forum

Tick rate 0.x

posted
Total Posts
show more
D33d
Tick rate 0.5 is pointless. It negates the point of having sliders, especially when 0.5 maps tend to use tiny sliders in the least imaginative fashion. If there are a lot of 0.5 maps with long sliders, then their mappers are morons. For Christ's sake, the tick rate should at least follow the beat. The ticks are there so that the slider can encompass more rhythmic elements and actually give the player a reason to follow the slider.

Also, I believe that ticks are helpful for determining slider velocity. Whether or not it's noticed consciously, a distance change between ticks is an obvious indicator that the slider velocity has changed.
mm201
In situations where ticks are too fast for the music, your BPM is double what it should be, so divide it by 2. Tick 1 not lining up with the music is a paradox.
In situations where you want no ticks at all, what you're looking for is tick 0, not 0.5. 0.5 is a workaround because there is no tick 0, and when a slider is longer than a 2/1, there's a really ugly, out-of-place tick I'm sure all you tick 0.5 users would rather do without. For tick 0 to work, the gameplay mechanics would need to be adjusted so that leaving sliders would break your combo. This deviates too much from the Ouendan formula, and leads to two different styles of gameplay which have no reason to be different.

1/1 and 1/2 sliders are so short that leaving them and coming back is impractical and involves MORE WORK than following them normally. This isn't the case for a 2/1 slider. It's already close to impossible to make a 1/1 or 1/2 slider have more than a basic line or slight curve/wave for its shape, all of which can be played by making a line.

Tick 2, or even 1, is enough to counter the HP drain, allowing your HP to rise slightly, rather than lower, during sliders. This creates a dichotomy where your HP rises slightly when hitting a slider correctly, but falls significantly when you're not. This is missing on long, tickless sliders. Again, a 1/1 or 1/2 slider would be too short for this to matter.

pieguy1372 wrote:

We already know when reading speed changes, hardly anyone uses ticks
According to NatsumeRin's troll poll, 58% of players read ticks at least sometimes. This is in spite of the extremely skewed phrasing of the poll and options. I also believe you're grossly overestimating how disruptive tick rate 1 is. (It's not.)

Reading ticks is quite irrelevant unless you're doing a bad job using speed changes. Using them well makes tick reading unnecessary. Using them poorly will force players either to memorize the speed changes or read the ticks. So basically, tick reading is only a factor if the map has bad speed changes anyway.

pieguy1372 wrote:

No offense but it seems like this was removed based on your own personal opinions.
He wrote the game. He could take it off the internet completely based on his personal opinions. People seem to forget that.
peppy added tick rate 2 because, back in the day, the BPM needed to be doubled to create 2x sections. This led to the equivalent of tick rate 2 being used in speedup sections. Tick 0.5 was to remedy this.
Natteke
I think there must be a "No tick" option. Yeah, why not?
That awkward moment when you add a slow slider and it all goes smooth until that whild ugly TICK sound appears. You can't silence it completely because of 5% minimum hitsound volume. You can't replace it with a blank file either. Shit. I never really look at ticks when playing so I don't see how this can help me read the speed changes. It's not like there's enough time for that anyway since most time you're just sightreading it.
NatsumeRin

mm201 wrote:

pieguy1372 wrote:

We already know when reading speed changes, hardly anyone uses ticks
According to NatsumeRin's troll poll, 58% of players read ticks at least sometimes. This is in spite of the extremely skewed phrasing of the poll and options. I also believe you're grossly overestimating how disruptive tick rate 1 is. (It's not.)

what's the point to describe it like "more than a half players really use ticks".
Topic Starter
pieguyn
In situations where ticks are too fast for the music, your BPM is double what it should be, so divide it by 2. Tick 1 not lining up with the music is a paradox.
So, the music can't have any pauses at all, or not even a general "slow" feeling? This principle is entirely a case-by-case basis and you can't apply it to all songs and maps.

In situations where you want no ticks at all, what you're looking for is tick 0, not 0.5. 0.5 is a workaround because there is no tick 0, and when a slider is longer than a 2/1, there's a really ugly, out-of-place tick I'm sure all you tick 0.5 users would rather do without. For tick 0 to work, the gameplay mechanics would need to be adjusted so that leaving sliders would break your combo. This deviates too much from the Ouendan formula, and leads to two different styles of gameplay which have no reason to be different.
Perhaps it could be so that your HP drain goes down a lot faster if you don't hold the slider (but only with tick rate 0), so it would be like missing

This isn't the case for a 2/1 slider
For me at least it's easier to hold a 2/1 slider than to hit twice.

I also believe you're grossly overestimating how disruptive tick rate 1 is. (It's not.)
so what, you're saying that having a tick is never out of place, ever? There are many cases where tick rate 1 is indeed disruptive and/or puts a tick where one doesn't fit... You just can't say that in all 100% of cases, tick rate 1 will work.

According to NatsumeRin's troll poll, 58% of players read ticks at least sometimes.
Take away the "seldom" category and it's 27%, and I think especially after the next point we can agree that those cases are when speed changes aren't used right...

Reading ticks is quite irrelevant unless you're doing a bad job using speed changes. Using them well makes tick reading unnecessary. Using them poorly will force players either to memorize the speed changes or read the ticks. So basically, tick reading is only a factor if the map has bad speed changes anyway.
the modding system should catch these cases so they don't exist, then. I agree that people should never need to use ticks to read speed changes though.

peppy added tick rate 2 because, back in the day, the BPM needed to be doubled to create 2x sections. This led to the equivalent of tick rate 2 being used in speedup sections. Tick 0.5 was to remedy this.
So tick rate 2 was added for that purpose also, and look how widespread it is now. If we remove tick rate 0.5 purely because it's a workaround that is now obsolete, we might as well do the same for tick rate 2. Tick rate 2 might be used a lot, but I claim that 0.5 also has uses, and thus isn't "just" a workaround.
NotShinta
Can you start providing examples of where you think 0.5 works, and why? I'm sure you have some good points, but they seem to be often based on existing maps (some parts, many cases, etc.), and dropping some names might help. I can see why you would think tick rate 2 might be a bit excessive, but I'm sure that tick 1 will almost always sound better than 0.5, since it is essentially putting a sound where the metronome would be, which is indicative of the timing.

Also, if you find ticks ugly, you're either using an atrocious skin or are scared of tiny circles, and in the latter case, playing osu! isn't a good idea. The default skin's is harmless if the ticks are consistent enough.
Alace

NotShinta wrote:

Can you start providing examples of where you think 0.5 works, and why?
can you read my post by few months ago in the tick rate thread XD

EDIT:i think this thread is pointless, because the coders already decide to remove tick 0.5 (even we already showed some samples)
so just let it go and focus on other questionable issues
yongtw123

NotShinta wrote:

Can you start providing examples of where you think 0.5 works, and why? I'm sure you have some good points, but they seem to be often based on existing maps (some parts, many cases, etc.), and dropping some names might help. I can see why you would think tick rate 2 might be a bit excessive, but I'm sure that tick 1 will almost always sound better than 0.5, since it is essentially putting a sound where the metronome would be, which is indicative of the timing.

Also, if you find ticks ugly, you're either using an atrocious skin or are scared of tiny circles, and in the latter case, playing osu! isn't a good idea. The default skin's is harmless if the ticks are consistent enough.
It really depends on the song. I won't bother go finding examples because I know there must exist songs that contains sections which the strong beats of instrument (or vocal) do not land on the metronome.

OK, there are two workarounds here:
1. use slider but with no ticks (similar to Natteke said, a tick sound will just sound awkward in some occasion, and you can't deny that)
2. use circles instead

The reason why slider is preferred can be due to several reasons.
For example attempting to make an easier difficulty by replacing harder rhythm with slider.

Answering D33d, a slider can mean much more to a mapper because it creates a "holding" sensation. For slow maps, yes, mapper can increase tick rate so that the player is forced to follow the slider. But for harder maps where etna sliders are abundant (perhaps also high BPM), the point of having sliders isn't really "follow the slider" but rather "swipe" the slider.
mm201

pieguy1372 wrote:

Perhaps it could be so that your HP drain goes down a lot faster if you don't hold the slider (but only with tick rate 0), so it would be like missing
How is this different from silenced ticks? (Which I approve of)

pieguy1372 wrote:

For me at least it's easier to hold a 2/1 slider than to hit twice.
Now that depends on the shape. Consider this:

With tick 0.5, you can just casually move your cursor from one cap to the other rather than going in a circle. What's the point of using a slider like this on a tick 0.5 map?

pieguy1372 wrote:

so what, you're saying that having a tick is never out of place, ever? There are many cases where tick rate 1 is indeed disruptive and/or puts a tick where one doesn't fit... You just can't say that in all 100% of cases, tick rate 1 will work.
Yes I can. Read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_%28music%29
If the music has a beat, it makes sense for a tick to land on it.

pieguy1372 wrote:

Take away the "seldom" category and it's 27%, and I think especially after the next point we can agree that those cases are when speed changes aren't used right...
The seldom category is important because it's representative of what actually makes sense. I would place myself in the seldom category. In a perfect world, ticks are read seldomly because the map offers enough other cues to make them irrelevant.

pieguy1372 wrote:

the modding system should catch these cases so they don't exist, then. I agree that people should never need to use ticks to read speed changes though.
This is exactly why I wrote those 3 rules limiting how speed changes can be used. I wrote them before tick 0.5 was banned in the hopes of targeting specifically unreadable sliders, which appear very frequently in tick 0.5 maps for some reason.

So tick rate 2 was added for that purpose also, and look how widespread it is now. If we remove tick rate 0.5 purely because it's a workaround that is now obsolete, we might as well do the same for tick rate 2. Tick rate 2 might be used a lot, but I claim that 0.5 also has uses, and thus isn't "just" a workaround.
No it wasn't. Tick rate 2 was added based on how sliders are used in Ouendan, which is the reference for this game's design. In Ouendan, ticks are timed according to the fastest consistent rhythm found in the music--that is, the highest possible setting which doesn't clash. This provides the most accurate judgement of sliders and carries the rhythm.

Alace wrote:

can you read my post by few months ago in the tick rate thread XD
Do you really want me to go through that post and find reasons for every map why tick 0.5 is incorrect? That would take hours.
Normally, it breaks down to one of a few reasons:
1. The mapper doesn't like the tick sound. Find a different one or make them silent. If you hate the sound in any map, you probably don't like this part of the Ouendan formula. Consider using a custom skin.
2. The mapper doesn't like the tick sound for this music. Same solution.
3. The music has lots of offbeats and syncopation. If this is the case, tick 2 is probably a better choice. If tick 2 clashes with the rhythms, try placing sliders more carefully, or otherwise learn to accept syncoticks. They're not so bad and can sound cute.
4. The map has some very long sliders which begin on offbeats. This tends to flow poorly anyway. Try beginning the slider on the following downbeat and placing a circle on that offbeat.

yongtw123 wrote:

etna sliders
Etna sliders are identical whether the tick rate is 0.5, 1, or 2. Lowering the tick rate because most of your sliders are 1/2 anyway is a bad reason, and only adds inconsistency when a >1/2 or >1/1 slider does appear.

Having 1/1 sliders without ticks can disrupt the flow in an otherwise 1/2 heavy map.
Natteke
So are we allowed to add blank wav files to silence ticks?
mm201
I support it, but more opinions are needed. I will start a thread for this.

Edit: Forget the thread. The current draft of NewRules already allows this.
The end of a spinner (or even the entire spinner) the sliding sound of a slider, and the end of a slider can be silent, but only do it if it makes sense. Finally, you cannot silence both slider ticks and slider slides together.
Natteke
Nice, then I have no objections.
Sakura
Enphasis on "make sense" for isntance i once was making a mapset in which i required the use of 3/4 triplets, since the music holds and enphasizes those 3/4 triplets a slider would work out nicely, however, since for the most part the most constant instrument was going at 1/2 rythm i was using slider tick rate 2, and the 3/4 sliders had a repeat for the triplet, so it would create a tick very close to the repeat as soon as it reached 1/2, to counter this i silenced ONLY those ticks on those sliders so it wouldn't sound awkward.

So yes i do agree with silencing sliderticks as long as they make sense with the song, if they indeed do clash with the way the slider in question is mapped.
mm201
3/4 sliders usually sound okay with tick 2, seeing as the ticks all line up to the 1/2 beat, just as if it were a 3/2 slider.
2/3 sliders are where this comes in handy.
yongtw123

mm201 wrote:

3/4 sliders usually sound okay with tick 2, seeing as the ticks all line up to the 1/2 beat, just as if it were a 3/2 slider.
2/3 sliders are where this comes in handy.
Sounds like whenever these particular rhythms are encountered in the future there is always a formula for mapping them.
Topic Starter
pieguyn
How is this different from silenced ticks? (Which I approve of)
I thought silenced ticks were unrankable...

Yes I can. Read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_%28music%29
If the music has a beat, it makes sense for a tick to land on it.
>.< Not really, what if there's no emphasis on a certain "beat", but you still need a hold feeling? In that case a tick would be way out of place.

The seldom category is important because it's representative of what actually makes sense. I would place myself in the seldom category. In a perfect world, ticks are read seldomly because the map offers enough other cues to make them irrelevant.
No, in a perfect world, every speed change is read with no regard to ticks because the speed change fits the song well, so ticks would never need to be used.

This is exactly why I wrote those 3 rules limiting how speed changes can be used. I wrote them before tick 0.5 was banned in the hopes of targeting specifically unreadable sliders, which appear very frequently in tick 0.5 maps for some reason.
The problem with your rules is that they were way too strict and prevented too much, especially cases where the only cues were the feeling of the song and map (which is what speed changes should always fit, IMO at least). It seems you and others on staff consider those cases "unreadable", when actually they are very readable and play really well.

No it wasn't. Tick rate 2 was added based on how sliders are used in Ouendan, which is the reference for this game's design. In Ouendan, ticks are timed according to the fastest consistent rhythm found in the music--that is, the highest possible setting which doesn't clash. This provides the most accurate judgement of sliders and carries the rhythm.
Oh. Now that you mention it, I claim that some songs do not even carry a 1/1 rhythm at some points, hence why tick rate 0.5 would work in those parts even by your definition. Saying that a song has something at every 1/1 tick, or 1/2 tick, is a very strong statement to make.

3. The music has lots of offbeats and syncopation. If this is the case, tick 2 is probably a better choice. If tick 2 clashes with the rhythms, try placing sliders more carefully, or otherwise learn to accept syncoticks. They're not so bad and can sound cute.
If a tick clashes with the rhythm, it shouldn't be there. Also, the last sentence is the opposite of your 1 and 2, or someone liking the tick sound, so shouldn't that be banned under your reasoning?

4. The map has some very long sliders which begin on offbeats. This tends to flow poorly anyway. Try beginning the slider on the following downbeat and placing a circle on that offbeat.
What if the song has that rhythm? I have a map myself where this is the case and tick rate 0.5 sounded better than anything.
mm201

pieguy1372 wrote:

>.< Not really, what if there's no emphasis on a certain "beat", but you still need a hold feeling? In that case a tick would be way out of place.
That means there's no rhythm, so that moment is unmappable. Consider using a spinner, a break, or just a pause with the object placement.

pieguy1372 wrote:

No, in a perfect world, every speed change is read with no regard to ticks because the speed change fits the song well, so ticks would never need to be used.
That's basically what I said, only I'm more open to the possibility of patterns which aren't necessarily readable given the music, but still make sense in retrospect. These situations depend on tick reading or memorization, but shouldn't necessarily be outright banned.

pieguy1372 wrote:

The problem with your rules is that they were way too strict and prevented too much, especially cases where the only cues were the feeling of the song and map (which is what speed changes should always fit, IMO at least). It seems you and others on staff consider those cases "unreadable", when actually they are very readable and play really well.
If you'll read them carefully, they don't really ban much of anything. One of the options is if it follows a change in the musical texture, which includes everything of what you said.

pieguy1372 wrote:

Oh. Now that you mention it, I claim that some songs do not even carry a 1/1 rhythm at some points, hence why tick rate 0.5 would work in those parts even by your definition. Saying that a song has something at every 1/1 tick, or 1/2 tick, is a very strong statement to make.
Stating a song has a steady 1/2 rhythm is a bold statement to make. Some songs divide into thirds, others don't divide at all. Stating that a song has a steady 1/1 rhythm is a basic concept of music theory. If your song doesn't have a 1/1 rhythm to it, but only a 2/1 rhythm (which corresponds to tick 0.5) then your BPM is double what it should be. Divide your BPM by two, double your slider speed, and enjoy your "tick 0.5" that way.

pieguy1372 wrote:

If a tick clashes with the rhythm, it shouldn't be there. Also, the last sentence is the opposite of your 1 and 2, or someone liking the tick sound, so shouldn't that be banned under your reasoning?
Most if not all songs have exceptions. What matters is that the 1/2 rhythm is stable.

Edit: I think you misunderstood. Allow me to rephrase that one:
If tick 2 clashes, so you opt for tick 1, you may experience "syncoticks" on sliders that begin on 1/2s. This is usually a sign that tick 2 is correct, but if it isn't, try to place objects more carefully. Tick 0.5 has syncoticks too! It even has them with sliders beginning on 1/1 offbeats, which almost always sounds awful. See my screenshot below.

pieguy1372 wrote:

What if the song has that rhythm? I have a map myself where this is the case and tick rate 0.5 sounded better than anything.

I don't see how this is preferable.
Please link me that map and I will look into a better solution.
Topic Starter
pieguyn
That means there's no rhythm, so that moment is unmappable. Consider using a spinner, a break, or just a pause with the object placement.
Stating a song has a steady 1/2 rhythm is a bold statement to make. Some songs divide into thirds, others don't divide at all. Stating that a song has a steady 1/1 rhythm is a basic concept of music theory. If your song doesn't have a 1/1 rhythm to it, but only a 2/1 rhythm (which corresponds to tick 0.5) then your BPM is double what it should be. Divide your BPM by two, double your slider speed, and enjoy your "tick 0.5" that way.
I'm not sure exactly what songs you're considering, but there is a whole gray area in between having a lot of emphasis on a beat and having nothing there. Having no emphasis on a beat doesn't mean there's nothing there, there might be a slow vocal there, a sound coming from 1/1 or 1/2 before with no added emphasis, just a really slow, weak sound, or many other things. Tick rate 1 is too busy for those, but those parts would be mappable. Plus, having no emphasis on a beat doesn't mean that the rest of the song doesn't follow a 1/1, it means that one part in the song doesn't, so the faster BPM is still the right BPM.

Also, for easier diffs, as NatsumeRin said, tick rate 1 would sound too busy even if the song follows a 1/1.

That's basically what I said, only I'm more open to the possibility of patterns which aren't necessarily readable given the music, but still make sense in retrospect. These situations depend on tick reading or memorization, but shouldn't necessarily be outright banned.
It's not good practice IMO to force ticks just to "ensure" that everything is readable. Just because some maps would need ticks for speed changes doesn't mean that they should be forced on all the other maps, especially when it doesn't fit :?

Most if not all songs have exceptions. What matters is that the 1/2 rhythm is stable.

Edit: I think you misunderstood. Allow me to rephrase that one:
If tick 2 clashes, so you opt for tick 1, you may experience "syncoticks" on sliders that begin on 1/2s. This is usually a sign that tick 2 is correct, but if it isn't, try to place objects more carefully. Tick 0.5 has syncoticks too! It even has them with sliders beginning on 1/1 offbeats, which almost always sounds awful. See my screenshot below.
if tick 2 clashes, it sounds really bad because it's too busy and has ticks that fit to nothing. If tick 1 is used with a 3/2 slider and the tick it puts is out of place, then this is one case I mentioned where tick rate 0.5 sounds way better. If tick rate 1 puts an out of place tick, tick rate 2 will sound even worse because the whole rhythm it creates doesn't fit. >.<

If you're using such a long slider (like in that screenshot) that doesn't call for any ticks, then there's nothing to do besides dealing with the tick, but at least it sounds better than if you used tick rate 1 or higher...

What I mean is if there's an out of place tick even with tick rate 1, then tick rate 2 will sound even worse :?

Please link me that map and I will look into a better solution.
sorry, I misunderstood what you said, so it doesn't fit your example. However, my map had a slider that started on a 1/4 and lasted 5/4 so tick rate 1 put an out of place tick (though looking back on that, I think a 3/4 slider and another beat might have been better)
EvianBubble
Personally, I like tick rate 0.5, it works really well in for me. I've been stuck with tick rate 1 for now, which is fine, but I honestly don't understand why tick rate 2 is supposed to sound like OMGEARGASMIC (joking, obviously) or something o_O I'm pretty sure I've played a couple of maps that have had 0.5 tick rate and I thought it fit perfectly
Luna
pieguy, even if the music doesn't specifically ephasize every whole beat, tick 1 will still always hit rythm and basically always sound nice. I really can't think of examples where tick 1 would be "too busy" if the BPM is correct. Because it hits the beats. Always. Ticks are not supposed to emphasize musical cues, they are mostly just keeping a stready rythm. Ticks should usually not fall on heavy beats since they are such minor elements, so them hitting "unemphasized" parts is only natural. It's a way of keeping the rythm going without overemphasizing every beat.
It's not even a loud sound or anything, so it really doesn't disrupt anything and if if you use sliders in really quiet parts with mostly vocals or something you can always silence the ticks.
Topic Starter
pieguyn
The music doesn't always keep a constant rhythm, though. Most songs have pauses in the rhythm where having a tick just wouldn't fit, but still something to map to :?

(And I thought silencing ticks was unrankable for no reason = =... Apparently it's not, but I don't understand why this is unrankable:
Finally, you cannot silence both slider ticks and slider slides together.
However, that's a whole new issue that I'd rather not discuss here)
mm201
Basically what Luna said. If the map dominantly follows 1/1 patterns, tick 1 has to make sense because ticks are weaker elements than circles. If there is any rhythm of any kind, there should be sliderticks to uphold it. If the concern is that ticks are too powerful, try lowering the volume or choosing a better sound.

The map I prepared that screenshot from normally uses tick 2. On music which uses tick 1, it's rare for a slider to belong on a red tick.

3/4 and 3/2 sliders having ticks inside them creating a hemiola pattern is a part of the game formula. It's supposed to happen.

pieguy1372, please be honest: Do you just not like ticks at all?

Edit: I retitled your thread. Tick 0.5 is dead and gone. 100% of all arguments in here are for "sliders with no ticks, period." Please continue discussion under this context.
Natteke

Luna wrote:

pieguy, even if the music doesn't specifically ephasize every whole beat, tick 1 will still always hit rythm and basically always sound nice.
What if I don't think it sounds nice? Man, this is so subjective
Luna

Natteke wrote:

Luna wrote:

pieguy, even if the music doesn't specifically ephasize every whole beat, tick 1 will still always hit rythm and basically always sound nice.
Then you silence the ticks. They still make musical sense, if you just dislike the tick hitsound that's no reason to remove ticks altogether.
Mismagius

Luna wrote:

Natteke wrote:

Then you silence the ticks. They still make musical sense, if you just dislike the tick hitsound that's no reason to remove ticks altogether.
Some people say that is unrankable.
Topic Starter
pieguyn
In fact, having 0.5 tick rate sometimes works better than 0 and 1 on easier diffs, because they have a slower pace. Removing ticks in those cases entirely would be kind of odd in cases where they still fit something, but where having 1 would be too fast :?

However, having just tick rate 0 would be fine :) especially when it got denied before.

pieguy1372, please be honest: Do you just not like ticks at all?
I'm fine with ticks, but I think they're misused most of the time. I made this thread because I figured that the community would be for keeping it so that it could be useful in some cases, and if you consider only normal users it's 5 for, 3 against currently (and I'm quite sure many more would find it to be useful, as well)

If the map dominantly follows 1/1 patterns, tick 1 has to make sense because ticks are weaker elements than circles.
If there is a part that does not follow 1/1, and is slower and softer than the rest of the song, it will seem out of place in that part.

Also I knew I had heard it was unrankable before. Apparently you can silence ticks as long as the rest of the slider isn't silenced, but as I said I would rather not discuss this here = =//
NatsumeRin

pieguy1372 wrote:

If the map dominantly follows 1/1 patterns, tick 1 has to make sense because ticks are weaker elements than circles.
If there is a part that does not follow 1/1, and is slower and softer than the rest of the song, it will seem out of place in that part.
Add an example here: imagine you're mapping a Easy/Normal for Evans, what would you do for the 3/4 part?
Sakura

NatsumeRin wrote:

Add an example here: imagine you're mapping a Easy/Normal for Evans, what would you do for the 3/4 part?

Sakura Hana wrote:

Enphasis on "make sense" for isntance i once was making a mapset in which i required the use of 3/4 triplets, since the music holds and enphasizes those 3/4 triplets a slider would work out nicely, however, since for the most part the most constant instrument was going at 1/2 rythm i was using slider tick rate 2, and the 3/4 sliders had a repeat for the triplet, so it would create a tick very close to the repeat as soon as it reached 1/2, to counter this i silenced ONLY those ticks on those sliders so it wouldn't sound awkward.

So yes i do agree with silencing sliderticks as long as they make sense with the song, if they indeed do clash with the way the slider in question is mapped.
That's what i would do
mm201

Blue Dragon wrote:

Some people say that is unrankable.
Read up. It's not.

pieguy1372 wrote:

I'm fine with ticks, but I think they're misused most of the time.
Please explain. I have yet to see a map with its tick rate set too high. These almost always get modded and fixed. (For some reason, the reverse isn't true nearly as often.)

pieguy1372 wrote:

and if you consider only normal users it's 5 for, 3 against currently (and I'm quite sure many more would find it to be useful, as well)
Not everyone views this thread. Your tendency to reject MAT/BAT in your counting is worrying, since they are the players which the community has identified as the most capable modders/mappers with the highest standards.

pieguy1372 wrote:

If there is a part that does not follow 1/1, the BPM is wrong. Following a beat is an elementary musical concept which every song has to follow.

pieguy1372 wrote:

Apparently you can silence ticks as long as the rest of the slider isn't silenced, but as I said I would rather not discuss this here = =//
Then stop talking about it in here?? Create a thread if you must.

NatsumeRin wrote:

Tick rate being a property of the music, not the map difficulty, you would continue using the tick rate you used on Hard and Expert.
Ekaru

mm201 wrote:

If there is a part that does not follow 1/1, the BPM is wrong. Following a beat is an elementary musical concept which every song has to follow.
This. Often the reason the ticks clash for one specific part is because you didn't halve the BPM for that part when the music supports it. In other words, if the percussion suddenly has a beat on every other white tick instead of every white tick, then you need to halve the BPM for that specific part so the tick rate's correct for that part (remember to also add an inherited timing section to set the right slider velocity!).

And before you ask, yes, this is rankable, as long as the percussion supports halving the BPM for that part.
Topic Starter
pieguyn
Please explain. I have yet to see a map with its tick rate set too high. These almost always get modded and fixed. (For some reason, the reverse isn't true nearly as often.)
Often, I see maps with tick rate 2 where IMO it doesn't fit (in fact, I've only seen one map where tick rate 2 was used well IMO). However, that's a different subject entirely, and it's just my opinion...

Not everyone views this thread. Your tendency to reject MAT/BAT in your counting is worrying, since they are the players which the community has identified as the most capable modders/mappers with the highest standards.
MAT/BATs are more likely to view this thread, and we already know that most of them supported removing it, the idea here is to focus on the community's opinions :?

Also, I'm quite sure there are a lot of people who support tick rate 0.5 (and/or 0), who haven't viewed this thread.

So if there's a song that quite obviously has the right BPM, but it has 4 beats with a pause or a whole section that has a slower pace or feeling? Changing the BPM for that really isn't correct...

Tick rate being a property of the music, not the map difficulty, you would continue using the tick rate you used on Hard and Expert.
It really is not a property of just the music... the feeling of the map is also important, having too many ticks can create too much of a fast feeling in easy/normal diffs >.>

There was one map I made that was a 200BPM Demetori song and I used tick rate 2 along with 2/1 sliders to create a fast feeling, even though the "correct" tick rate under your definition was 1, and it played quite nice (though now I would use other methods to create a fast feeling = =) because it gave a fast feeling...
Cheer-no

pieguy1372 wrote:

Also, I'm quite sure there are a lot of people who support tick rate 0.5 (and/or 0), who haven't viewed this thread.
My guess is that a lot of people share the same opinion I have - that is, ambivalence. I'm slightly against it personally, not because I think there's very much application to it, but because I think it's silly to remove a feature that's already in and isn't broken. (You can get tick rate 8 via osuhax, why not remove that too while you're at it?) It's not much of an opinion though, I could care less if it was removed.
NatsumeRin

mm201 wrote:

NatsumeRin wrote:

ok then, based on this assumption, let's use tick 1 for all diffs and find what happens.

Evans is a famous song and i just think we should all know it, but still, in case of any misunderstanding, let's put that 3/4 part's beat here, its:

O..O..O..O..O.O.O..O..O..O..O.O.O

in a Hard/Insane diff, it's easy to just avoid using any sliders longer than 1/1, (also the beats calls you to do so naturally), so maybe you all get something like this, it's totally fine with tick rate 1.

But in a Easy/Normal, i'm pretty sure you can't use 3/4 sliders all the way, then 3/2 becomes a nice beat you could choose, and let's say it may like this:

Let's compare them then:

O..O..O..O..O.O.O..O..O..O..O.O.O ---- original beats.
O...o.O.o...O...O...o.O.o...O...O ----o is the tick

It's totally out of place and not musically correct. Also it's easy to imagine tick rate 2, even worse.

So for songs like Evans, especially in Easy/Normal, ticks would be just annoying. Silence them may help a bit, but they still shows in an incorrect place with incorrect beats. Why not let mappers just use tick 0 for such cases and you don't really lose anything plz? Or you mean musical incorrect is just fine with the ticks?

RandomJibberish
In that example the ticks will still land on 1/1s and not sound too bad. Also, the ticks would even out if you used tick 2 :P
NatsumeRin

RandomJibberish wrote:

In that example the ticks will still land on 1/1s and not sound too bad
serious?
RandomJibberish
Yes? The ticks would follow a constant 1/1 beat which is also in or implied by the music at that point.
Sure

RandomJibberish wrote:

In that example the ticks will still land on 1/1s and not sound too bad.
You're overmapping now.
yongtw123
I think this whole issue gets down to "pleasant to the ear or not".

NatsumeRin's opinion is correct if you place higher priority on "how the map plays the hitsounds out".
RandomJibberish's opinion is correct if you view solely on the musical theories.

So I think the issue now is: "Should acoustic appeal be overridden by musical theories, or vice versa."
HakuNoKaemi
Yes to tick rate 0.5, for the double BPM song that needed tick rate 1 with normal BPM, maybe allow but discourage tick rate 0.25 as i can provide decent in the 0.5 double BPMs cases.

No to 0 tick rate, there are no song that tick rate 0 fit. And if you find using that yourself, you are probeably doung something wrong.

Section Variable tick rates are the best correction to the problem but they don't want to introduce them.
mm201

pieguy1372 wrote:

Often, I see maps with tick rate 2 where IMO it doesn't fit (in fact, I've only seen one map where tick rate 2 was used well IMO). However, that's a different subject entirely, and it's just my opinion...
This is what leads me to believe you (and tick 0.5 users, more generally) just plain don't like ticks. I've found tick rate 2 is virtually never misused, because the BAT are very good at catching and stopping a too-high tick rate.

Simply put, you have a different understanding of how ticks work than myself and many of the BAT. Specifically, you think ticks must represent some prominent musical pattern. They don't. If there's a prominent musical pattern, you should use a hitcircle or a slider head/rebound. Ticks specifically go in places where there isn't a prominent beat and they work like a metronome, marking out the smallest recurrent musical division.

If you find it unpleasing when ticks are used in this way, I really think you should set a skin to silence them, since many maps will keep on coming out which use ticks in this way, in no small part because it's the way the game was designed.

If the game was designed to use ticks in the way you want to use them, they wouldn't be used for scoring.
show more