forum

What caused you to become an Otaku?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Konaruhi
Animax. Desu owo
silmarilen
saw an AMV on youtube and i liked it so i started watching the anime.
Pizzicato
Typical teenagers here are retarded. I don't wanna become like them. Therefore, otaku
Valentiino
Well, it all started with Pokémon, Digimon & Dragon Ball (the only shows showed up in TV).

But I started to watch anime and got interested in japanese culture around 2008~

And nowdays it's just weeaboo to the max .__.
mathexpert
For me it started with Naruto & Beach, but then I stopped watching anime for a while. What turned me into an otaku was Ookami-San, I just loved the different archetypes (like tsundere, loli, etc), the romance, and comedy. It was a completely new and amazing experience, and I've been hooked ever since. ;)
synchronincity
It started off with a recent anime: The World God Only Knows.
After that I went to Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya.
My life was ruined by then......
hoihoisoi
I was an introvert back when I was younger and so the only thing which kept my life filled with color was manga. First manga i read was Mahoraba and then the list started to pile up like crazy. Now I have like a real social life but I still stick with my roots of being an otaku cause anime and manga just has to be part of my life.
dNextGen
Internet

I wouldn't call myself an anime otaku though.
pacmanmania

dNextGen wrote:

Internet

I wouldn't call myself an anime otaku though.
ampzz
Early childhood.
10nya
it more enjoyable being 'otaku' than being a normal student orz
I found bored being normal student and being otaku is not boring at all~ that was caused me xD
those
The fail of the human race made me believe in something else.
Rey Fullbuster
because of this game, and i got a friend who also an otaku :D
Xylem Beer
Started 3 years ago when I got addicted to Special A without knowing it. I used to hate animes tho when I was still a kid.
BatterKnife
I got addicted to cuteness when I started watching anime 3 years ago
Jazz
i'm already watching anime before but not to the extent that i stalk research about the voice actors and the artists

i only started being addicted when i was in first year high school
my uncle made me get obsessed in code geass there i started googling jun fukuyama, orange range, FLOW, CLAMP, etc.
Oreiora
I wouldn't necessarily say "caused" my to become an otaku, there's no social discrimmination against otakus where I live anyway. I'd say that I first starting watching anime when I friend lent me the whole series of Prince of Tennis when I was into tennis. Soon after that, the same friend lent me D.Gray Man. Before I knew it, I was on the internet watching all sorts of animes.
Capricore
Well, my dear human, simple curiosity and that curiosity led to another thing called "interest" which led to, yet another thing, called addiction.“ヽ(´▽`)ノ”
Mitsuneko
I might have been an otaku even before I realized it.As a child, I really enjoyed Inuyasha, Naruto, and other anime. I had all the Inuyasha video games,dvd's, manga & such, but then I kinda forgot about it.
Years later, I thought that the anime I really enjoyed was Naruto, even though it was Inuyasha. I started to watch the anime though & I loved it too. Soon after, I discovered what Lucky Star was. I finally decided "I wanna be a full-otaku like Konata Izumi!" So, that from vocaloid to a bunch of other stuff. So now I'm an otaku.
Story of ma life~
GeNJiii_old
My history is the same but without Inuyasha, I saw dragon ball, naruto and one piece when I was a child. A few years ago ( like 4 ) I really dont know when I started to be an otaku, but I am. I started to see One Piece and Naruto and I really enjoy them, I still watching it
Mizou-kun
My older brother :D It all started with Naruto .. then Bleach .. Then I had a computer of my own \o/ :D

Also Pokemon :D
Liut
Same as some1 already said.
My older brother introduced me to otaku/videogames
Anyway i don't really consider myself an otaku
tyrael6192

those wrote:

The fail of the human race made me believe in something else.
QFT... a whole new romantic dream visionary side came out of nowhere and my mind went from sterile to creative
orz

I've only watched a few anime, but I'm completely obsessed with Japanese culture, language, -> music, -> vocaloid, then somehow cosplay, so on... I'm not sure if that qualifies as complete otaku or just a weeaboo, but I'm not denying either title. It's a weird story, actually, how I came to be here in the first place... I had a game on my phone that imitated beatmania and one of the song packs that came with it contained within a remix of septette for the dead princess... I fell in love and eventually searched for this on youtube, and this was my link to the entire world of touhou fandom and doujin circle music...

I soon enough stumbled across gameplay of said music in a game called osu, and since then my knowledge of and interest in this previously remote sphere of culture has flourished hugely, and I doubt that, if I hadn't downloaded that one game from the android market, I would still be the same person today. Probably somehow ended up to be the most life-changing thing I've had happen to me. ^_^

In fact just found the song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApKIrubNa-s All the memories <3 Best bit starts at 4 minutes, so if you're uncertain just listen from there..
Shohei Ohtani
Puberty and Mio Akiyama >3<~
KinomiCandy
Haruhi Suzumiya.
Da7shadow
:x
SereneAce
When NGE first aired... didn't come back to fully watching till a lot later though (around Busou Renkin time?)- but Code Geass really made up my mind to stick to watching.

Pretty caught up everything in-between NGE and Busou Renkin and started reading manga soon after that...
Piotrekol

r3yn41d0 wrote:

because of this game, and i got a friend who also an otaku :D
dis.
Note L
I don't know...
I think because I watched anime on TV (Naruto, etc.)
Hocker_Zocker
In 6th grade I was really bored and suddenly i started to watch Kaichouwa Maid-sama and than more and more animes .
But I wouldnt call my self an otaku ;)
I am just watching really much animes ^_^
eIohim
Not sure if I could be called an otaku, in terms of general anime knowledge, I don't know a lot.
I became increasingly interested in asian stuff due to Denkare's songs, at the time I had started to play guitar, and I just loved their music.

From there to the rest, just a step.
Ruidoso
Everybody was talking about Asia, but they were talking about mostly Korea. I just love Japan more than other asian countries so one day I found myself searching for Japanese TV and I found those perfect animes.
eIohim

Andy wrote:

Before Haruhi and LS, it was Naruto, Bleach, FMA, etc
Soon after that, moeshit animes, and bam I turned into a faggot!
Quality post. 10/10
Soly
Yarissa
I used to watch anime with english dubs. I then got tired of waiting for weekly releases and proceeded to find it with japanese subtitles online. Then after catching up and waiting for weekly releases again, I got bored of having nothing to watch and began picking up currently airing anime and downloading as many series as I could to kill time with. I took a lot of recommendations from other people as well until I started actively searching for anime myself. I got into manga a little bit as well while searching for new unique anime. Before I knew it anime became a passion for me.
Kai Faust
Started when I was about 4 and watched Sailor Moon/Cardcaptor Sakura dubbed on TV. Moved onto DBZ, Bleach, etc. then stopped for about two years. I was browsing a PSP forum and saw some anime downloads, downloaded Kanokon, and have been watching subbed stuff for about two years now.
Kiddo-Kun
Basically loving Naruto as a kid, and then growing into other animes. But from there, I realized how bad Naruto is compared to other animes.And from then on, I explored.
Espionage724
I was looking around on the internet one day and saw a picture of some anime girl (Konata) and thought "hmm, I'm curious as to what this is even from". Searched it, found out she was from some anime called "Lucky Star", watched it, thought it was pretty awesome, watched a bunch more anime, tried learning Japanese (still learning), and here I am now :p
Moriya Suwako
osu...
The reason why I love anime is that I've played many anime beatmaps in osu= =
DerekMcD

Kaoru wrote:

I used to watch anime with english dubs. I then got tired of waiting for weekly releases and proceeded to find it with japanese subtitles online. Then after catching up and waiting for weekly releases again, I got bored of having nothing to watch and began picking up currently airing anime and downloading as many series as I could to kill time with. I took a lot of recommendations from other people as well until I started actively searching for anime myself. I got into manga a little bit as well while searching for new unique anime. Before I knew it anime became a passion for me.

Are you're talking about the VOD service on TV?
show more