10 pp after losing first place lol
Gon
Consider the accuracy too, i think you'll lose much more more pp if the person that took your #1 won by a huge margin (let's say 2-3%) when compared to beating you by a few 100s.
eldnl

Gon wrote:

Consider the accuracy too, i think you'll lose much more more pp if the person that took your #1 won by a huge margin (let's say 2-3%) when compared to beating you by a few 100s.
In my case, I only did SS's so ... I want an answer peppy \:D/
Triskelion91
I don't know how.. but I gained 40 pp overnight.
silmarilen
sometimes i play a really hard (for me) map and get like 99% accuracy and i dont gain any pp, and another time i get 99% on a first try and i do get pp
Mukku
Yeah, the system that calculates the difficulty of them maps doesn't seem to be quite perfect.
G0r
It is a very oddly behaving system. That is all.
dNextGen

no pp,at all

probably because lol bad accuracy spam keyboard
Timekiller
Don't forget that "no pp" could actually be "lost the same amount of pp as acquired", and losses can be huge at times.
miss_master_old

Timekiller wrote:

Don't forget that "no pp" could actually be "lost the same amount of pp as acquired", and losses can be huge at times.
show more