forum

How to Play osu! Like a Pro Megathread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
lukewarmholiday
This thread is for the info not mentioned in the FAQ but still notable and more focused towards self improvement.

Input styles

Try Z/X if mouseclicking and alt clicking is too hard.(this would use both hands, one for mouse and one for Z/X)
If you have the money, see if you enjoy a tablet.
Mess with mouse/ingame sensitivity if you feel like your hand is getting exhausted or flying off the pad.(If your mouse is flying off the pad mouse acceleration can be a culprit.)
Use a solid color mousepad or a sheet of paper.(This only truly applies to cheaper mice)
Turn off mouse acceleration.(google it, even if you suck right when you turn it off it doesn't matter. it's like changing sensitivity, just get used to it. It should only take a day at most.)
If your sensitivity is very low, and you refuse to go higher, you may just want to leave mouse acceleration on.

Spinners

Spin small if you spin slowly.
Spin small on harder maps during first playthroughs.
Spin large if you have a high dexterity.
Spin the direction that feels natural.
Smaller circles are more controllable.
Turn off mouse accel and see if you can spin faster/easier. With mouse accel on I end up making small circles around the outside of the play area when I'm making perfect circles on my mousepad, it's all about the speed/distance garbage mouse acceleration is.

Repeating sliders

Hold until the moment you have to click the next beat, in case one lasts longer than you expect.
Unfortunately, having problems with Repeating Sliders usually boils down to memorizing the map since most don't follow the beat that well.

Jumps

If you're having issues with jumps, try experimenting with mouse acceleration off.
If you find jumps to be a big issue, try gradually increasing your mouse sensitivity. This helps with keeping your wrist from getting into awkward positions by minimizing how much your hand actually moves.
Practice makes perfect.

IF YOUR MOUSE IS FALLING OFF THE MOUSEPAD

Either you have some unbearably low mouse sensitivity or it's mouse acceleration, if it bothers you a lot, turn off mouse acceleration.

Offsets
Fix your universal offset, done right you will probably notice a lot less 100s.
If you want to go for accuracy, get a timing ear for adjusting individual offsets to what you like.
Offset hotkeys are available ingame durings songs, just push - or + on your keyboard

Other
Play maps you can't beat, you'll get better faster. Trust me.
Watch a replay before playing the map.(Autoplay works too, doesn't really matter this is just to prep you for some jumps or mapping errors)
Don't use crappy skins that have too many visual effects that can end up blinding you/cluttering your view.

Taiko

Watch some of the replays first to get an ear for the beat.
Just cause they're big, doesn't mean you have to mash both keys.
Sometimes alternating between sides on your drum (like, mine are G H for left and right don(center), and T Y for left and right kat(rim), can mess your timing up. Try tapping on one side for a little and see if it helps.
Just as musicians tap a foot or bob a head to the beat to help them keep rhythm and time, Try this as well! It helps me with EVERY music game I play (beatmaniaIIDX, Taiko no Tatsujin, DDR, Guitar Hero, GFDM, Pop'n music, etc.)
BECOME FAMILIAR WITH THE TRACK! listen to it a few times before attempting it! so you'll get a feel for how the track flows!

Catch the Beat

Use shift to move faster.

If I missed anything about this very in depth and complicated game please tell me.

All relevant info will be posted in first post, no need to read through the thread.
Gopice
Spin small if you spin slowly
Spin small if you are planning to play insane maps, as this will give you a higher recovery rate.
Gens

lukewarmholiday at the thread title wrote:

Was the caps abuse intended?
It bothers me
0_o
I've always wondered how Pro Megathreads played osu!.
Topic Starter
lukewarmholiday

Gens wrote:

lukewarmholiday at the thread title wrote:

Was the caps abuse intended?
It bothers me
good, it caught your interest
MegaManEXE
I honestly thought this was going to be a troll topic when I clicked it

A lot of this is good info though for newbies
Topic Starter
lukewarmholiday
Well I'm sick of seeing the exact same advice posted over and over.
anonymous_old
Add a note about playing with both hands, using one hand for one key on the keyboard and clicking with the mouse or tablet with the other hand.
Ivalset
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
schimdth
I add to this thread try watching the replay of other player and not the replay of auto mod. Observe how did they play
the beatmaps
Lucidity

lukewarmholiday wrote:

Don't use crappy skins that have too many visual effects that can end up blinding you.
*Petitions to include an option to remove Kiai time*

OT: At least put in some more effort into the OP if you don't want people to ask questions. If you put in 2 mins of effort don't expect it to be successful.

I don't see why you get irritated by players' will to learn and improve though. If you see a thread asking for help: Don't open it. (I'm a genius)
MegaManEXE

schimdth wrote:

I add to this thread try watching the replay of other player and not the replay of auto mod.
Or you can kill two birds with one stone and just watch Cyclone's replays
Lucidity
What's up with your avatar?
MegaManEXE
I <3 kioukiou
Topic Starter
lukewarmholiday

Lucidity wrote:

lukewarmholiday wrote:

Don't use crappy skins that have too many visual effects that can end up blinding you.
*Petitions to include an option to remove Kiai time*

OT: At least put in some more effort into the OP if you don't want people to ask questions. If you put in 2 mins of effort don't expect it to be successful.

I don't see why you get irritated by players' will to learn and improve though. If you see a thread asking for help: Don't open it. (I'm a genius)
Or you could shove your fist straight through your dick and out your mouth.

The fact this thread is helpful took backseat to the fact this isn't a hard fucking game. But I guess some things are a little less known so I decided to just state what I could think up for the moment and wait for community responses to fill in the blanks.(Although I'm angry I forgot about mouse acceleration) The same answers(or should I say Similar answers, since you're a cunt who has to be 100% politically correct), are all that are needed to address the threads.

So why sit as people post the same exact shit over and over.
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Real1
Turn off "Enhance Pointer Precision"
Wut? If I do that, I reaaaaaally suck. Can't play with that off.
Topic Starter
lukewarmholiday
It helps you in the long run.

Trust me, I don't know a single person in any FPS team I've been in that still uses it.

It's going to take you a day or two to get used to it being off, maybe fiddle with your sensitivity a bit too.

Seriously with mouse acceleration on not only do you have to have good hand eye coordination you have to be used to different speeds moving your cursor different distances.
Real1

lukewarmholiday wrote:

It helps you in the long run.

Trust me, I don't know a single person in any FPS team I've been in that still uses it.

It's going to take you a day or two to get used to it being off, maybe fiddle with your sensitivity a bit too.

Seriously with mouse acceleration on not only do you have to have good hand eye coordination you have to be used to different speeds moving your cursor different distances.
While I trust that you are right, I don't think I'll change it. Jumps are usually not a big problem for me, and I am ranked in the top 100 players which takes some skill, I think I'm too used to it now to change it. :o
Topic Starter
lukewarmholiday
This isn't and end all for sure, you can be good rubbing a mouse against the side of your tower.
But for a noob player thread I suggest it off.
show more