forum

Friends scores on maps and ratings [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +698
show more
hinaskye
I just had this same thought just now and was looking around to see if anyone had posted it. definitely support this, unfortunately i have no votes
Takuya
Sounds interesting. Support
Topic Starter
Xact
Cool to see plenty of others sharing the same interest!
Rii_old_1
great idea, support (if I had a star)
peppy
I've always wanted to do this, but technically speaking this is a very hard (intensive) thing to handle.
kriers
no more one-way relationships with cookiezi! :D :D :D
Disease_old_1
if i had stars.. support.
GigaClon
the current friend system seems to be a tacked on / half-baked feature. The only thing that friends do is show up when online and a filter for MP games. There is no way to see the people that have friended me or who my friends are and if they are mutual in one place. I would start with a profile page that lists this stuff. I can see where this would be rather database intenstive, but i would rather look at where my friends stand then the overall rankings which im never going to get close to. I would limit it to mutual friends and perhaps only 1 "rival". Another idea would be to cache the data on some period so that the intense query isn't run as often. I Realize that this can be tough, but I think it would be so worth it.
Mercurial
Supported and voted.

peppy wrote:

I've always wanted to do this, but technically speaking this is a very hard (intensive) thing to handle.
C'mon peppy, you can do it.
Kei
It's a good idea. I wondered several times how much score did some of my friends got on certain maps.

This should be implemented.

iMercurial wrote:

o/
Horai_old

iMercurial wrote:

Supported and voted.

peppy wrote:

yes peppy you can do it!
PROgrammer!
Teliko
+1 and bumping for support. Was about to suggest this myself until I found it was already here. I started playing Osu recently and was actually kinda surprised this feature wasn't already implemented. This would undoubtedly make a huge difference to the competitive scene among Osu, as well as encouraging widening friend circles within the community. Only seeing my own scores is kinda boring, and I'm nowhere near the skill level of top 40, so there's no point in me ever even having that tab open.

As tedious a task as it may be to implement a feature like this, it would be a huge step up for Osu.
Furan333
first post, playing this fantastic game for some nights now (my brother now do also) and i really miss the friends score in a tab to make osu! a great competitive way for people like me who don't have an interest in the top 40 and only want to see what scores/ranks the friends are making on a map. i also think that would be a big social-gaming boost for osu!.
Foggen
This would add another layer of competition that would be great. It would give you another reason to play a song, another goal to reach. Not to mention it would be nice to have that information right there in game.
Sanae Kochiya
It would be nice. If i had Stars Support
Furan333
as i recall audiosurf handles the friend competition very well. you can filter the online scores so that only your friends scores will show up and it also drops you an email if a friend has beaten you on a map (mp3).
Aoko
Support. This would be a good idea. We can make more friends thus, you won't have problems finding your friends score/s and to invite them into a rival fight. ;)
Devil Cosmo
I'm support to this :D
michaelliang
That's a great idea!
Skyara
I gave you a star because I really love the idea :D It would be so great to have a friends rank on each map you play, to add more challenge and fun to solo mode.
S o r c e r y
support! nice idea
Shadow
Sounds like a good idea, but maybe make it that it will only work if both are mutual friends?
XGeneral2000

peppy wrote:

By this, do you mean it's hard to code, or it's difficult for the server to handle requests on that scale? If it's the former, then I guess it can't be helped, but if it's the latter, you could limit it so it doesn't load the server so badly, like have it update only once in a while (hourly?), or only be between mutual friends like ShadowLord suggested. Alternately, maybe you could tone down other features, like make only top 6 scores automatically upload a replay (I don't think a lot of people watch replays that aren't on the first page).

Sorry if I sound pushy and selfish, but this is the coolest idea ever. A scoreboard for friends is, like, literally the one thing I've always wanted to see in osu!, and I'll be rather sad if it's never implemented.
theowest
I've already experienced many of my friends activity on many top 40s and for me, that's enough. I really wouldn't care about anyone under rank 40. That just means they suck and that isn't fun to see. :lol:
Tear
This is one of those features I have no idea why aren't in yet. Almost every game with leaderboards lets you compete against your friends' scores, it lets newbies have fun too. Full support
GeNJiii_old
Nice Idea
JackspicerX13
Supporting, I'd need this to keep up with my friends, on-the-fly.
XPJ38
Support, this is an interesting feature.
Yuzeyun
This is a great idea. I would've given one vote for, but sdafafdgfagsd no stars :c

Supporting this.
jabberwockey
Support, a really cool idea \:D/
mmstick
I don't see how this would be intensive to implement, plenty of other games do this. One way would be to store all scores on a server, only keeping the highest score a user makes and the client simply grabs the data from the website database in real-time (similar to embedding a frame of a webpage). Another way would be for the clients to individually ask other clients for their highest local scores to sync with and promptly attempt to sync with friends clients when a new high score is obtained.

It would also be nice if every beatmap had their own dedicated torrent link, possibly even have torrent functionality implemented inside Osu! I'd be willing to donate tons of bandwidth if this existed.
theowest

mmstick wrote:

It would also be nice if every beatmap had their own dedicated torrent link, possibly even have torrent functionality implemented inside Osu! I'd be willing to donate tons of bandwidth if this existed.
In your dreams. osu! doesn't want to be associated with that kind of stuff.
mmstick

theowest wrote:

mmstick wrote:

In your dreams. osu! doesn't want to be associated with that kind of stuff.
Why not? Are you implying there is some major flaw in the torrent protocol? If anything, it would drastically take the load off of the Osu servers, reducing bandwidth cost and needs. Give me a single good reason for why it would be a bad thing to be 'associated' with an Internet protocol like torrent.
Sakura
This is the closest thing to torrents we have: t/64970 feel free to donate bandwidth to it :)

Now back to topic.
theowest
Now that I think about it. It would be kind of swell.

A torrent based system inside osu!, automatically running, all files and everything are shared as you upload them automatically (but act in a specific way depending on how things would work best). Damn. osu! would be so cost efficient if this was the case. That's how all sharing should work! I never thought torrents were this revolutionary before.

Yeah, back to topic. Very interesting though. I'd love to have a discussion about it, but not here of course.
emergist
OT...

Support this feature, it is just like a social network.
smoogipoo
I would really like this feature to be supported, it would really give the game a bit more of a competition between friends :D
Azure_Kite
Last I heard, p2p functionality was already being programmed into the game, It's just not in effect yet. It would be cool to see a friends rating board, but it would be harder to manage server-wise than top 40.

If you want to do this, just grab your friends' replays. Their scores move over to the local scoreboard.
theowest
There should be a check box right on top of the online ranking; "Show friend plays only". Somewhere between here:

Should also be available on the web, right next to the "shoe no-mod plays only:
XGeneral2000
"Display friends on song select rankings when present."

Did I read that right

Because if I did, I'm going to squeal like a girl
show more