forum

Changing Usernames

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
Due to popular request, I have added a facility to allow changing usernames. There seem to be a lot of people that sign up with a username they aren't happy with, so it is now possible to change your name once. You do have to have an osu! supporter tag, but this limitation may be removed at a later stage. More details available here.

Enjoy and don't abuse.
sp1ky
Sanityedit: Nice one
ztrot
This is a very nice feature!
Topic Starter
peppy
Before anyone thinks otherwise, if you use this for "fun" and change your name to something stupid, I will not give you a second chance.
braian5234
Great! 8-)
WhoAteFred
It only took half an hour for people to abuse this. I'd be disappointed, but I am used to this.
Pokebis
I miss it already. :cry:
Cuddlebun
good thing I work fast 8)
Topic Starter
peppy
Now less prone to stupid people trolling others with links.
Crakila
Sweet!

@sp1ky change to IronE :P
Derekku
A couple of questions:

1) Will the user's old name be unobtainable?
-Example: Todesengal changed her name to Cuddlebun. Will someone else be able to grab Todesengal?

2) If #1 makes the old name unobtainable, could Search be modified to redirect to the new user's name?
-Example: I search "Todesengal" and it takes me to Cuddlebun's page. (Essentially tying the old name to the account)

Wait, nevermind. http://osu.ppy.sh/u/osu_cn_yaya :V
Topic Starter
peppy

Derekku wrote:

A couple of questions:

1) Will the user's old name be unobtainable?
-Example: Todesengal changed her name to Cuddlebun. Will someone else be able to grab Todesengal?

2) If #1 makes the old name unobtainable, could Search be modified to redirect to the new user's name?
-Example: I search "Todesengal" and it takes me to Cuddlebun's page. (Essentially tying the old name to the account)

Wait, nevermind. http://osu.ppy.sh/u/osu_cn_yaya :V
You bring up a good point...

For the time being the old username will be obtainable by others. If you are worried about this being a problem, then don't change your username yet. I may look at the possibility of reserving the old one at some point. I think most people who want to change their names won't be that attached to the old name (they shouldn't be if they are changing it) so apart from obvious impersonation attempts (which can be dealt with on an individual basis) I don't see there being too much harm the way it is.
Mashley
Thanks peppy <3
Krisom
It would be wise for the mappers who will change their names to add to the tags their old names when they map something new.
Shohei Ohtani
This is sexy.

I'll just wait until Justin becomes unpopular then I go "osht"
Takuma
sup
Neo Adonis
More nickname changes and I won't recognize anybody. D:
Andrea
Nice, nice.

But please people before changing the nickname take a minute :x
Zetta

Justin Bieber wrote: