forum

Ability to disable Storyboards [Duplicate]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
nomedeusuarionaodisp
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy
Storyboards will not be disabled. Please tell me which maps cause problems, what problems they cause (be SPECIFIC) - where when etc.

There's no way they should have that much of a negative performance on your experience. And I doubt RAM is the problem - if anything it would be the fill rate of your graphics card.
An64fan
Despite having running issues with heavily storyboarded maps, I have to say that I think it would be best to leave the storyboarding alone. Peppy has said in the past that we should play maps the way they were meant to be played. I agree. No matter how many times I fail You're my Inspiration from lag, no matter how much having Metaknight flying circles around me distracts and intimidates me, I feel that it's only right to play those maps with the storyboarding, because that's how the mappers made them. Imagine if we could turn off storyboarding? Everyone would be S-ing Metaknight's Revenge unfairly. :P
Topic Starter
nomedeusuarionaodisp
I have 256 MB of RAM, and a graphics card with the same amount. Hell yes I finally got something! I love you, GeForce 6200
And just for curiosity, I left Process Explorer open besides osu! and watched a replay on Without a Fight, the heavily storyboarded (and completely awesome!) map I cited here. Upon clicking the song, osu! skyrocketed up to 170 +/- MB, then came back to its usual 50~70. The virtual memory got to something around 600 MB at some point D:

By the way, once I restart the fatty map enough times (3 or 4, usually), it stops lagging so much.
peppy
You still haven't answered my question. Here's some tips for reference in case you didn't understand what I am asking for:

23:10 < peppy> !faq lag
23:10 < BanchoBot> Lag is a very general term, which can be used to describe just about anything
going wrong with anything.
23:10 < BanchoBot> If you are going to complain about lag, please be specific in exactly WHERE
the lag occurs, and WHAT it involves (internet lag? graphical freezes? slow
framerate? input lag? brain lag?)
23:10 < BanchoBot> Also mention when the "lag" occurs, if there are any special conditions for it
to occur, and if you have any idea what caused it. Also make sure to check
nothing else is running on your PC which could affect CPU/memory/disk usage.
Topic Starter
nomedeusuarionaodisp
Well, no problem then.
Maps: Without a Fight, You're The Inspiration, and probably all others that have a lot of storyboard elements. (Funnily, this doesn't happen in Counting You Up.)
When it happens?Whenever I start playing them.
What happens? The game freezes in a black screen for several seconds, consumes a lot more of RAM and puts a heavy load on the HD. I presume this is when it loads all the storyboard elements. The frame rate during the first seconds of the map isn't perfect. Then, when the song starts, as soon as the first hit circles appear, the frame rate drops dramatically, usually resulting in failing the song when the FPS comes back to normal. Sometimes it comes back before failing. Once I restart the map two or more times, this "lag", "freezing" or whatever it's actually named normally does not come back. If I go back to the menu and then to the song again, the same "loading the storyboard but still kinda laggy when the beats appear" thing happens.
peppy
Yeah okay - this is definitely your PC being the bottleneck.

As you are playing with less than the recommended RAM I can't really help you, though. You may want to try shutting everything else down on your PC before running osu!. I mean *everything*.
FurukawaPan
There would appear to be some lag introduced on maps where something loads for the first time (I can tell because it never lags when I restart the map, and has *obviously* been cached). I suppose precaching storyboard resources before playing a map would solve this, at a cost of having to wait a bit longer before the map starts.

The same issue can occur for custom hitsounds, or late starting videos too (Catch You Catch Me will *always* lag at the instant the video starts, on the first play, but not again).
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.

Echo
I remember when sampleset changes and custom samples were loaded only at the instant they were needed... those were interesting days indeed :P
FurukawaPan
wierd, and I'm running 3GB Ram with no page file, so this isn't an issue of page thrashing...

Could be my sound card acting up again.. that thing is really awful. Can't replace it either, stuck in my laptop.

Only other thing I can think of that I know makes my game momentarily freeze is when foreigners
<american accent>(furrnurs)</american accent> post funny characters in chat. Korean or Russian frequently does this. :lol:
peppy
Turn off the chat ticker then? Or install a unicode font.
Vieroz
to nomedeusuarionaodisp (hope i'm not too late giving this advices) :

- first of all, osu! needs about 190,000 kb to run perfectly on 1024x728 windows mode (idle on multiplayer)
- secondly, Operating System itself using about 64,000 kb to run their processes

solving suggestion :
- change osu! resolution to minimum as you can, and do the full screen mode
- turn off anti-virus, turn off all your icon on notification area (beside your clock), turn off all non-OS start-up
i hope this will help you out,

well, if all above doesn't help at all, just buy a new RAM (1 GB should be enough)
theowest
oh.

Many people delete the SB because it's too disturbing to watch. YES. They do disturb gameplay and deleting BG might also improve gameplay too. The more you focus on the actual beats, the better your play will be. For n00bs that play a lot of easy beatmaps, this isn't a problem. But for pro's who's got loads of beats to have a watch on, this becomes a problem!

Just sayin'.
Waryas
^ lol at necropost.
theowest

JesusYamato wrote:

^ lol at necropost.
hehe.. I know right. 2 year old. But.. What I'm sayin' is important.
Gens
You know this isn't necessary. Continue the discussion in the *active* thread, if you need to say anything else. What you said though, has already been mentioned in the other thread (and in many others too), so I don't recommend you to bring it up again.