forum

Less visible/invisible crecent in slider backgrounds [resolved]

posted
Total Posts

What slider graphic do you prefer?

DirectX (curved lines along the slider; first image)
45.45%
OpenGL (gradient along slider; second image)
54.55%
Total votes: 55
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +10
Topic Starter
Behon
From Day 1, the default DirectX mode of osu! has had these weird crescent-like shapes that appear in the background of sliders:

But lo and behold, I tried out OpenGL mode today and they were barely there:

Things look a lot nicer and more accurate to the DS games this way. Could the same be done for DirectX mode?
peppy
They are actually part of the style on DX though - they are fully transparent and look kinda cool IMO. I'm sure this has been brought up before, as well. I won't close it as I'm relatively neutral on the issue and would like to make both modes look the same, at least.
Topic Starter
Behon
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy
No, I'd rather a standard.
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
WyndII
In DX, its like hitcircles joined together. stack in horizantal way.?.
anonymous_old

WyndII wrote:

In DX, its like hitcircles joined together. stack in horizantal way.?.
Yeah, that's how I think of it. A series of hit circles following the curve, kinda like in DDR.
LuigiHann
While I wouldn't mind solid sliders, I think the DirectX version looks better than the OpenGL version. You could make the crescents a little bit less noticeable, but I wouldn't want them gone entirely, because they give the slider some texture, which is nice.
qlum
+1 for DX
Echo
I prefer without ie. OpenGL version
Derekku
I never minded how the DX ones looked, but because of my craptop, I've been having to play Open GL. At first I wasn't crazy about the "empty" sliders, but I've grown to like them. One day I tried using DX again, and I though the sliders were ugly XD

*votes Open GL*
Gens
I think the DX mode has become a classic for me, and I'm sure for most of the people here.

/me DX's the poll
mm201
Stick it in the skin.ini :P

I like the look of constant transparency sliders, actually (as in Ouendan), but the GL sliders look good, too. (They would look even better if they weren't aliased though. =/)

peppy: I think I've worked out all the kinks in the mesh slider algorithm, and I've had to learn .NET for my job. I'm still willing to lend a hand if that's to your liking.
CheeseWarlock
It would be kind of cool (but perhaps tough to implement) to allow some sort of skinning for slider tracks. But of the two current choices, I much prefer the textured DirectX.
anonymous_old

CheeseWarlock wrote:

It would be kind of cool (but perhaps tough to implement) to allow some sort of skinning for slider tracks. But of the two current choices, I much prefer the textured DirectX.
Yeah, I thought of this and support it.

(Did I post that before? =S)
mm201

CheeseWarlock wrote:

It would be kind of cool (but perhaps tough to implement) to allow some sort of skinning for slider tracks.
Mesh sliders. <3

Sharp turns make a naive algorithm do strange things. You need to determine whether the velocity vector of one side of the slider has the opposite sign from the velocity vector of the center (defining) bezier, then watch for this side to intersect itself and remove all vertices from the closed figure.
Topic Starter
Behon
Bump to keep this poll alive.
Kitsunemimi
darkmiz
I request adding a new slider style: fully transparent sliders, it will solve the problem when playing hidden with those notes hiding under sliders..
druidxd

darkmiz wrote:

I request adding a new slider style: fully transparent sliders, it will solve the problem when playing hidden with those notes hiding under sliders..
But that's the only way hidden is rather difficult (although it's not really THAT difficult), I mean, without those "hidden" notes, HD mod would be just almost the same as normal mode, except it gives plus 0,06% score.

Plus if you practice HD those hidden notes are played almost naturally, just by following the rhythm (except for some beatmaps when you don't even know wtf is happening).
darkmiz
Just make it skinnable then, transparent hitcircles are already pretty common, sliders should be skinnable too.
Saten
OpenGL sliders ftw
AKA Slider Style: 2

Edit: more info here t/51694
theowest

Saten wrote:

OpenGL sliders ftw
AKA Slider Style: 2
yep. Slider style 2 is what you'd want to use. Change it in your skin.ini

edit: whoever [invalid] this: this is a resolved feature request.
karma_komodo
the borders of the sliders in OpenGL in that photo are more opaque, this is no longer like that, but i think it would be cool to have another SliderStyles :D
Winshley
What a necro...