forum

LunaticMara's Tuuba Gaming Challenge (Incoming Game: SMB)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mara

(Thanks Rena-chan for the banner)

What's this about?
Hey, and welcome to LunaticMara's Tuuba Gaming Challenge. In this thread, we don't care about how fast are you going or how many levels do you pass. In this thread, we care about points. That's right, it's time to collect some ol' fashion points. Now listen up.

I am going to choose a game for you guys, just to test if this thing works. After that you guys can suggest the next game we are going to play. Let's try to keep it retro. Because of reason X and Y, you will have to find the games and tools yourself. It shouldn't be too hard, tho.

Here's how we play it. Because photoshopping the scores is too easy, let's record our game and put it in YouTube. This makes everything more interesting and fun. Keep in mind that the quality is not the primary thing here, as long as it's not a huge clusterpoot. When uploading the video in YouTube, keep it public or unlisted. Titles do not matter. If you think you are going to play longer than 15 minutes, make sure you have verified your Google Account with a phone number.

Once you have played and sent the video, I will add you in the sexy scoreboard. We'll keep the same game for a limited time, and let's see who gets the bigger score. Remember, ONLY THE BIGGEST SCORE WINS!

And no, this doesn't belong in Video Games or Forum Games. I think.

Pinball (NES) - Winner: Wojjan
1st - - - - Wojjan - - - - 1005640 points
2nd - - - - James2250 - - - - 467520 points
3rd - - - - Kert - - - - 397250 points

4th - - - - Lolicore Flandre - - - - 236890 points
5th - - - - LunaticMara - - - - 171310 points
6th - - - - Mianki - - - - 157960 points
7th - - - - _Gezo_ - - - - 137440 points
8th - - - - Mukku - - - - 119620 points
9th - - - - Crimmi - - - - 113770 points
10th - - - - TheVapor - - - - 108910 points
11st - - - - Rena-chan - - - - 88890 points
12nd - - - - iMercurial - - - - 48680 points
13rd - - - - Hinsvar - - - - 43470 points
14th - - - - FisHie - - - - 17400 points
15th - - - - thelewa - - - - 6170 points

GENERAL CHALLENGE RULES
- You have to record your full game with a screencap software like Fraps and upload it in YouTube. Record from the title screen to the GAME OVER screen. Post your video in the thread or give it to Mara via PM.
- You can have as many tries as you want, as long as you don't exceed the timelimit. You can also try after sending the video, but you need to upload an another video if you want your new score to count.
- You are NOT allowed to use any savestates, frame adjusting, assisting tools or anything that would be counted as cheating.
- The player with the highest score when the time is up - is the winner!
Valentiino
I'm always in to get some top scores =3

Let's do this!
Mercurial
Well then, what is the game?
Valentiino

iMercurial wrote:

Who needs games when we have LunaticMara?

We can score him
Copter-kun
Birdy

Valentiino wrote:

Who needs games when we have LunaticMara?
This.
Frizz
Well this sure does sound interesting...
adam2046
How 2 b recording screen??

Seriously though, any free alternatives to fraps these days?
Topic Starter
Mara

iMercurial wrote:

I'll tell it quite soon.
Mercurial
LOADSAMONEY
Valentiino

adam2046 wrote:

How 2 b recording screen??

Seriously though, any free alternatives to fraps these days?
No not really, just warez your way to fraps. It's still the best alternative.

(Or ofcourse you can use MSI Afterburner or similar program that handles DX*/OGL games aswell as FRAPS (there aren't many. I recommend using MSI Afterburner)
Wojjan
let's all have good computers and do this shizzle LIVE
OVER A WEBSITE LIKE TINYCHAT?
WE COULD MAYBE EVEN HOST A SMB3 RACE
Topic Starter
Mara
what
Lybydose
I believe what Wojjan is trying to say is that we should all spend our money purchasing high-end computers which we can use to simultaneously emulate a game and stream it live, perhaps over a website such as tinychat.com. One of the many challenges we could have is a live race to see who can finish Super Mario Bros. 3 the quickest.
Shohei Ohtani
I thought this was going to be a contest about playing Tuubas.

I thought I could win </3
awp
a lot of retro game emulators (eg I think SNES9x does this) can actually record footage themselves, so no need for screencap software.
Topic Starter
Mara
Last time I tried to use that kind of feature in Super C, it randomized all the enemies and my record was broken.

If you tell other emulators for other retro platforms which has a working recording feature, we can use them instead of recording them via screencap software.
Sakura
Well as long as in the end it ends up uploaded on youtube i don't see what's the problem in which software the uploader used.

Also livestreaming + emulating doesnt need a powerful computer unless you want to stream things like NDS or PS2 (and for the latter might as well use a dazzle xD), but since this is retro gaming most emulators should work fine with recording locally or live.
Pokebis
Okay, so since nobody is recommending a game I'll recommend one.

In terms of rules I'd have to expect this to be trust based. Even if we record ourselves there's no way of knowing how many times one has played a game and if they're using assistance tools (such as savestates or frame adjustments), but it's not fun if we cheat. So no cheaters, plz.

I'll pick a game I doubt anyone has played and I myself have not played it. You're allowed to watch videos and read about the game, but you must record your first playthrough and post it as is from start to game over or finish. You get one shot. You are not allowed to play if you have played it before. You are also allowed to record commentary if you wish, but it has to be real-time.

SPOILER

Top Banana for the Amiga personal computer!

Top Banana is a game, as I understand, absolutely horrible. It is a platformer developed by the now-defunct London-based studio Hex and released in 1991 on the Acorn Archimedes computer. Again, we will be playing the Amiga port.
Gameplay consists of jumping up across platforms to reach the top of the level. There are enemies to avoid and from what I understand you only get one life. Use it well.

You can read what I've read about it here

If you need any recording software or standards that we should use please ask for them or post them. I recommend Mara making a little resource list and archive for us to use in the future. This could be fun!
awp
oh I thought Mara was going to pick the games. I'm all for playing fun games like Contra, Mega Man X, etc
Pokebis

awp wrote:

oh I thought Mara was going to pick the games. I'm all for playing fun games like Contra, Mega Man X, etc
Oh, I misread it.
He needs to do that.
Also, you're a pussy.
Topic Starter
Mara
I was thinking of more like having multiple tries as long as deadline is on, just to make the scoreboard alive all the time.

But I'll try to pick something interesting for you guys. You wanna something new or something classic?
Pokebis
I think blind plays are more fun, but it's up to you.
Mercurial
Back to Basics, Mara.
Vish024
Why don't we all just go fast. I'd like to play tribes with some of you Finns some time.
Topic Starter
Mara
I do not play T:A anymore due it has gotten P2W.
Topic Starter
Mara
Ladies and gentleman, it's time to play Pinball. I hope that's "BACK TO THE BASICS" enough.

I will give you two weeks to give your best shot. If you can't find this game for some reason, you can try PMin' me. You may be lucky.

Also if you have questions, go and ask.
UnderminE
DADDY, DADDY IS A PINBALL LIVING ON THE EDGE
FisHie_old
Do I have to post my video here ?
Mercurial
1 week is enough for me.
FisHie_old
Don't even try to beat my score, you scrubs, it took me a whole minute to get it!
Topic Starter
Mara
FisHie started this madness with the most interesting video intro ever made. He got 17400 points and he is now leading the challenge.
Mukku
Of course I did not record lol. I mean come on, why would I

show more