forum

Enhanced favorites & playlist [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Chaos Anime X
I'm sure I'm not the only one when I say I use Osu! to listen to music in the background while I'm not playing. I just open Osu! and leave it in the main menu and go about whatever I'm doing. I frequently use it this way when playing Runescape because the music in it sucks.

I would like to see some new features in Osu! that would allow to better customize which songs get played when in the main menu. Maybe even an Osu! music player!

First of all I wish you could chose which songs out of your collection will NOT be played. I, like many keep songs I've downloaded, even if they aren't exactly my favorite.
It would be nice to be able to make a playlist of songs to listen to as well

Small requests:
Under Options>maintenance, a mark all maps UN-played button
This one isn't exactly small, but it would be nice to be able to skin the different song progress bars

Thanks for reading =)
rust45
Support for all, I do the same thing with osu! and listen to songs. Guess what osu! is doing right now?
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Gemi
Making an osu music player would be even worse law wise. Most of the songs are illegal and if the purpose of the software is mainly to listen to them, then it's legally far worse than when the main content is the actual beatmap. Yes, there is a difference and it's huge.
peppy
I'm in agreement on the legality of shifting the focus of osu! to be a music player. With the introduction of osz2, we finally have a format that will make it not possible to gain access to the mp3 for downloaded songs. This way, if we were ever to face legal issues, we do have a way of controlling usage and distribution of the content. It also means were we to actually look at licensing songs, there would be no issues wrt direct music piracy.
Lesjuh
Just here to support/bump this, I have been thinking of this quite a long time too :P
WyndII

peppy wrote:

I'm in agreement on the legality of shifting the focus of osu! to be a music player. With the introduction of osz2, we finally have a format that will make it not possible to gain access to the mp3 for downloaded songs. This way, if we were ever to face legal issues, we do have a way of controlling usage and distribution of the content. It also means were we to actually look at licensing songs, there would be no issues wrt direct music piracy.
oooh, I just realized right now that osu! has lots of illegal songs? :o
Topic Starter
Chaos Anime X

WyndII wrote:

oooh, I just realized right now that osu! has lots of illegal songs? :o
When you consider how many people download songs illegally now-a-days, osu is nothing compared to them. They love specific music, which they download illegally knowing what they do. I'm not sure every Osu! user has ever even given it a thought...
PLUS (reference peppy's above post)
With peppy's future-safe plan, unless there was a big lawsuit, I see a bright future for Osu!, even if there are bumps down the road!

In response to peppy, maybe Osu can evolve to have it's own music format? .osz2 doesn't protect against songs in the songs folder in the osu installation as far as I know, could be wrong...
awp
I don't understand the fascination behind using osu! as a music player - strictly speaking, it's terribly inefficient (Uses more resources than necessary). Why not just download/use an actual music player, one that isn't also performing several other duties?
anonymous_old

chaosanime wrote:

In response to peppy, maybe Osu can evolve to have it's own music format? .osz2 doesn't protect against songs in the songs folder in the osu installation as far as I know, could be wrong...
Format doesn't matter. As long as the song data is there, and it was obtained illegally, it's illegal.

That's like saying, if you RAR an ISO, it's safe to pirate. =X
Topic Starter
Chaos Anime X

strager wrote:

chaosanime wrote:

Format doesn't matter. As long as the song data is there, and it was obtained illegally, it's illegal.

That's like saying, if you RAR an ISO, it's safe to pirate. =X
I was thinking if osu had to be legalized, maybe the songs in the songs folder would have to be secure. IDK really

I don't know much about the legality of everything but I know there are many sites that allow you to stream full songs legally, free, and without any sort of account. Youtube does it, I know that, and I think Rapsody too. One of my friends uses youtube to listen to music all the time. lol
Gemi

chaosanime wrote:

I was thinking if osu had to be legalized, maybe the songs in the songs folder would have to be secure. IDK really
To make osu legal you could only have songs that are either spread for free with an appropriate license or peppy had to license the songs for the game from the artists/labels/record companies. In the first case you don't need to secure the songs and in the second case it depends on the deal made with the artist/label/record company. Basically if you want to make osu legal you'll have to remove most of the maps. Licensing so many songs from different artists and companies will not be possible, since license fees can be anything from a few hundred to a few thousand (or tens or hundreds of thousands...) and contacting all artists and companies would take ages for even a good sized group of people.

chaosanime wrote:

I don't know much about the legality of everything but I know there are many sites that allow you to stream full songs legally, free, and without any sort of account. Youtube does it, I know that, and I think Rapsody too. One of my friends uses youtube to listen to music all the time. lol
Most music on YouTube is not legal. There are services like Spotify, where you can legally listen to music for free. Spotify has done deals with major records companies to have their music in the Spotify service and Spotify pays large sums of money to do this. They get their money in return from advertisment deals.

So, all in all it is not viable for osu to go legal, unless you limit the songs harshly. A hundred or even two hundred licensed songs would be viable with enough buyers/subscribers, and you could always have freely licensed songs in the game, but you'd have to eliminate a shitload of songs and great maps to achieve this.
peppy

chaosanime wrote:

It will stop users from gaining access to mp3s. osu! is a rhythm game, not a means of distributing music. I never intended this to be a use for it, and therefore want to make it a lot harder for users to be able to playback the songs outside of osu!. No, this does not make it more legal. If copyright owners ask me to remove content under the DMCA, I am obliged to and will instantly. I just don't want to make it look like I am promoting the distribution of music.

osu! uploaded content is as always the user's responsibility. I don't have the manpower to ensure all content uploaded by users is done after the user has received permission to do so. Therefore I am only place the same level of trust that is detailed in the Terms of Service.

Also, this topic is totally off-topic. I'm locking it to prevent further discussion. The original request will be considered. If it requires a bump, make a new topic and reference this one.