iPhone Dev
292 posts
Hello everyone,
I'm nuudles and for the past few months I've been teaching myself how to code for the iPhone/iPod Touch. My first project to really learn the SDK was to be an Ouendan clone when I discovered this website and thought it'd be cool to collaborate with peppy and create something that would be compatible with all the existing osu! content. Fast forward to now and I'm a lot more adept with the iPhone SDK than I was before and the project has come a long way, slowly unfortunately due to my general lack of time. Anyway, it has gotten to the point now where I can make an official announcement for it and show off a couple screenshots. Also pretty soon I'll probably open up for beta testing for those who are interested. You must have a jailbroken device for beta testing. Eventually I will release on a public Cydia server and also submit my app for the App Store. Currently it works with all the beatmaps I've tried and the infrastructure is there to work with the current osu! skins as well. peppy's been a lot of help with this project and he's been testing since I had something for him to test with. Here are some (old) screenshots of my progress so far:

osu! Alumni
12,353 posts
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
ImageImage
Twally Spocks is best pony ♥
Proud user of Etna Sliders.

You'll never pierce my admintium armour.
Rhythm Incarnate
539 posts
OMYGAWD!!! its alive! however i dont want to jail break my touch so ill wait till you release it on itunes :D keep up the good work! im willing to pay for this app, if you do plan on selling please dont make it super costy
For every person that tells you can't accomplish your goals there's someone that will support you no matter what.
osu! Alumni
12,353 posts
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
ImageImage
Twally Spocks is best pony ♥
Proud user of Etna Sliders.

You'll never pierce my admintium armour.
iPhone Dev
292 posts
awp wrote:
It'll probably be minimal cost under the "osu! is free always". That's my guess. Or, if it were to cost money, hey offsetting dev costs right? <3

Current plan is to charge $0.99 for the first month or so to recover the license cost, then make it free. Of course for jailbroken devices it'll always be free.
Spinner Sage
147 posts
How portable is the code? Any chances that parts of this code could speed up development for other platforms?
Last time I was alone with a woman that wanted my body, I became an organ donor. OOOH! badum ch
Rhythm Incarnate
1,041 posts
If I ever get a plan for my iphone I'll get it asap *drools*
collapsed text

collapsed text
Tempo Trainee
6 posts
count me in for a app store dl

unjailbreakable itouch 2g :(

awesome idea!

is there going to be like a beatmap downloader too? wifi beatmap store would kick ass.
iPhone Dev
292 posts
Gilrad wrote:
How portable is the code? Any chances that parts of this code could speed up development for other platforms?

The code is mostly portable between iPhone and OSX. With a few changes, it could probably be compiled to work with OSX. That being said, it'd probably be best to continue to wait for the changes to allow the current osu! codebase to be used via mono because peppy's code is a lot more robust and updates would be a lot easier for robust. My code is also pretty much geared towards the iPhone and its benefits/flaws. Of course snippets of my code could possibly be used if someone was interested in changing from Objective C to another language.
iPhone Dev
292 posts
Binome wrote:
count me in for a app store dl

unjailbreakable itouch 2g :(

awesome idea!

is there going to be like a beatmap downloader too? wifi beatmap store would kick ass.

That's gonna be tricky. For jailbroken devices it'll be easy to create a downloader that links to the official site's beatmaps (probably be part of osu!), but I think I'll have a harder time of getting that to fly on the official App Store, what with most of the site's beatmaps including Mp3s.
Tempo Trainee
6 posts
nuudles wrote:

That's gonna be tricky. For jailbroken devices it'll be easy to create a downloader that links to the official site's beatmaps (probably be part of osu!), but I think I'll have a harder time of getting that to fly on the official App Store, what with most of the site's beatmaps including Mp3s.

tap tap revenge has something similar for beatmap downloads(and its on the app store)
17,756 posts
It'd be interesting to look into what kind of licensing TTR has on the music they provide..
Cymbal Sounder
30 posts
Don't look down there!!! O_o
Rhythm Rookie
1 posts
I'm not 100% on this, but from what I remember, when TTR was a jail broken app (before app store) I Believe that it used your own song library or mp3's. When it went official they had to go legit with the songs for the obvious reasons, plus the SDK doesn't allow access to your music library.
Rhythm Rookie
1 posts
I think, at first, they had their own music (with a name like "Tap Tap Tap" by DJ Tapulous, probably) but not only do they now have music from artists that sell on iTunes, they now have some big names like Katy Perry and Weezer, and a Nine Inch Nails edition of the game.

I hope this makes it to the App Store. As much as I liked the PC version when I played with it, I'd much prefer tapping on a touch screen.
Locked 119 posts jump | 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  next