forum

Poll 12: How should we deal with cheaters?

posted
Total Posts

A cheater is found (100% certain). What do we do with them?

Permanent ban (no exceptions)
41.67%
Give a second chance (new account)
12.50%
Score reset, disable submission, but leave account access
45.83%
Total votes: 312
Polling ended
Topic Starter
peppy
Every time I ban a cheater, I get stuck in an email conversation where they either

a) lie and say they didn't cheat.
b) acknowledge they cheated but want a second chance.

I used to give second chances, but the rate of re-offense was so high I have stopped doing so. For what it's worth, I already have ideas on how to handle this, but I'd like to get your opinions as well. Keep in mind that in the case of permanent ban, it is hard to enforce as people can make multis.

Vote and discuss.
hillaryzx
Permanent ban should be enough for real cheaters....
Jarby
I voted for score reset, disable submission, but leave account access. Perhaps it would be wise to block account creation from their IP/MAC address in addition to that.
Bobo_old
Well I don't understand how they could say they didn't cheat, I mean how do you accidentally cheat??

-.-
Waryas
lol last option is actually good
Osu Tatakae Ouendan
here's the catch
if you do find a cheater in which case 100% sure he has cheated, it's usually nice to give a second chance, but it's a sure way to abuse such
if i say perma-ban, then multiaccounting would be their action. As for the third option I believe they'll just multi account again.
What's the use of cheating to get a high score if you can't show it to anyone?
I propose a 4th option of both Perma-ban and IP ban or something like that. Point is we have to find a way around the multiaccount loophole.

*EDIT: voted for permaban though, but we still need to find a way around the multiaccount problem
James2250
I used to think if they admit they cheated and apologized they should be given a second chance, but I wont even say that these days.

Cheating isn't a gray area, the person doing it obviously knows they are breaking the rules. If they choose to cheat and ruin the fun of everyone else playing, I see no reason to give them another chance or let them stay in the community . So voting for permanent ban.

Multi-accounts do add a very big problem but hopefully a more advanced system can be put in place in the future to counter that...(not saying I have any good ideas for that though)
Mara

Osu Tatakae Ouendan wrote:

both Perma-ban and IP ban or something like that
Won't work - proxy.

I voted perm ban, by the way. No mercy for sandrakers.
Soly
dNextGen

Soly wrote:

Permanent banana. No exceptions.
Jalatiphra
permanent ban, we cant do anything against re-registering anyway
XK2238
MAC ban is enough I think, people will have to buy a whole new PC to continue cheating, which is very fund-draining, and they won't be brave to cheat anymore. \o/

(Voted for permanent ban)
emonite
IP ban is too harsh,I don't like it whenever it may affect the others just because of one's action.I voted for permanent ban.

Jalatiphra wrote:

permanent ban, we cant do anything against re-registering anyway
Those who kept re-registering will surely get tired of it and stop because it is not worth their time.Seriously unless that guy is a NEET and have too much free time...
Bittersweet
I'd say permaban, but from what i saw, they -always- make a second acc (and keep doing the same thing). So it's better reset scores, imo.

But if you disable submission it will be the same as banning the acc - they'll make another.
Laharl

Bittersweet wrote:

I'd say permaban, but from what i saw, they -always- make a second acc (and keep doing the same thing). So it's better reset scores, imo.

But if you disable submission it will be the same as banning the acc - they'll make another.
Yeah. That was why I voted for resetting the score. I'm actually more for the permaban but I'm pretty sure it is useless.
Disease_old_1

Soly wrote:

Permanent banana. No exceptions.
Krzysiek
Voted "Score reset, disable submission, but leave account access".

While you can always multi-account, it looks different after permanent ban and disable account.
- after permaban it looks like cheater is so smart that he fooled protection system (e-pen gained, cheater be hatin' more)
- account disable can't be bypassed so new account looks like cheater can't beat developers he/she hates so much (no e-pen gained)

And disabled account data can be utilized in the future I guess (?).
Topic Starter
peppy
When I am talking "account access", I mean letting the user login to chat/forums. We still keep access to the account and have all relevant data, so it wouldn't change how easy it is to track people.
Jordan
Permaban =).
ztrot
Getting rid of the cheating account should be a given but then it is hard to track the user if you do give a 2nd chance.
I'd go with the 2nd choice but maybe instead wipe score and give them one more chance to play while submitting scores.
But for now I'd stick with giving a 2nd chance with a new account possibly link that there old account was such and such if possible?
Sinistro
Wipe their score and disable their submission, but let them keep the account. I am aware they can still create a new account and start from scratch just as if we banned them altogether, but on principle I'd prefer to punish the offense itself, rather than the offender.

That message (it's not you we don't like, it's what you did) will probably be lost on most cheaters though. Oh well.
Xau_old
i think people who cheated on secundary accounts should also have second chances..
Topic Starter
peppy
so allow all the multis and all the cheaters? :p
-Athena-

peppy wrote:

so allow all the multis and all the cheaters? :p
Works for me :p
/runs

On a more serious note I think perma-ban is the best option, it may not be foolproof but it shows that we actually care
Xau_old
lunah also cheated and made a multi account linked to the old one, why isn't this option available to everyone?
Bittersweet
Second chance. Thats your 453th account, asdasdasd654456
Kert
I was always thinking that preventing cheating is more important and useful than ways to ban them
Well, anyway. I voted for permaban
Xau_old

Bittersweet wrote:

im talking acount getting permanent banned for secundary account cheating. No second chances? second chances are only to main account cheaters right? that's so fair..
Hanyuu
Option 3:
Also all of their forum posts, their complete profile and all of the cheaters beatmaps are deleted. They should also be marked in both the user online list in game and their profile as a cheater so everyone will see it, and it should be so noticeable that you can not miss it. Also they should be silenced forever in any chat room and private messages. That is a very good punishment for cheaters, just let them be online and enjoy their shamefull existance and let them at least play without taking part in the community ever again in any way. This should also be applied for any other account they had before they got banned and also every new one they will create. And they should never again be able to post on the forums! Or make a subforum where only cheaters are allowed to post and let them cry with each other for the rest of their life
Bittersweet

asdasdasd654456 wrote:

Bittersweet wrote:

im talking acount getting permanent banned for secundary account cheating. No second chances? second chances are only to main account cheaters right? that's so fair..
Hm, i don't think so. I recall you getting banned and then getting back with your original account. That was your second chance. If you kept cheating after that you're just stupid and should get permabans in every acc.
Xau_old

Bittersweet wrote:

Hm, i don't think so. I recall you getting banned and then getting back with your original account. That was your second chance. If you kept cheating after that you're just stupid and should get permabans in every acc.
my first ban wasn't even fair.. some player called nautic started trolling around and then i got banned. i never got a second chance for cheating
show more