forum

@ osu! Standard mode players: Why don't you play Taiko?

posted
Total Posts

Why don't you play Taiko?

Lack of beginner maps that are meant for Taiko mode.
14.99%
The game mode doesn't look fun to me.
25.06%
I tried playing it, but was having difficulties learning so I gave up / quit.
45.19%
Other (Please Specify / Post in the thread your reason)
14.77%
Total votes: 447
show more
Stefan

Royboyvdm wrote:

I find it too hard, looking at the screen gets me crazy when it goes fast lol
Kinda strange because you almost have this at Standard, too.

gat1toneku wrote:

i have no interest in game modes other than standard since joining
standard is so much fun that all other modes look like boring shit to me!
At least, you should give the modes a Chance and to check up how they feel to play.
I know some people where never played Taiko or CtB and calling as Bullfuck or something else.
And these people are happy when they reached Rank #20.000 or higher. lol - -
Tanzklaue
hm, kinda all three of the options, I tried playing taiko but because of the lack of beginnerfriendly maps I had difficulties in learning it, and because of that I didn't have any fun.

plus the advanced maps (oni and stuff) seem to me like random notespamming for the sake of difficulty. they often don't follow any rhythm, they are just there because taiko has no other ways to be challenging.
dH_
Coming from arcade/console Taiko, the Taiko mode in Osu has always felt... off. It seems like most of the maps aren't synced all that well, or are otherwise oddly different from the actual games :/
Lesjuh
Nearly none of the maps on this game are specially made for taiko mode. They are originally created for osu!standard, taiko mode bases the d's and k's on the hitsounds of the map. This is the reason why practically every map in the game sucks ass in taiko mode. The maps that ARE created for taiko are always pooting hard and only for the elite (with a few exceptions).

I don't play taiko because of that^, following the notes-track hurts my eyes and I don't have the patience to get good at it.
Lunah
I find kinda difficult understand when click red and when click blue, some streams like this :

or also when mixed-up, like 3 red, 2 blue, 1 red, 4 blue etc .. and stuff like these..

If it was alternate like : red, blue, red, blue or 1 blue every 5 red (for example) there was no problem.

Personally I play following the rhythm and if there is an hitsounds bad synched I fail.
Triskelion91
When I originally tried to learn it, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I was just spamming the 4 buttons randomly, getting a maximum combo of like.. 5.

I just gave up and played standard, since it was much easier to understand for me. If there were easy maps for taiko, I would play it.

So I would say 1 & 3 for me.
MMzz

Xgor wrote:

I hate 99% of the maps.... That's all.
True, because 99% of them suck.
Mismagius
Because I'm very bad at it, and even though I try getting better, it just doesn't work
Lunah

Blue Dragon wrote:

Because I'm very bad at it, and even though I try getting better, it just doesn't work
\agree 3 years playing taiko and i still suck, LOL
Aqo
I've been a standard-only player for about 4-5 months and only a few weeks ago I started playing taiko. The main reason I stayed away from Taiko were:

1. Didn't know it's actually popular. I wasn't aware that there's actually a big taiko (and ctb) scene and I thought those modes are not worth investing my time on.
2. The fact that there are no beginner maps for taiko was a huge problem too, made it pretty much impossible to learn it. All the taiko-specific difficulties on standard maps that I love were way too hard for me, so I felt like I have no way to get into it.

However after talking to 2 active taiko players, I looked around at the rankings are realized a lot of people play taiko (and ctb), which made me show interest in it. Then one of the taiko players I talked to told me how to search for easy taiko maps, that they go by japanese difficulty names (kantan/futsu/muzukashi) and he gave me some muzukashii maps to practice on, which helped me start learning the game.

I think taiko is very fun, although it lacks the visual appeal of standard mode for a spectator. It's still fun to play. I hope more taiko-only players played standard too, and that more standard-only players played taiko, but until somebody makes a good map list of easy maps to learn taiko with it'll be hard for people to get in.

I saw the thread somebody recently made for learning taiko, and while I think it was very nicely formatted and explained well, I tried following it and the content didn't help me that much to improve... it seemed to focus more on working on your speed, and not enough focus on D/K patterns. As a standard player, speed is much less of a problem to me, and what I really needed help with was reading red/blue in time to hit them correctly.

Just going over a ton of normal-difficulty standard maps and checking their translates to find ones that are good to practice on helped me improve more. (like Nymph's mapset for Sweets Parade [normal]. A rare good translate for taiko beginner learning! most translates end up terrible)

I think sliders and spinners don't belong in taiko mode at all, and translates shouldn't include them. They're as good as a break section in a map and this makes low-level translates pretty much "empty" for actually learning taiko. And without translates, most players have no clue how to find low level taiko maps for learning purposes. I had to literally go over all of my taiko diffs to find easier ones like the one for Last Christmas which I could do at first with HalfTime, and then helped me improve and learn to clear it normally too, etc.
those
I do play Taiko.
However, I do agree there is a serious lack of easier Taiko diffs.
OnosakiHito
I will not much argue about this, so I will give you guys just some links and infos for now.

p/300584 - A thread where people can learn how to play taiko with beginner friendly diffs.
lepidopodus skydrive - Here you can find many authentic maps and some other maps from him with beginner friendly maps
p/523140 - A thread from OnosakiHito where you can find also whole Taiko-Sets

Else, people can enter into the beatmap search function ,,taiko no tatsujin" or ,,OnosakiHito" since they can find there futsuu and muzukashii maps.
Right now as I know, I'm the only one who is making everytime more diffs for a map-set if the number of slots or the beatmap creator allows it.

Another support I have wanted to give in near future is to open a thread were Taiko-people can make with me for allready ranked beatmaps offline Taiko-Sets which external links can be edited into the first post of a allready ranked beatmap. Since editing the post dosen't effect the Heart/Bubble sign anymore, this is possible.

(If you didn't understand it, just tell me lol)
Wishy
As I already told your karter, that mod is unplayable and boring since it takes like 20 hours to find a fun map you can play as a beginner (challenging but not impossible). I think this issue comes out from the fact that there isn't any kind of rule like "if you map an Insane you need to map at least one easy difficulty". Even when I'm against this rule, I'd say that something like "you must map some beginner playable difficulty if you want your Oni ranked" would do just fine.

osu! diffs converted to Taiko suck hard, are boring or just unplayable because of ridiculous AR (can't play AR 9 at all if you're a beginner, you can't even read any pattern), and most Oni are filled with dkdk kkddkk kdkdkkd so you can't play them at all if you don't have some practice.

Having exclusive Taiko maps getting ranked, having Standard,Advanced, Muzukashii, Oni and Inner Oni (were those the taiko diff names?) like those maps you linked me would do the job.
OnosakiHito
^ This rule wouldn't help that much right now since we have limited slots.
Wishy
Edited: Having exclusive Taiko maps getting ranked, having Standard,Advanced, Muzukashii, Oni and Inner Oni (were those the taiko diff names?) like those maps you linked me would do the job.

That stuff about "limited slots" was, is and will be retarded since it's the mapper's problem if he wants to have a thousand diffs or just three, he knows that if he adds more diffs it will take longer to get it ranked, if he doesn't mind taking that "risk" then it'd be fine.
OnosakiHito
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/35211 - I agree with what you said. But well, that's another topic I guess.
Daru
I want an arcade drum first.
That's the only reason keeping from playing the mode.
Wishy
Is every map from Taiko no Tatsujin (the original game, I mean) on osu!? I mean, if we had some kind of super Taiko pack were we could download every original map from the original game it'd be quite cool and way easier to start playing. At least when I played the game in Japan it was quite fun since I had tons of songs with 4 difficulties each, well tagged and ordered so I could easily find what to play. Having the 10 stars system helps too since you can divide difficulties much better (having 4 tiers, and 10 other tiers into it called stars). But here on osu! it's a pain in the ass.

If that already exists, link plx. xd
Gaba
Option 3

But I didn't give up or quit, i'm trying to improve D:
eldnl
I tried it before but it is hard as shit.
EvianBubble
Pretty much 1 and 3. I couldn't find any easy maps and I thought it was hard to learn - as in, I had no idea what I was doing and tried to figure it out but it only halfway worked lol :P
Zelmarked
Doesn't look fun.
Amefuri Koneko
I play stepmania instead of taiko :3
Much more fun imho.
darkmiz
I'm a standard mode player, but I love Taiko. The fact is everyone can become pro in Taiko if they keep playing, unlike osu! standard mode where not everyone owns a tablet or have extreme mouse skills or 200 bpm finger speed. Taiko is simply a rhythm game. You just pay attention to the rhythm. And your skill will gradually improve after lots of plays.
Gon
progress in osu! is top priority atm, that's all there is to it for me
jianzii
1. There aren't that many beginner maps.
2. I don't like how it's only keyboard. I started playing because standard mode is a game of both rhythm and mouse coordination.
3. It doesn't look like fun, it seems unrewarding to me the little bit I have played.
4. The sun gives me nightmares.
F m L_old
Taiko Oni's are too hard
ampzz
I did try venturing a go at the mode but it never clicked in my head as something that I would actually enjoy playing regardless of however long I decided to play it. So, as a repercussion I stay away from it and focus on standard with some rare CTB on the side.
knjiga
I think taiko is cool and I tried to learn it, but it's just too hard for me. My rhythm sucks and I ended up relying mostly on vision when i played it.
If some part required use of two hands it was completely incomprehensible for me.

I simply wasn't satisfied and just gave up.
IppE
Because having to distinguish between two different things to hit is impossible for me.
Boom
Too Difficult!!! I try to play 3 stars+ map but can't pass it.
And it made my fingers,eyes and brain confused.
raburienjel
because i prefer standard mode to taiko

fin
D33d
For me, it's because I'm not knowledgeable enough to know of any beginner sets. Because I play and map standard, every taiko appearance is either an Oni or a Muzukashii, or otherwise, something equivalent to those. Hopefully, the mapset number rule will allow for more featured taiko sets along with standard sets. It'd be nice if taiko only sets were rankable as well. They're not, right?
Topic Starter
karterfreak

D33d wrote:

It'd be nice if taiko only sets were rankable as well. They're not, right?
Currently, taiko only mapsets are not rankable as far as I'm aware. However, seeing the poll results my initial thoughts seem to be correct on this so far, which is good as that means that there's something that taiko mappers can do about it.
thelewa
I don't play taiko because taiko is harder than standard
Stefan

ragelewa wrote:

Unreasonable reason.
Milkshake
i feel dizzy and it makes headche, really.
thelewa

TheNutritiousGuy wrote:

ragelewa wrote:

Unreasonable reason.
It's not unreasonable. Why should I play something that's way too hard for me and because of that not enjoyable?
lolcubes
I also consider taiko to be harder than standard. I guess it's a matter of what I got used to.
Also, even in 800x600 window, taiko makes me dizzy.
kriers
I can read taiko comfortably now with 120hz. With 60hz it gave me a massive headache
show more