show more
jianzii

[Cooper] wrote:

I might get Bamboo next week. :3.
BTW, TNX 4 advice.
Same, really really helpful guide.
paitehoens
i have a bamboo third gen..
may i ask something here? can somebody tell me how to save custom preferences for bamboo?
thank you so much.. and sorry for my bad english :(
Zelmarked
If you installed your drivers, you'll find it in the control panel. "Bamboo preferences".
paitehoens
found it.. thank you so much :D
Maneuver
I think tablet learning curve is much easier than using mouse. As for mobility the pen is much more lighter and easier for precise control and moving than the mouse. Which one is more tired ?
Zelmarked
That's hard for me to say as to whether or not the learning curve is easier. Half the obj is accomplished by keyboard clicks, if you use +kb setups, which don't deffer in execution when switching from mouse to tablet.
It's hard to articulate but some experience even if under one peripheral can somewhat translate to using a a different peripheral, I would think. I'd like to hear experiences from people who started on a tablet and didn't use a mouse on how hard it was for them.

I'd say mouse is hard on your wrist and also your, thumb, pinky, and ring finger depending on how much you claw grip. Also tiring up your arm if use a low sensitivity.
Pen is a killer of fingers if you heavily claw grip. Wrist hurts on full proportions when you try to move your wrist as to not have to move your arm.
Can't say definitively yet.
Derekku
I have the first generation Bamboo Fun. Bought it in late 2008 for around $100 and it's still going strong! If anything ever happens to it, I might try the second generation Bamboo Fun. Great guide, by the way! (:
Raynor_senpai
good information!, but I have a question, what is better and recomended for playing osu
-Wacom Bamboo Capture
-Wacom Bamboo Connect

it's because I'll buy a new tablet but I interesed in a Bamboo Capture , and I read that the Bamboo connect is recomended in this post so, I Have no Idea what to buy!

so what is better?? =D)thanks!!!
Layne_old_1
~
kriers
I have dusty intous4 laying around here somewhere... The responsiveness is much higher than any other tablet I've ever tried. Hardly a sign of any 'squary' movements when hovering.

Expensive as hell, though xD
Meru
Is that genius tablet really bad? I want to try playing with tablet but I don't have enough budget ._.
jianzii

Matoryoshika wrote:

Is that genius tablet really bad? I want to try playing with tablet but I don't have enough budget ._.
Well, if Genius is selling their tablets, there can't be a whole mess of things wrong with them, but Wacom has kind of monopolized the market. How much is a Genius tablet compared to a Bamboo Pen that you can get for $50? Because I wouldn't buy a tablet below that price.
peppercatastrop

jianzii wrote:

Matoryoshika wrote:

Well, if Genius is selling their tablets, there can't be a whole mess of things wrong with them, but Wacom has kind of monopolized the market. How much is a Genius tablet compared to a Bamboo Pen that you can get for $50? Because I wouldn't buy a tablet below that price.
Mine's Genius G-Pen 4500, around $45 (it is 420000 IDR)
I haven't tried any tablet beside Genius so i can't tell.
G a r u d a
I'm seriously thinking about buying a tablet, I'm sick of using mouse >_>
The problem is, I don't know how much it costs here D:
Any brazillian players around? ):
G a r u d a
I just checked it... It costs around 200 to 300 bucks... Thanks for answering =3=
Meru

AeroRange wrote:

jianzii wrote:

Then... Is there any problem with that tablet? I mean you still can play fairly well with that genius right?
TenDesires_old

Raynor_senpai wrote:

good information!, but I have a question, what is better and recomended for playing osu
-Wacom Bamboo Capture
-Wacom Bamboo Connect

it's because I'll buy a new tablet but I interesed in a Bamboo Capture , and I read that the Bamboo connect is recomended in this post so, I Have no Idea what to buy!

so what is better?? =D)thanks!!!
Connect is okay to play osu!, but if you think Capture's features will be useful in other things for you like it was for me then buy it, it's only 20$ more expensive.
kingking9
I personally use a Bamboo Fun: Pen and Touch for osu!. It's quite good, but the tip on the pen wears out quite quickly, and you then have to buy a whole new pen (as the Bamboo line don't have replaceable nibs). It's easy to swap between a mouse, tablet and touchscreen though, so there's never an excuse not to play osu!
Mythras

kingking9 wrote:

I personally use a Bamboo Fun: Pen and Touch for osu!. It's quite good, but the tip on the pen wears out quite quickly, and you then have to buy a whole new pen (as the Bamboo line don't have replaceable nibs). It's easy to swap between a mouse, tablet and touchscreen though, so there's never an excuse not to play osu!
why dont you juse hover? then the pen lives on
peppercatastrop

Matoryoshika wrote:

AeroRange wrote:

Then... Is there any problem with that tablet? I mean you still can play fairly well with that genius right?
Yup. The first nib is still good until now.
My favourite part of Genius graphic tablets is the area config.
Topic Starter
Daru
Genius tablets aren't worth it, in my opinion.

They're priced fairly close to their Wacom counterparts in terms of size - close enough that it's often not worth sacrificing the quality of the product to save a few bucks.

It's very much a case of "you get what you pay for" - Wacom is the name brand here, and is almost unanimously favored by artists because of the quality of the product you receive (with some misgivings for the 1st gen Bamboo Fun). Genius tablets certainly are an option, but I can't really recommend them in comparison to Wacom.

It's worth noting that nearly all tablets share the basic options needed for osu - that is, sensitive area configuration and a "pen", or absolute tracking mode.
kingking9

Unkind wrote:

I'm beginning to do that, but it feels really weird. I almost rely on the feedback from the pen touching the tablet to make sure the note hits...
peppercatastrop
But no one selling any other tablet than Genius in here D:
Or maybe I have to purchase one from Jakarta

... oh wait I already had a tablet
Tsukimi Luna
I think I'm gonna get a Wacom bamboo connect >.<
emergist
I've just bought a Wacom CTF-420, it's awesome.
VaiL_old

AeroRange wrote:

But no one selling any other tablet than Genius in here D:
Or maybe I have to purchase one from Jakarta

... oh wait I already had a tablet
why dont you look for it in singapore? i've seen a lot of tablets over there.. and indonesia is right beside singapore
AliceSuyeong

kingking9 wrote:

Unkind wrote:

I'm beginning to do that, but it feels really weird. I almost rely on the feedback from the pen touching the tablet to make sure the note hits...
Is it intentional that the pen moves really slowly? Compared to the mouse of course. It feels to be even slower when I do not hover and use it with a physical contact instead.
Valentiino

AliceSuyeong wrote:

Is it intentional that the pen moves really slowly? Compared to the mouse of course. It feels to be even slower when I do not hover and use it with a physical contact instead.
The only way the cursor can feel "slow" is coz of input lag, caused by something (aero + windowed mode on osu! does that)
Kennjin
Can I also become one of the top players without a tablet or is that impossible with mouse and keyboard ?
YodaSnipe
omg wacom totemo lied to me. They was like NO! you can't use older gen pens on newer gen tablets. So I raged at osu! playing some map and broke my new gen tablet pen, only to find an older gen tablet pen and IT POOTIN' WORKED. Damn wacom you LIED TO ME T_T

/me cries in a corner.
Nekoroll
rofl Yoda.

Great tablet purchasing guide. I use an intuos3 and my tablet has been working just as new for the past 5 or so years that I've used it for art and osu! (2 years+). I hover except for when I spin and the only noticeable wear is just the tiny area in the middle where I spin. My pen is great. :D Keyboard has not broken either.

I agree with everything Daru recommended. SS would read again.

Kennjin wrote:

Can I also become one of the top players without a tablet or is that impossible with mouse and keyboard ?
There are many top players who use mouse. Don't be discouraged. :)
jianzii
I think I might switch from my Intuos4 to a Bamboo Pen. I'm finding that I don't really do any art anymore, so my tablet is basically just an Osu! input device.
atrain
I just wanted to say that Thanks to this article I have decided to buy the Bamboo connect instead of going with some cheaper art tablet.

I get it in tomorrow and I can not wait to start learning tablet. I hope it only takes me a few hours to get used to Like how it did when i was learning arcade stick for the first time.
darkmiz
So many people buy tablets to play osu.
I think tablet companies should pay peppy for increasing their sales :)
peppy
You can support osu! while buying a tablet by using my amazon links :).

These are my two recommendations from a price, size and quality perspective:

Wacom Bamboo Splash Pen Tablet ($66.99)
Wacom Bamboo Capture Pen and Touch Tablet ($89.99)

If you have any other amazon fulfilled tablets you want to buy, I can create links for those too.
nanashiRei
Just thinking, can you add links that work with the European version of Amazon, too? Those won't work for me, guess it's because of the company split EU/US/Asia
peppy
Not too sure if that works with referral links.
PhiLL A
Do gen 3 pens work on gen 2 tablets?
enik

MxG PhiLL wrote:

Do gen 3 pens work on gen 2 tablets?
SPOILER
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101104194514AA2IZm8
Seems like no.
P.S. Happy 5 Birthday Osu!
PhiLL A
Oh, that sucks. I thought you could, because i saw some live plays by Rucker and apparently he uses gen 2 tablet with gen 3 pen. Go figure.
show more