forum

Counter-Strike: Global Offense

posted
Total Posts
show more
Drakari_old
Saw it being played at PAX... Looks almost exactly like the Counter Strike Source I illegally downloaded a year ago on a whim. A little better graphics, hopefully some better AI, but really just the same.

The only thing I liked was that it would be on all consoles capable of supporting decent FPS play and allow cross-platform games.
Azure_Kite
hmmm....... Looks pretty much to same to me.
Mianki
Yeah, it's more of a remake than a sequel. I also heard that PS3 and PC players can play against each other, but Xbox players are against each other.
ampzz
There's only a few problems I'll see with that allowance of cross-platform multi-player between PC to PS3.
  1. The allowed script changes for your configuration will be downsized.
  2. Modifications themselves may cease to exist, or just not be nearly as changeable.
  3. The usual FPS port issue that the majority of games within the recent years have suffered from, being that the PC version is just a console port.
  4. General update/support will be more functioned towards console users.
  5. Matchmaking, enough said.
  6. Downloadable content, such as maps which have always been free for CS:S will more than likely be additional costs.
Then again, this is just me nitpicking at tiny things that bugged me a lot when COD:WaW and MW2 came around and killed off my interest/hope that PC FPS gaming would still be a decent, advancing, competitive atmosphere.

The higher graphics quality is the only thing appealing with this, as CSS was slightly dated.

Besides that it seems like the same game, better graphics engine (which hopefully doesn't break the gameplay) and a stupid molotov addition.
Mara
But remember ampzz, it's Valve. They usually have free DLC.
Mashley
Well I've never played any version of Counter Strike, but I'll probably pick this up (depending on the price).
[Luanny]
i saw the trailer...
I CAN'T WAIT!!!
heintsi
Probably not buying at all, but if i do, i won't buy it before the price drops below 10 Dollars.
Loginer

ampzz wrote:

1. The usual FPS port issue that the majority of games within the recent years have suffered from, being that the PC version is just a console port.
Do you have any idea what the word "port" means? Just asking.
Drakari_old

Loginer wrote:

ampzz wrote:

1. The usual FPS port issue that the majority of games within the recent years have suffered from, being that the PC version is just a console port.
Do you have any idea what the word "port" means? Just asking.
A "port" is when a game is originally developed for use on one system, and then later it is changed to work with a different system. When used in a derogatory manner it indicates a feeling that the developers either should have upgraded something (Specifically when the port is released well after the original) or to indicate that they are ignoring the second system's capabilities and restrictions when moving it over, as in this case.
Mianki
Haseo_old

Copter-kun wrote:

dedust looks better than ever.
[Au]-[Revoir]
Even I can't play Counter Strike 1.5..

So this is fucking awesome game.. even I can't..
termerys
PC players vs console players in CS? Let's see...
MattCore
Looking forward to Global Strike Counter Offense :3!
Vish024
Still have condition zero but never play it. Still reminisce about the good old days having CS lan parties in programming and "research" classes. Might get this, seems decent.
Dafydd

termerys wrote:

Good point.
Sniper wars. *evil laugh*

@Topic:
It still looks like Counter Strike: Source to me. They should give it a BF3 like feeling. :D
Topic Starter
Copter-kun

Dafydd wrote:

termerys wrote:

Good point.
Sniper wars. *evil laugh*

@Topic:
It still looks like Counter Strike: Source to me. They should give it a BF3 like feeling. :D
Disregarding my first post, they aren't going to change anything. It was done on purpose to keep the counter-strike feeling. I mean if CS:GO had a BF3 like feeling, it won't be Counter strike anymore. (Except the Molotov)
Galkan
For me it looks like CS 1.6 + BF 3 graphics - dedicated servers*.
Valve again proves it's always hungry for money, huh?

* - remember the massive dissapointment after CoD:MW2 came out?
Octopus_old_1

Galkan wrote:

For me it looks like CS 1.6 + BF 3 graphics - dedicated servers*.
Valve again proves it's always hungry for money, huh?

* - remember the massive dissapointment after CoD:MW2 came out?
Not sure if you're saying Valve is "hungry for money" because CoD was a disappointment or because you didn't know Activision created all of the Call of Duty's. If you look at Valve as a whole I still don't see how they are greedy for money. For example Team Fortress 2 is a free to play game and it's one of Valves top games. Counter-strike is another game priced at $10.00 and it's even more popular than TF2. Valve produces quality games. Not to mention the other things Valve developed such as the Source SDK bases.

I don't understand why you think Valve is hungry for money because they are revamping an old school game that first came out in 2000 and CS source in 2004 (Unlike Activision who publishes a CoD every other year).

Back to what you were saying--do explain how "Valve again proves it's always hungry for money"
Galkan
Firstly do take notice what is star in my post reffering to, then make stupid comments
Oher thing - CS and quality game? Not really a funny joke, I've heard better ones. Now they're doing a graphics update, adding new weapons and voila! - here's the OMFG NEW AWEOMSE GAME, BUY IT NOW. Not mentioning the fact CS series have the lowest teamplay factor among all shooters I've ever played (Enemy Territory, anyone?). I'm surprised that anyone outside poor eastern Europe actually plays this thing.

Remember the holiday event? Surprisingly our cool company predicted that hordes of people will jump out of dosh to buy some games, but they somehow didn't predict they could run out of possible prizes (funny fact: running out of something distributed only digitally) making it looking like "just buy games and gtfo". And this info was officially released 2 days before event's end. Saying it's a bit unfair is not enough.
Their 1$ = 1€ policy isn't good for me, either. Especially when I'm not € user (what is their charge, by the way? I heard of 45%). Double especially when I can get boxxed game much cheaper than in their "awesome" e-shop - HEY LOOK I HAVE COOL FILES. Not ncluding the fact I receive this cute little "This game is currently not available in your region" message for some games. Pathetic.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=770231
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=2428973

The amount of negative feedback is incredible. No one likes overpricing (except Valve, obviously).
Mashley
Got in the beta last week, I'm enjoying it a lot. Anyone else been playing?
Mara
I'd like to try this as well. I didn't get in the beta unfortunately. Mashley, would I enjoy that game? (I have played 1.6, CZ, CSS, even the Xbox version)
Vish024
It's simply a slightly different version of source with a few changes. I'm still undecided as to getting it.
Mara
I heard the way guns work are more like 1.6 rather than Source.
Gabi
The game right now is terrible, the mechanics are very odd and it doesn't feel like CS/ CS:S at all. The graphics are pretty awesome, but like someone else in the thread says, it looks more like BF3.
Vish024
I was praying they wouldn't follow the "ZOMG AWESOME GRAPHICS BUT NOTHING ELSE" bandwagon that's invaded game development in recent years. I think I'll just revisit 1.6 occasionally.
Mashley

LunaticMara wrote:

I'd like to try this as well. I didn't get in the beta unfortunately. Mashley, would I enjoy that game? (I have played 1.6, CZ, CSS, even the Xbox version)
I guess? I can't speak for how it compares to other versions of CS, but I am enjoying it at lot.
foulcoon
EDIT: NVM

traded some stuff for an invite to the beta, yet to try it out because steams download servers suck today
Natteke
Bump. The release is soon. Some professional CS players have already tested it and the conclusion is: CS:GO isn't even remotely as awesome as CS 1.6.

After playing CS 1.6 for 6 years I still can't say I will give it up anytime soon and certainly not going to switch to CS:GO, but it's sad that 1.6 will not be played on any major tournaments pretty soon :(

Anyone of you have a mix they can play with? PM me if you do to play against me and my buddies. 5x5 ofc :D

Galkan wrote:

Not mentioning the fact CS series have the lowest teamplay factor among all shooters I've ever played (Enemy Territory, anyone?). I'm surprised that anyone outside poor eastern Europe actually plays this thing.
I have a feeling you've only played on public servers, huh? Obviously you don't need teamplay on public, but on mix / cups / lans teamplay is like 65% teamplay and 35% skill, where communication between your teammates is absulutely vital, and that's what made this game so popular and that's why it's still being played for over 10 years. It's much like chess where you have to think way ahead of your opponent and read the game carefully, the better tactic you have, the better your chances are. And no, it's not only eastern europe, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Ukraine, Denmark, Norway, Germany and Poland are the major players. It's pretty much dead in USA though, but in eurupe it's fully living and gathering tens of thousands of viewers on cup streams. Know your facts

Also, teamplay matters a lot:

Fabi
It is, in fact, pretty much alive in South America. A lot of non-steam servers with a very good connection (since they are paid). I have been playing from the start of 1.5 and then 1.6. CS is the classic of the classic. I still play it, but retired from mix/closed, and just pub. The time will tell if GO will be the replacement of CS 1.6.

EDIT: Screw with those shitty maps and mods aka surf, kz, zombie mode, etc.
jianzii
CS:GO looks too much like CoD for me to take it seriously :P
I really wish CS Promod went huge like I thought it would.
Mara

Natteke wrote:

Anyone of you have a mix they can play with? PM me if you do to play against me and my buddies. 5x5 ofc :D
I wish I could, but I don't have any mates to play with. :(

And it's been too many years since I played 1.6 last time.
IppE
Why is the thread title wrong? It's Offensive, not Offense.

:|
Icyteru
^Doesn't really matter though.

Had this game for a while now.

I've also been playing 1.6 for a long, long, long time...

Anyway, first thought:
Everything got an upgrade, visuals, everything.

But to be honest, I can't really tell what, but something, SOME ESSENCE of 1.6, is missing. AND I CAN'T TELL WHAT IT IS!!!
However, I like how they added in popular CS custom mods like Gungame, one of my favourites.

Next is war3 mods and stuff (100% custom though)
Accelerator-kun
I will surely buy it.
WVS
I still thinks 1.6 is better than this,
though.
KinomiCandy
Accelerator-kun

KinomiCandy wrote:

First... how?
Second... what's your steam skin?
KinomiCandy

Accelerator-kun wrote:

First... how?
SPOILER
I'm helping Valve by translating video games like Dota 2, CSS etc. and Steam at the translation server.
I obviously need to get the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Beta if I have to translate that game too
into my own language, which is Norwegian.
Second... what's your steam skin?
SPOILER
Minimal Steam UI by TTK-Bandit.
show more