Aspire Returns For 2017
The Aspire beatmapping contest returns again to welcome in 2017 - with a new distinctive twist, and featuring the sound of one of our most-loved Featured Artists - Helblinde!
Aspire has long been the premier high-level beatmapping contest since its inception in 2014, producing two incredible beatmaps that have pushed the boundaries of what both the game itself and its players are capable of.
It is now time for a third person to join their ranks, or perhaps for one of them to reach the behind the veil and become something new.
Think you have what it takes?
The song choice for this contest is from Helblinde, one of our earlier featured artists. A new release from his latest album, Ephemerality, The Solace of Oblivion takes the reins as the grand encounter for anyone brave enough to try.
You will be tested. This Aspire is not like any other.
Nearly six minutes of twisted, weaving rhythm paints an open and sprawling vista for skilled mappers to truly make their talent be known. Everything from composition, to theme, to patterning will need to be considered in order to make this herculean duration work for you, rather than against you.
This map is long - some may say too long, but they are simply the minds closed to the potential that lengthier maps bring to the table. From fabled mapsets such as Near Distant Future, United and The Pretender, mappers and players alike have cut their teeth on the extreme challenge that both mapping and playing these masterpieces require.
A true test of beatmapping skill.
The rules are thus:
- This contest is for osu! (standard) mode only.
- The osu! Ranking Criteria DOES NOT APPLY to this contest.
- You may submit ONE difficulty to the contest. This may be of any difficulty tier that you wish, though Aspire contests typically attract Expert (5.25+) and above.
- The map itself must be able to be passed, with mods or otherwise. Maps which autofail (defined as immediately failing at the end of the map when played by Auto) will be immediately disqualified, no questions asked.
- Any entries with additional resources (hitsounds, storyboards, etc) must be submitted in .osz format, with a size no greater than 20mb. Accounting for song size, you have roughly 11mb of asset space available for your use. Petitions for additional space must be sent via forum PM to Ephemeral.
- The drain time of your entry must be at least 70% of the song’s total length. Basically, you have to map at LEAST 70% of the song.
Unlike previous Aspire contests, this contest will be judged primarily by double-blind community voting, similar to the previous Community Beatmapping Contest. Intrepid mappers will need to pull out all the stops to keep their audience engaged - or risk losing it all.
The top 2 maps voted for shall receive the following prizes:
- 1st place: 6 months of osu! supporter, unique Aspire 2017 profile badge, osu!news showcase featuring their winning entry and an Elite Mapper: Aspirant forum title (or special incrementation if they already have an Aspirant/Elite Mapper title), mapset enshrined forevermore as an “Aspire” class Approval map.
- 2nd place: 3 months of osu!supporter, mapset enshrined forevermore as a Loved beatmap
Honorable Mentions as judged by an independent panel shall also receive 1 month of osu!supporter each, as well as a mention in the announcement post. Exceptional mentions may also receive a variant of the 2nd place prize, including entry into the Loved category.
Entries will remain open for only 32 days from the date of this post. Time is of the essence. Check the contest listing for a handy countdown timer.
Remember, use everything at your disposal. Storyboards, hitsounding, timing points - everything that the game gives you is at your fingertips to be used.
This is no ordinary beatmapping contest - even among Aspire contests, this is something completely new. Don’t submit ordinary beatmaps if you want to win!