forum

Leap! More accurate then a mouse or graphics tablet?

posted
Total Posts
show more
thelewa
Leap + kb like a boss obviously.

My hand is going to start hurting from the new angle this thing would force me to play with though :(
jianzii
It's not because my intuos4 got here about 4 days ago
Frizz
Reminds me of Kinect, for some reason.
IppE

jianzii wrote:

May I ask you, why did you get a Intuos4?
Dasiel_old
Enjoy your input lag.
silmarilen
dosnt look very good for osu! probably worse than touch screen.
palinus
This does looks really fun though, I'm so going to buy this Leap wether it's for Osu! or not :V
Whenever I'll confirm it'll exist ofc.
sCam
oh look, somebody's playing slice the beat.

this kinda looks cool though, if I don't have money to buy a mech keyboard, i definitely won't have money for this :/
Royboyvdm
Not sure if real, but on their site: https://live.leapmotion.com/order.html

It costs 75.98$ which is cheaper as a mech, but i would wait untill, maby its scam idk
Tenshi-nyan
So, this for Mac only?
Or can Windows users, as in the majority of all PC users, also use this?

._.
IppE

Tenshi-nyan wrote:

So, this for Mac only?
Or can Windows users, as in the majority of all PC users, also use this?

._.
It works with Windows as well.
palinus

Royboyvdm wrote:

It costs 75.98$ which is cheaper as a mech, but i would wait untill, maby its scam idk
Wat you said. that's the reason I'm waiting for proof before buying.
Zelmarked
I'm intrigued, but the tracking and input lag deter me.
jianzii

IppE wrote:

jianzii wrote:

May I ask you, why did you get a Intuos4?
art

EDIT: OSU. I BOUGHT IT FOR OSU. I BOUGHT A $230 OSU MACHINE. AND GUESS WHAT, I ONLY PLAY EASY MAPS. HOW MAD DOES THIS MAKE YOU?
Tom69_old
IppE

jianzii wrote:

EDIT: OSU. I BOUGHT IT FOR OSU. I BOUGHT A $230 OSU MACHINE. AND GUESS WHAT, I ONLY PLAY EASY MAPS. HOW MAD DOES THIS MAKE YOU?
I doesn't make me mad at all, I play with an Intuos4 as well :>
Yakuyan
I cant even hold my arm in the air, even if my elbow was on my desk, for 4 minutes.
Tom69_old

TheBurningFlame wrote:

I cant even hold my arm in the air, even if my elbow was on my desk, for 4 minutes.
Check out how Neruell plays:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9h38uz15w8

I guess it's just about practice. Probably hard practice though.
Sonez_old
Looks pretty fun for messing around with, but I doubt the technology is developed enough to do anything serious with. Especially at that price.
G0r
Personally, after reading the reviews of it and watching the demo videos, I think it's going to be pretty damn accurate. I'm betting that this thing has some serious potential to actually replace mice, like they say they'd like to do with it. I'm pretty excited to see what people can do with it in Osu. If tablets can be used for this game, then I say why not this thing, considering that it seems to be able to read small finger movements. I just hope that it's not too weird to do a "mouse click" with it, because I play click/x, so I'd hate to have to learn to use full keyboard just for a new input device. XD
JAKACHAN

palinus wrote:

Royboyvdm wrote:

Wat you said. that's the reason I'm waiting for proof before buying.
It's not a scam it was displayed at a ton of different conventions. Just because a product is revolutionary doesn't mean it has to be expensive :P
Max
I would like to start this leap motion discussion again.
I'm a game developer student and my developer application for leap has been approved and soon i will receive my leap motion developer kit. As far as input lagg and precission i can confirm that it's really accurate (0,01mm) and by the looks minimum input lagg. As a matter of fact i have seen a video on the developer forums of someone using leap to play osu. I'm going to experiment with it as soon as it arrives and report back here or start a fresh thread showing some gameplay and perhaps a blog if i need to develop an application to make it work.
Oinari-sama
I remember seeing a similar idea on Ted quite a while back. The input lag back then was very noticeable (500ms roughly).

Will be interesting to see how far they've come in that area.
Max
Well if you type leap motion in youtube you can find quite some videos from developers using leap motion for their projects. Because this device is connected with usb it has minimal input lag. My guess it will be viable device for osu however it will greatly depend on how far peppy is willing to inplement it's features in to osu!
Brejlounek
I am a Leap motion developer, my devkit arrived few days ago. And Leap can play osu! just perfect! :D Everything they say about speed and accuracy is true. I wrote a simple mouse emulator. See it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWjeyy1bQOY
-GN
Now let's see that being used to do Airman or Big Black and I'm sold
enik

Brejlounek wrote:

I am a Leap motion developer, my devkit arrived few days ago. And Leap can play osu! just perfect! :D Everything they say about speed and accuracy is true. I wrote a simple mouse emulator. See it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWjeyy1bQOY

So wanna try it. By the way according to cursortrail straight lines on the last spinner it has pretty low refresh rate (seems even lower than in osu-replay) not sure though it's caused by your software or Leap itself. Think it might be a problem on very fast maps.
Full Tablet
What is the report rate? in that video the movements looked a bit choppy. In the osu! window it would have been a better idea to use a higher framerate (more than the fps Leap has at least).

And the input delay? Usually more than 10ms is near unplayable. (In a Youtube video is hard to notice that delay, you have to be playing to feel it).
Brejlounek
Yeah, the cursor line in the spinner is quite choppy, indeed. But not as in the replay mode, that ones are squares! :D

Currently, my revision 6 Leapmotion unit runs on my USB 2.0 (I don't have 3.0) at 100 fps or at 150 fps in hi-speed mode. But I played osu with leapmotion on limited 60 fps - I've had performance problems when on unlimited and even at 120 fps.

The problem here is that I need 3 applications for running Leap: LeapApp (basic leap application, eats ~25% on my Core2Duo, ~10% on my notebook i5), my mouse emulator and osu!. These three applications try to outrun each other and run as fast as possible. Osu! eats most performance of them when in Unlimited mode, so there is less processor time for other two apps to update cursor position. It can be tweaked by process priorities a little.

Solution would be having Leapmotion code implemented right in osu!, it would need much less performence and input lag would be even lower. It's unnoticable for me even like this - I once turned on vsync by mistake, that was some input lag! If I analyze my video frame-by-frame, there is some small noticable lag... Again, it's much bigger because there is one extra application on the chain.

If there was some way to tell osu "mouse" coordinates at exact time there are needed, there would not be any problem like this - osu! would tell my application "hey, I need mouse coordinates right now" and wait until my application didn't get them for it.

Anyways, even this dumbed down version is more than enough for my osu level - I have bigger problems using my keyboard than leap :D (I never tried it before). Aaaand this is only temporary solution. I will try to get around it somehow, and there will very probably be some better mouse emulator in the final release. :)

Oh, and latency is about 7-8 ms when using one finger and ~15 ms when using both hands.
Chuck Norris
@Brejlounek

Mind sending me your application? My dev-kit has still not arrived :/ and i'd like to try it as soon as i get it.
i could confirm if there is any latency difference when i get my leap.
i have a powerful pc i guess (16Gb ram/i7-2600k@5Ghz/Gtx680 etc...)

Looks good so far though.
Mind uploading a harder map that you can lets say hardly complete?