forum

Western Animation/Live Action/Movies/Art subforum

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
DerekMcD
EDIT 3/4/2012: I had changed the title.

That's what the name says.

We already have Otaku Culture for anime and manga, and for this time, we need couple of new subforum where we discuss about Western animation, comics, music, movies, live-action TV, news, sports, arts, and etc and it should be under the "Other" section of this Forums. That could be better if they have plans to add this as a new forum topic. But it needs to be added someday.

If y'all think it's a great thing to have in forums, support or vote if y'all like.

Thank you and good luck.
VelperK
no
Topic Starter
DerekMcD

VelperK wrote:

no
But where can we discuss about cartoons, movies, and etc though?
adam2046
It's called General Discussion.
Haseo_old
I actually think this is a good idea, but it's better off as a "Western Culture" thread. GD is way too general.
Topic Starter
DerekMcD

Haseo wrote:

I actually think this is a good idea, but it's better off as a "Western Culture" thread. GD is way too general.
Great name.:) Western Culture will be a place for Western animation, comics, and live action TV.
Shohei Ohtani
Who the hell discusses Western things anyway. Like, I very rarely see discussions and stuff, and a good demographic is all "omg animu so moe >w<~", so I don't see how it's neccesary~.
James2250
Yeah I have to disagree with this idea. The only reason we have the 'Otaku Culture' section is because 85%+ of the osu! community is highly interested in manga/anime etc.

If we made a western animation type section it would be basically empty and I just see it turning into another Off Topic with random posts. If you find something that is really interesting and you think the rest of the community would want to be involved in it, General Discussion should be fine.

Wont deny this quite yet just to see if anyone else has any opinions on it, but I don't see it happening.
Topic Starter
DerekMcD

James2250 wrote:

Yeah I have to disagree with this idea. The only reason we have the 'Otaku Culture' section is because 85%+ of the osu! community is highly interested in manga/anime etc.

If we made a western animation type section it would be basically empty and I just see it turning into another Off Topic with random posts. If you find something that is really interesting and you think the rest of the community would want to be involved in it, General Discussion should be fine.

Wont deny this quite yet just to see if anyone else has any opinions on it, but I don't see it happening.
As you see, Osu! was pretty successful in the world with currently around 5,000 people online and for anime, Japanese culture, and manga. These people sometimes have their own taste in movies, live-actions, comics, and Western animation. Come on, we wouldn't want flood the "General Discussion" section with many threads posted, we want to give it some "space" someday though. "General Discussion" is nothing good normal talk and stuff on what's going on.

Just look at the ranked beatmaps that has Western animation and MLP: FiM (a few). They do have their own taste of making beatmaps with songs from it though.

Like the "Video Games" section, it's more popular than "Otaku Culture" and we probably.

I hope this won't be denied, but it has to be there...
ampzz
Otaku Culture is a generalised thread for anything to do with 'cartoons' or 'comics' as it isn't just denoted to Japanese cultural value only. Sure that +99% of it is based on the Japanese side of things but that does not mean it is only limited to that.
If people like the threads or themes of the topics they will discuss it in there, if not it becomes like a varied amount of them ad just gets forgotten.

For the other parts you're talking about there's the General Discussion and Off-Topic areas for that, same viewpoint as above.

As with other forums on the internet, it is a case of hit or miss with the chance of anything partially intelligible coming to light in posts or not.
You just have to try and hope.

Having more sub-forums creates overcrowded area on the index page which is a pain to deal with.
From a forum moderator side of things as it is yet another place they have to go through to ensure nothing is out of hand or breaching the rules.
Topic Starter
DerekMcD

ampzz wrote:

Otaku Culture is a generalised thread for anything to do with 'cartoons' or 'comics' as it isn't just denoted to Japanese cultural value only. Sure that +99% of it is based on the Japanese side of things but that does not mean it is only limited to that.
If people like the threads or themes of the topics they will discuss it in there, if not it becomes like a varied amount of them ad just gets forgotten.

For the other parts you're talking about there's the General Discussion and Off-Topic areas for that, same viewpoint as above.

As with other forums on the internet, it is a case of hit or miss with the chance of anything partially intelligible coming to light in posts or not.
You just have to try and hope.

Having more sub-forums creates overcrowded area on the index page which is a pain to deal with.
From a forum moderator side of things as it is yet another place they have to go through to ensure nothing is out of hand or breaching the rules.
Live-action TV, Western films, and westernized cartoons/comics has nothing to do with Otaku Culture. It has to do with additional group. I would be make few new threads if they have choice to add it on this forums. I could add "My Little Pony", 'Thundercats", and "Nickelodeon/TV networks" threads.

It's understandable what you said, but we still gotta our opinions about this though.
Topic Starter
DerekMcD
Now that's what I meant.

loli66
well, i mean the main reason for adding other subforum is the users talk about of "western culture" in the forums, if this not happen the subforum probably dont will be added
dkun
You know, being Asian and being born in America.. I think this would be a good addition to the forums. If the Otakus get a chance, why not the Westerners? But as James said, 85% of the community is highly interested in Otaku Culture, but what about the other 15%? Give it a go.
:P
LuigiHann
I probably wouldn't bother calling it "Western Culture." I might just call it "Pop Culture" and have it deal with any music, movies, and TV that doesn't fit into the Otaku one. Similar concept but a bit more inclusive.
adam2046

LuigiHann wrote:

I probably wouldn't bother calling it "Western Culture." I might just call it "Pop Culture" and have it deal with any music, movies, and TV that doesn't fit into the Otaku one. Similar concept but a bit more inclusive.
Similar to the requests in this thread viewtopic.php?p=839642
rust45
IIRC the reason the Otaku forum was even added was because people we're getting tired of all the Otaku topics in GD and Off-Topic. There's no sort of problem like that with Western Culture based discussion, so I don't see a need for it.

Also, I don't see the reason why we need so many sub-forums. It's just going to split up the activity of areas and probably eventually make GD a wasteland excluding the post pictures of blank topics.
palion

kokoroanime wrote:

That's what the name says.

We already have Otaku Culture for anime and manga, and for this time, we need couple of new forum section where we discuss about Western animation, comics, music, movies, live-action TV, news, sports, arts, and etc and it should be under the "Other" section of this Forums. That could be better if they have plans to add this as a new forum topic. But it needs to be added someday.

If y'all think it's a great thing to have in forums, support or vote if y'all like.

Thank you and good luck.
very convincing from someone with 'anime' in their name =\ (along with an obviously anime avatar ^_^)
GladiOol
well kokoroanime, then we can have a tea party together in Western Culture because nobody else will come there anyways /o/

Voted: NO
Louis Cyphre
Yes

Because i do like movies of different genres, and there is not place where i can discuss it : (
Weez
I want a fourm about breakfast!!! But we can't all have what we want.
Topic Starter
DerekMcD

Weezy wrote:

I want a fourm about breakfast!!! But we can't all have what we want.
The Breakfast Club!!!
Soly
rust45

Louis Cyphre wrote:

Yes

Because i do like movies of different genres, and there is not place where i can discuss it : (
There is, General Discussion.
Copter-kun

GladiOol wrote:

well kokoroanime, then we can have a tea party together in Western Culture because nobody else will come there anyways /o/
EXACTLY.
Topic Starter
DerekMcD

rust45 wrote:

Louis Cyphre wrote:

Yes

There is, General Discussion.
Forget the General Discussion, we need space to put in.
NotShinta

Soly wrote:

Western shit is tainted. Disagree.
What makes works from Japan and other Eastern countries magically better than anything from the West? Dismissing anything from a more familiar place for being "tainted" is just ignorance, and there can be great minds and flaws on both sides, needless to say.

That said, there's obviously less of an audience for these things on osu!, and as much as I'd like to see it, it'd be a bit depressing and quiet. I don't know, but why not?
Soly
silmarilen
i dont think it would hurt to add a sub-forum about it, its not like its gonna cause tons of spam everywhere or make all other forums empty.
if it isnt so active, so what? even if there are like 5 posts per day there are still 5 posts. i dont think it would cause a huge load on the server anyway.
Topic Starter
DerekMcD
I changed the title, so y'all can get a better understanding.

I know we have the General Discussion sub forum but there was nothing way we can discuss about our own arts, live action, and movies.

These could be a interesting subforum. If they plan to make one, we'll work together to create the rules for it.