forum

TERA Online

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Drakari_old
CBT1 ends in about 3 hours. Who else played?
ElxBeta
I was thinking on pre-ordering it to play the betas and the pre-release 2 days before, but I was waiting to get some opinions.

Is it really THAT awesome?
Topic Starter
Drakari_old
Unless you've been looking forward to it a long time (Unlikely since you haven't pre-ordered already) I would recommend just waiting until after you get a chance to try. The Closed Beta will all be wiped, so you can use Open Beta to try it out, then pre-ordering will still get you the early access, and all that without needing to pay for something you aren't sure of.

Of course, I did try it due to IGN giving away free keys and now I wish that I wasn't a teenager with no income and a fairly low chance of owning a computer that could play the game after I go off to college...
thelewa
I hear that it's really easy to level up in this game

which is bad because that would mean that I would reach max level in like a week and then do something for a month and then get completely bored with the game

other than that I've been waiting for this game so much and I'm thinking of pre-ordering it
Gabi
Cleared everything in the beta, must say it was very fun. The boss battles are really hype and they last pretty long. Also the pvp is really fun, played some 10v10 deathmatches, was chaos at times lol. You can also declare war on other guilds ^_^

The leveling is kind of fast? maybe it gets a bit slower as you get to the harder quests, but i find it pretty nice. Most of the mmo's really start at the max level anyway :P
Hakeru
..is this p2p ?
thelewa
yep
Topic Starter
Drakari_old
They intentionally made the first 20 levels much easier than the rest of the game so that people could get used to the controls and skills before reaching anything hard. Considering that the beta had a level cap of 22, there was only a little hard content and that was hard enough for me.
FisHie_old
I made a review about this game not too long ago:

SPOILER
Loli loli loli loli loli loli loli.
Loli loli!!? Loli loli! Loli loli loli loli loli loli loli.
Loli loli loli.
Loli:
LOLI/LOLI
Jinxy

But it looks good. The manual aiming and attacking is something I really like, after trying that style in Dragon Nest.
Would definitely try it if it was F2P, but oh well
thelewa
if it was F2P it would suck, just saying
Gaba

FisHie wrote:

I made a review about this game not too long ago:

SPOILER
Loli loli loli loli loli loli loli.
Loli loli!!? Loli loli! Loli loli loli loli loli loli loli.
Loli loli loli.
Loli:
LOLI/LOLI
I was planing to play just cause of lolis.
Jinxy

ragelewa wrote:

I know :(

I just wonder what kind of net speeds I get from their servers. Signed up for a beta key, hopefully I can get one I guess

EDIT: haha disregard everything I'm IP blocked from NA apparently
Maybe I can get to try EU or something.
Two_old

ragelewa wrote:

I don't understand how free to play = suck.

I don't know if you know this, but free to play games are actually extremely profitable. And they don't even have to nickel and dime players in order to turn profit, that all depends on the game/how bad the companies are. Games don't turn free to play because they want to lose money, they go free to play because they realize they can make more money that way. An example of this is DC Universe. They went free to play and got a ton of new players and are making more money than before.

I really think the stigma comes from bad games that were designed with purely profit in mind. An excellent example of a game like this is Allods. That game was literally designed from the ground up to be about the cash shop. If you look at the front page at any given time, most of the news articles are about cash shop deals. Players feel compelled to spend money in order to play, because they do everything short of force you to. They want you to feel that way and don't care about the actual game.

Games like World of Warcraft and Everquest have taken almost an equally shady road and have double dipped, having both a cash shop and a subscription fee. I don't think this will last forever though, and I predict free to play -alone- will be the mainstream standard 10 years from now. The economics behind it really reminds me of why anti-piracy is dumb but that's another subject.

Basically, free to play can be great. It all depends on the people in charge.
Jinxy
It's not the profit of the game, it's the people who play them

f2p games have a lot more annoying/selfish people and/or people who can't read, especially in SEA servers.

p2p, imo, means less annoying people because they wouldn't pay for a game just to be a dick to
thelewa

Two wrote:

ragelewa wrote:

I don't understand how free to play = suck.

I don't know if you know this, but free to play games are actually extremely profitable. And they don't even have to nickel and dime players in order to turn profit, that all depends on the game/how bad the companies are. Games don't turn free to play because they want to lose money, they go free to play because they realize they can make more money that way. An example of this is DC Universe. They went free to play and got a ton of new players and are making more money than before.

I really think the stigma comes from bad games that were designed with purely profit in mind. An excellent example of a game like this is Allods. That game was literally designed from the ground up to be about the cash shop. If you look at the front page at any given time, most of the news articles are about cash shop deals. Players feel compelled to spend money in order to play, because they do everything short of force you to. They want you to feel that way and don't care about the actual game.

Games like World of Warcraft and Everquest have taken almost an equally shady road and have double dipped, having both a cash shop and a subscription fee. I don't think this will last forever though, and I predict free to play -alone- will be the mainstream standard 10 years from now. The economics behind it really reminds me of why anti-piracy is dumb but that's another subject.

Basically, free to play can be great. It all depends on the people in charge.
wordswordswords
Topic Starter
Drakari_old
Free to play isn't necessarily bad.

But...

A huge portion of the TERA fanbase is self-titled "Hardcore PvP players" who insist that any sort of cash shop will make the game terribly unbalanced and refuse to play such a game. They have many different opinions on just about every single other matter, but that's basically a universal sentiment among the people currently looking forward to TERA.
thelewa

Drakari wrote:

But...

A huge portion of the TERA fanbase are lolicons
fix'd
foulcoon

ragelewa wrote:

Drakari wrote:

But...

fix'd
lol and you're saying this after seeing the castanic female chars? and also whatever elf char has gigantic boobs?
Jinxy

foulcoon wrote:

ragelewa wrote:

But...

lol and you're saying this after seeing the castanic female chars? and also whatever elf char has gigantic boobs?
actually it's the race with the animal ears
thelewa

foulcoon wrote:

The what now?

those look horrible, kill them with fire
bmin11
Sadly enough, Ellyn is the majority race. This may differ depends on the country it runs on, but that's how it is in Korea and Japan has the most extreme ratio.
thelewa
Elin also has the worst racial skills ever. I bet nobody is going to play with Baraka, even though they have a 100% self heal.
Andrea
Bumping this.

Someone pre-ordered the game already? :3
Rantai
That's some funny timing, a friend showed me the beta just a few hours ago.

Made an Elin Mystic (Yes, yes, I know. Lolicon etc etc) and must say the battle system is quite fun, it seems to flow really nicely and movement actually plays a role for once, albeit the difficulty of the game is a little too easy (I only got to level 10 so I can't be a good judge of that).

Haven't tried the PvP but if it's any good I might have to try this out properly one day.
Jinxy
IP blocked herpderp
I tried using a proxy, but it's free so it's slow as hell. I had to switch it on and off between IP checks, but the game checks my IP so many times in different points that I just stopped trying.

Managed to make a Baraka Mystic before I stopped, lol
Gabi
y i've pre-ordered the game, PCC starts 26/4 and Headstart starts 28/4, while actual launch starts at 3/5. This game is so much fun when you're playing with other friends aswell, especially the PvP ^^
Jinxy
I was not informed that TERA EU was in OBT too, which means I only have one day - tomorrow to test it. :(

It doesn't block me, so that's a plus.
galvenize
Pre-ordered as well.

Made an Elin Mystic (Yes, yes, I know. Lolicon etc etc)
That would make 80% of a server's population lolicons.
foulcoon
totally playing this shit i guess.

posting server soon
kriers
pre-ordered collector's edition today!
Time for eliNNNNG
h3k1ru
will play on euro - Essenia (EN PVP) server
Andrea
As far as I can see people that will play on head start are: h3k1ru, Mafiamaster, Kite, Danzai, Lunatic Neko, osuplayer111, galvenize, Gabi, foulcoon, kriers.

If I'm missing someone please let me know =P

kriers
we should all form an osu! guild! Big Big Yeah! \o/
show more