forum

Make Skins completely animatable

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +126
Topic Starter
Jenny
Ohai!

Well, as the title says, I'd like to see a feature in osu! that allows to animate EVERY object in skins (also, add a toggle to options to enable/disable that in your skin ofc).

Why this?

Well, on the one hand I am a giantic fan of animated stuff (yes, also for skin elements, if not overdone), on the other it gives people a lot of new possibilities in skinning - imagine a blurring, glaring and size-variating sun as a cursor or structure-shifting approachcircles; of course, many people will find this "disturbing" since the majority already deletes all BGs, skins and vids (got'ya) but for people like me and skinners in general that'd be a totally nice feature which many people would appreciate.

To keep it short: Enable animationing (as it is for healthbar, followpoints etc.) for all skin-elements and add a toggle for that to options-tab in client.

What do you people think of that idea?
Would you appreciate (and use) it?
-Athena-

Especially since this feature isn't 100% necessary, you have my support though, I wouldn't mind if this got implemented, would freshen up skinning a bit, and also cause the appearence of tons of game crashing skins. Anyone making a skin like this should put up a fair warning in the thread, especially since you can't just "turn things off" in skins without manually handling them.
Aoko
It would make osu! more lag than usual then :<
But, support if there is toggle ofc.
Topic Starter
Jenny
It's meant to have a toggle to "disable aditional animated game objects" in options-tab of client, similar to the "enable background video"-one.
Stefan
Please not.
Topic Starter
Jenny

TheNutritiousGuy wrote:

Please not.
Any reason?
Since you would be able to disable it, there'd be no force on it.
Soaprman
Not sure I'd want this forced on me in beatmaps too often but I could totally see myself using it for a personal skin sometime.

Having a separate "click" animation for the cursor would be nice too. I definitely have a motive for this one.
Stefan
I was at school, so didn't had time.
So why not.. Some skins are already animated, especially something like the HP-Bar.

As example, the Higurashi Skin. HP-Bar is animated.
Also my Skin got a animated Slider follow Circle. And a animated Menu-Back Image.

So it is not really neccessary to add this because this is more or less already possible.
Some things aren't ready to animated, if I'm not wrong. But mostly is possible to animated just with Pictures.
If I talk about the wrong topic, never mind then.
Topic Starter
Jenny

Soaprman wrote:

Not sure I'd want this forced on me in beatmaps too often but I could totally see myself using it for a personal skin sometime.

Having a separate "click" animation for the cursor would be nice too. I definitely have a motive for this one.
As said, it'd have a toggle in options, so you could disable it for ALL MAPS and ALL SKINS if you want to.

TheNutritiousGuy wrote:

I was at school, so didn't had time.
So why not.. Some skins are already animated, especially something like the HP-Bar.

As example, the Higurashi Skin. HP-Bar is animated.
Also my Skin got a animated Slider follow Circle. And a animated Menu-Back Image.

So it is not really neccessary to add this because this is more or less already possible.
Some things aren't ready to animated, if I'm not wrong. But mostly is possible to animated just with Pictures.
If I talk about the wrong topic, never mind then.
Sliderfollowcircle.png, Sliderball.png, HP-bar and such are like always animated and that's totally common but what I want is the possibility of doing that for every item available in a skin.
Stefan

Jenny wrote:

Sliderfollowcircle.png, Sliderball.png, HP-bar and such are like always animated and that's totally common but what I want is the possibility of doing that for every item available in a skin.
These things aren't everytime animated. I don't see (as example) that the HP-Bar of the default skin is animated.
Ninja Edit: At the End some people will remove the skin anyway, because it is annoying.
I am honest about this, because I also do this in rare case.
Dragvon
I support menu elements to be animated. Gameplay ones are so-so because some could disrupt the gameplay itself, plus a little more stress on low-end pcs adding up with the storyboard load. Also, hitcircle do not stay for long time in screen, so animating would either use a little number of frames or barely noticeable. Approach circle is obviously a no-no.

Spinner background? Yeah. Circle? Maybe...
Pause and fail screen would be lovely too.
theowest
..more lag and distractions? Let's just hope nobody's ever going to use an animated skin as default in a ranked beatmap.

and I don't see how it could be applied to EVERY single skinable element. That's be awful.

The only skinable elements that I'd see work well would be combo burst, count, menu buttons, pause buttons, play skip, play warning, ranks (+ any other ranking element) and section fail/pass.
CXu
Shapeshifting hitcircle changing from a circle to a triangle to a square and back to a circle!
YES!
theowest

CXu wrote:

Shapeshifting hitcircle changing from a circle to a triangle to a square and back to a circle!
YES!
wat lol
boat

Soaprman wrote:

theowest wrote:

..more lag and distractions? Let's just hope nobody's ever going to use an animated skin as default in a ranked beatmap.

Jenny wrote:

It's meant to have a toggle to "disable aditional animated game objects" in options-tab of client, similar to the "enable background video"-one.
Conclusion? Not necessarily.

I approve of this, nonetheless.
Rena-chan
I totally approve of this !

Every skinning/mapping/storyboarding feature idea out there can (and most likely will, if implemented) be potentially abused anyway, and animating more game elements can most definitely be used in awesome ways.
Jesss
I freaking support this!! *¬* waiting long time for this kind of request!
Sakura

Rena-chan wrote:

Every skinning/mapping/storyboarding feature idea out there can (and most likely will, if implemented) be potentially abused anyway, and animating more game elements can most definitely be used in awesome ways.
We could always put some rule that prevents abuse by mappers, that way mappers would be restricted, but skinners would be free to use them for their own :)
Soaprman

Jenny wrote:

Soaprman wrote:

As said, it'd have a toggle in options, so you could disable it for ALL MAPS and ALL SKINS if you want to.
Actually, even though I said what I said, I don't think a toggle for this would be necessary, nor would be a rule prohibiting it. The modding process can catch any instances done in poor taste and I can just not play the few maps that slip through.

And I do have at least one per-map skin idea that would benefit from this.
Suimya
o.o Jenny is full of surprises ~

and I really support this idea ~
Miya
Animated skin will be good. But it will cause lag in some of computer >.<
Anyway, support :)
Yuzeyun
I approve of this, if animations can be added to the other modes too it's be great ! (More Taiko-circles frames, being limited to 2 wasn't very good when I tried to make a Yin-Yang orb note in taiko mode.)
YodaSnipe

Sakura wrote:

Rena-chan wrote:

We could always put some rule that prevents abuse by mappers, that way mappers would be restricted, but skinners would be free to use them for their own :)
Seriously you guys do a GREAT job of preventing horrible skins, distracting BGs, wtf SBs, and -_- maps. You can totally prevent abuse for completely animatable skins. [/sarcasm]
ziin

YodaSnipe wrote:

Seriously you guys do a GREAT job of preventing horrible skins, distracting BGs, wtf SBs, and -_- maps. You can totally prevent abuse for completely animatable skins. [/sarcasm]
map specific skins really need to go away.
YodaSnipe

ziin wrote:

*waves goodbye to map specific skins*
Sonez_old

ziin wrote:

worst part of playing multiplayer
Winshley
Animated hit lighting would be cool. Imagine the burst effect of the hit lighting after hitting notes, or seeing it in action during Kiai time with Hidden mod. 8-)
YodaSnipe

Winshley wrote:

Animated hit lighting would be cool. Imagine the burst effect of the hit lighting after hitting notes, or seeing it in action during Kiai time with Hidden mod. 8-)
notsureifserious
Topic Starter
Jenny
Why not spend your newly given SP?~ <3
Suimya
sure :3 since i liked this ~
show more