forum

osu! in JavaScript & HTML5

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Clemaister

Hey people,

TheCameleon and I are working on a new project : program osu! in JavaScript and HTML5 in order to make an osu! on web, to make it playable directly on a browser.

Advantages :
- Osu! could be played on many touch phones able to suf on internet.
- People who can't play the game for some reasons (Mac & Linux users, people using a computer that does not have good performances etc...)
- Players will be able to try the game (whitout creating account), before downloading it which will avoid people who never play the game saying "Oh, this game is fucking stupid".

Disadvantages :
- Very long project.[but that's a detail]
- Graphism will not be as nice as osu!.

Some people will say that it's really a mad project, but we know that's possible, mostly with the powerful new element in HTML5, <canvas>.
Of course, it'll be easier and faster if we had the source of osu! to have an idea more clear of structuring the program, but we know that a source is not a thing easy to give so...

You can try it at
www.osu-web.tk

Anyway, hope you'll like the idea of this project.
Also I'll post here some projects by TheCameleon, to show what he is able to program.

Links:
- Osu! web
Links Removed

Power of progamming languages (JS) :
Balldroppings
FPS Game
Other possiblities for JavaScript

- Projects of TheCameleon
Pictuga
BeatMP3
mekadon_old
HTML5
But some touch phones don't support HTML5 =[
[quote]- People who can't play the game for some reasons (Mac & Linux users, people using a computer that does not have good performances etc...)[/quote]
Not really. osu! will lag worse than normal if it's played in a web browser since it will use more CPU power. Acceptable if graphics are scaled down though

You should contact peppy though if you want to continue :)
Good luck :D
Topic Starter
Clemaister
But some touch phones don't support HTML5 =[
You got right, edited.

osu! will lag worse than normal if it's played in a web browser since it will use more CPU power. Acceptable if graphics are scaled down though
Of course, we'll try to make not too much images, so graphics will be scaled down.

Good luck
Thanks ^^"
Neo Adonis
It's the craziest idea I've ever heard. But it's excellent!!

Call me when it's done. :)
peppy
HTML5 canvas is a huge cpu draw in most current browser implementations, without any hardware support; don't expect huge performance. That said, I do wish you luck and will be looking on at your progress.

Sorry but I don't share source code for these kinds of projects, and even if I did it won't actually help that much. I can provide some specs documents for the osu file format and whatnot, though.
Neo Adonis

peppy wrote:

HTML5 canvas is a huge cpu draw in most current browser implementations, without any hardware support; don't expect huge performance.
First at all, I think you should forget about storyboards and videos. But I think all the other stuff is possible with JavaScript. I think it will be better if you use html5, but being a technology in development, it's convenient to use JavaScript and XHTML ATM.

Seriously: continue with the project. I don't wanna see it dead. OK? ;)
peppy
@Neo: I think you missed the part where html5 does not replace javascript.
Topic Starter
Clemaister
Sorry but I don't share source code for these kinds of projects
Don't worry about it, I totally understand.
Digikid13
Sounds interesting, I'll be willing to help if you need anything.
anonymous_old
ITT people who don't understand one problem.

It is currently impossible to stream audio (without Flash) (1) with reliable offsets (using <audio>/<embed>/etc.) or (2) with a small buffer size (using Mozilla's API).

Currently, Flash is just a much better tool for this job.

Clemaister wrote:

Of course, it'll be easier and faster if we had the source of osu! to have an idea more clear of structuring the program, but we know that a source is not a thing easy to give so...
A C# XNA game structure will probably not fit with a JavaScript game structure. JavaScript and C# are fundamentally different languages and deserve very different program models. But I won't bother getting into that. If you can't provide a prototype, there's no point in you even seeing the source code to osu!. And honestly, I doubt you can get a prototype running.

But good luck.
mm201
I could only see the small fragments dealing with timings, scoring, etc. being relevant.

WebGL seems like a better tool for the job than raster drawing to a canvas.

If you think this is going to be a good choice for low-spec machines, think again.
Topic Starter
Clemaister
It is currently impossible to stream audio (without Flash) (1) with reliable offsets (using <audio>/<embed>/etc.) or (2) with a small buffer size (using Mozilla's API).
But Javascript could call a flash containing the audio.
peppy
I can't say I've tried myself, but audio sync seems relatively possible based on http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/
anonymous_old

peppy wrote:

I can't say I've tried myself, but audio sync seems relatively possible based on http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/
Yes; audio cues could work. That still doesn't let you sync hit sounds, though; they'll sound 100ms off, which would be horrible for streams.
Topic Starter
Clemaister

strager wrote:

peppy wrote:

Yes; audio cues could work. That still doesn't let you sync hit sounds, though; they'll sound 100ms off, which would be horrible for streams.
Please check Balldroppings, you'll see that's possible.
mekadon_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

If you think this is going to be a good choice for low-spec machines, think again.
This, and

strager wrote:

It might be possible to change the offsets of the music and the hitsounds amirite?
Topic Starter
Clemaister
Yeah I think it's possible, anyway it'll be ok for that.
anonymous_old

Clemaister wrote:

That uses Flash.
TheCameleon

strager wrote:

Clemaister wrote:

That uses Flash.
Yes it does ;)

Now, I can post on this forum, as Clemaister played a few beatmpa for me so as to "unlock" the forum ;)

I think you can now have a look ther > http://osu.pictuga.tk/
Now it's kindda powerful !

What works right now?

HitCircles
CircleApproach
Combos (color + number)
Clic on HitCircles

What doesn't work ?

Music (that sucks I know)
Sliders
Spinners
Everything else lol

The link for more informations > http://www.pictuga.tk/fiche-311.html
anonymous_old
What made you choose JS/canvas over AS3/Flash?
show more