Performance Points (pp) is a ranking metric aiming to be more contextually relevant to a continuous game like osu!. It aims to shift the focus from being on the amount of time played to the actual skill of the player.
The new metric was initially released in April, 2012 as '???' during a testing phase, being finally renamed to "pp" (Performance Points) on the 17th April 2012. It remains in an ongoing testing phase.
The performance points ranking can be founded here 
It can also be found from the Main page (Rankings -> Performance)
The calculations involved are currently not publicly known, but some guidelines have been released:
- Favours skill, and cannot be farmed.
- Weighs difficult maps higher, using a unique formula based on publicly unavailable statistics.
- Diminishes naturally over time (if you are inactive for a year you'll lose up to half your score).
- There are no penalties for "bad" scores — only rewards for good ones.
- All ranked and approved maps are included in calculation.
- Accuracy is considered.
- Play mod weightings are slightly adjusted for fairness.
- Updates every 30 minutes. May become real-time in the future.
- For non-osu! modes (Taiko/CtB) mode-specific difficulties are favoured.
- If your score is not in the top 1,000 scores for a map, it will not be considered.
Increasing your rank
Your performance rank is predominantly based on your performance on individual maps. The easiest way to improve it is to improve your rank on difficult songs.
- Play better, rank higher on songs.
- Work on getting some really high ranks, not thousands of "okay" ranks.
- Get higher accuracy (even 1% difference can help light-years!)
- Rank on highly contested maps.
- Rank on harder difficulties.
- Improve old records.
|Picture example. pp can be founded at your account page under "General" tab.|