forum

[Cosmetic/Profile] Rating-based Level [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
vytalibus
In Newgrounds, there is a part of the profile where the "aura" of an account is determined by how low/high s/he gives ratings to submissions (Dark being a low-mark giver, and Light for vice-versa). That usually hint about the rating s/he usually gives out.

I would like to see if that also works on osu!, since we have the rating on beatmaps and all. Since the database can now track individual voting, maybe it can accumulate the rating distribution of the player and add it to his/her profile.

Whadya think?
anonymous_old
I somewhat agree. I am usually very critical when rating maps, and may rate a good map a 4 or something. However, I may rate something an 8 purely because I like the song and the map isn't too bad. So adjusting my actual votes to 'real' votes wouldn't work too well (not what you're asking, but it's what I thought of when you wrote your question).

Basically, ratings are to give you a general idea of how good or bad a map is. If you decide to only vote on bad maps, good for you. Ratings are for the community, not the user (similar to feature requests =]).

So, yeah, I don't like this. =S

</scatter-brain>
Mashley

strager wrote:

I somewhat agree. I am usually very critical when rating maps, and may rate a good map a 4 or something. However, I may rate something an 8 purely because I like the song and the map isn't too bad. So adjusting my actual votes to 'real' votes wouldn't work too well (not what you're asking, but it's what I thought of when you wrote your question).

Basically, ratings are to give you a general idea of how good or bad a map is. If you decide to only vote on bad maps, good for you. Ratings are for the community, not the user (similar to feature requests =]).

So, yeah, I don't like this. =S
What.

This is a good idea. We can finally find out who it is that gives 1 stars for no reason (and hopefully stop them).
Gemi
I just don't think this is a good idea, it just doesn't feel good. No further explanation this time since I don't actually have one.
peppy

Agent Spin Here wrote:

What.
This is a good idea. We can finally find out who it is that gives 1 stars for no reason (and hopefully stop them).
Stop them for what? It is their right to rate your song 1 if they wish :|.
Ekaru
Stop them solely so we feel better, duh. It's the internet; everyone else is obviously just a bunch of pixels, and their opinion doesn't matter.

But seriously, wouldn't this feature request end up with some people voting high just because of peer pressure? <_<; All you can do about the random 1s is deal with it, which is what you should do. I think this would just create a bunch of drama. Like we don't have enough already....
Topic Starter
vytalibus

Ekaru wrote:

But seriously, wouldn't this feature request end up with some people voting high just because of peer pressure? <_<; All you can do about the random 1s is deal with it, which is what you should do. I think this would just create a bunch of drama. Like we don't have enough already....
Of course not. This feature will only show the nature of the player when voting on maps. If they vote lower than the average rating of the map, then they get closer to the "Dark" aura, and vice-versa for voting higher. If the player really indeed votes truly and justifies his own votes, then there's no pressure involved.

I would also like to inform everyone that I did not request this feature specifically to resolve the players who constantly vote 1. This feature has nothing to do with that situation.
Gemi
What useful information does this convey from the user? Really, what? Seems like jsut another wat to discriminate over a bunch of people if they vote better or worse than others. People vote in different ways, for example I only map on super great maps or super crappy maps. Also this is heavily unbalanced towards "dark", because even the crappiest songs have a voting average of 6+, while I certainly vote for a 1-3 for an ultra crappy map, where as a great map might have an average of 8 when I vote a 10.

Also, if you check the difference of your vote to the average of the votes at the moment of your votes, this might cause weird situations with new maps where you actually vote quite high/low and due to you being amongst the first voters then your vote might be seen in a different way as the vote average hasn't settled yet. To fight this problem all of the voters' votes should be compared to the new average every time when a new vote is given, causing a looooot of operations to be done every time someone votes = peppy will definitely not implement it that way.
Gabi
i kind of disagree with this. this will just make the players/trolls vote either 10 or 1.... its already been said

i agree with ekaru and gemi
Jarby

Gabi wrote:

i kind of disagree with this. this will just make the players/trolls vote either 10 or 1.... its already been said

i agree with ekaru and gemi
Exactly. Some people would rate random maps low just to get a 'cooler' image.
awp
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
FurukawaPan
bad idea.

Too many people who aren't necessarily bad raters per se, but use the system in different ways that might skew their color.

Scenario A: User who always 8's everything and doesn't really give a damn. (Apparently bright color)
Scenario B: User who never rates at all, unless stumbling upon a terribad map which gets a 1 (Apparently dark color)
Scenario C: Decent rater starts to rate everything a 1 just so people will leave them alone and not keep pestering for mod requests.

The likelihood of people gaming their color up or down is very high, the actual usefulness of this feature is dubious.

Support -1
LuigiHann
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
qlum
i rate almost everything except when I forget to rate my scores are :
10 the ultimate map (never found it)
9 superb map
8 really good map
7 good map
6 average map
5 mostly boring maps
4 crap
3 very shitty
2 awful
1 the ultimate pies of shit the worst of the worst no map will ever be ranked that is so shitty it could only be ranked by mistake or by some troll bat or hacker
Gens
^
lol@1

I don't like this idea. :/
Derekku
Internet. Serious business.

The idea sounds nice, but I also disagree. It just seems pointless :?